Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 PM

115 posts, read 228,901 times

Advertisements

People get murdered everywhere, and for random reasons.

Colorado News and Denver News: The Denver Post

Also I recall a college student was gunned down walking home in Highlands Ranch last spring. Run as fast as you can from highlands ranch!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
We have failed to mentioned Englewood City Center on the old Cinderella City Property. This was the first Transit Oriented Development (TOD) built in the area. Englewood is a very dense small city, near Hampden and Broadway. It is not the expansive addresses that the Post Office uses, miles and miles away. I think it fits the definition of new urbanism because it mixes retail, housing in a walkable area. What makes this development much different is that it is built adjacent to the Englewood Rail Station. Shops in and around this development include King Sooopers and Walmart. In addition, it has quick access to walkable stores on Broadway and a major bus route (Route 0). What makes this area, very exceptional is that is right down the road from Swedish Hospital and all the associated clinics. There is even a free shuttle that runs through old Englewood, "ART".

I think Englewood is a great area of seniors because you have great public transit; good basic shopping walkable and close by; and one of the best hospitals and number one trauma center with Swedish Hospital. Most of you, who are young, probably do not realize that there are many senior residences near the hospital which would make sense as you get older and that need becomes more necessary. Senior live in this area do not need to own a car to get around because it is very dense. There is even a senior center right near Broadway and Hampden.

I think New Urbanism fits better in infilled developments of established neighborhoods. I am very familiar with Highland Garden Village (The old Elitch's Gardens). I live just a few miles north of that area, off of Tennyson, in Arvada. This development has the advantage of being next to the tremendous walkable neighborhood of Tennyson Street (The Berkeley Neighborhood) and the fast gentrifying neighborhoods in North Denver, along West 38th. It is just a short distance to the nice walkable area of Highland Square in the West Highland neighborhood at 32nd. and Lowell. In addition, the residences have the advantage of the good basic shopping stores along Sheridan and into Wheat Ridge. All this area has good services, is walkable, and has good public transit. I want to mention all the expansive parks and lakes that exist in this part of Denver from Berkeley Park Lake and Rocky Mountain Lake Parks to Sloans Lake Park.

You can also note the Water Tower Development near Old Town Arvada and an example of infilled new urbanism with dense housing and with the advantage of being surrounded the established neighboorhood of Old Town. We can even state of the development along Old Littleton, near the rail station, as another good example of infilled development. Let us also not forget the nice development done at Street at Southglenn in Centennial, at Arapahoe and University. There is Lowry, in Aurora, at 6th and Yosemite--another example of infilled development of new urbanism.

If you look around the area, you can see many examples of old neighborhoods that already have basic necessities that are being improved by rebuilt and new housing. They do not also have to be defined and labeled as "new urbanism". It could be just one street and one intersection of stores. Maybe they were at one time "trolley car neighborhoods" like Gaylord Street, or South Pearl, or the Bonnie Brae Neighborhood of Denver.

There will be some big old/new infilled developments that will be coming in the future. One wil be the Old University of Colorado Health Science Center in the Hale Neighborhood near 9th and Colorado. Another big project will be the redevelopment of the old St. Anthony Hospital, South of Sloans Lake. Not to mention, all the new developments that will be popping up along the new rail stations that are now being built. There is going be many new infilled developments near soon to completed rail West Rail Line into Lakewood. I can talk about the redevelopment of the old Gates Rubber site and the properties adjacent to the Broadway Station, the redevelpment of old Children Hospital etc.

This area has much going for it. It is amazing and shocking to me when I see the developments happening all over the city and the suburbs. Just going downtown dazzles me with the new and old all melding together. There are so many choices for people to find a good place to live--you just have to get off the highways; get out of your car and look around. Ah, the Denver metro area is a great place live now; and will be a much better place in the future.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-04-2011 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
We have failed to mentioned Englewood City Center on the old Cinderella City Property ... ... Ah, the Denver metro area is a great place live now; and will be a much better place in the future.
Livecontent
Awesome posting! +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,276 times
My boyfriend has (had) pretty severe asthma. It was always worse during allergy season. When we moved here from the east we had no idea what to expect but to our surprise and his delight it is much better on him here. I have no idea why, maybe the lack of humidity, maybe because he exercises more. We climb 14ers in the summer, mountainbike, we ski, snowshoe and cross country ski in winter and he uses his inhalers and meds way less. When we were in NY he was on 3 different inhalers and 2 prescription meds. Now he just has one inhaler, no meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver