Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM

13 posts, read 17,258 times

Advertisements

So I've been reviewing a few threads and apologize for any repetitiveness that may occur, I'm new at this and I'm doing my best

My boyfriend and I are moving to Denver coming from the East Coast, me from Connecticut (originally from Southern Maryland) and him from New York. He'd fell in love with CO years before and me on a more recent trip, we've both been looking for a fresh start and this is it. We're lucky enough to be able to work from home for the time being, but after getting settled in I will most likely hit the pavement in search of a more traditional job. I just graduated with my Business degree but have 6 years corporate experience to go with it and although I'm not certain what exactly I'll be looking for I know I'll want to be close to the city in order to grab an opportunity that may come. I've read some rough reviews on the commute so if I were to get a job downtown I'd prefer my commute to be less than 30 minutes but I'm flexible.

We're not moving til' September but I like getting a head start. I've been looking at Littleton and Lakewood but not firmly commited to either. I really like being close to the water but I know in CO that's not an easy thing to come by so I'm obviously flexible... but it'd be nice! I know the extent of this around there is creeks and reservoirs. We'd be renting for a year or two so we can get a real good feel of things before buying, any suggestions on apartments. Right now I'm really looking at Carmel Riverside Apartments in Lakewood, anyone with specific info on this would be awesome a well.

About us, we both love the outdoors (hence the gravitation towards this beautiful state) and enjoy an active community. We're in our late 20s and although the energy of a younger community is great we are more homebodies than 'bar-hoppers' so we prefer to not live right in the middle of the activity but have easy access. We love sports (especially hockey!) and like going in to catch a game.

Also, once we move we're going to want to think of ways we can connect to the community and get to know people - any suggestions? I may go back to school for my MBA but I'm not sure yet so classes aren't an option. We're very social people so we're hoping to make friends quick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,978 times
forget water, you're moving here for the mountains. if you can work from home, find a nice spot in the foothills. golden has a nice downtown, closer to skiing, great bike riding out your front door and easy access to denver.

edit- also you've got a natural water park on clear creek in golden.

Last edited by woob; 04-11-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,777,818 times
Lakewood puts you closer to the mountains, but Littleton puts you closer to Cherry Creek(and other extremely minor waterways) and Cherry Creek State Park. On a day to day basis, you'll have more outdoorsy recreation available from the latter. You'll also have light rail access in Littleton, which can bring you to those Avs games.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I think I'm definitely siding with Littleton right now, any ideas on apartments out there?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,141,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrockergirl View Post
I think I'm definitely siding with Littleton right now, any ideas on apartments out there?
Google something like "apartments that back to the Highline Canal in Littleton." You'll get results like Southbridge Townhome - Backs to Highline Canal. You can have Littleton, and at least a taste of water.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,325,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Lakewood puts you closer to the mountains, but Littleton puts you closer to Cherry Creek(and other extremely minor waterways) and Cherry Creek State Park. On a day to day basis, you'll have more outdoorsy recreation available from the latter. You'll also have light rail access in Littleton, which can bring you to those Avs games.
I think you're thinking of Chatfield State Park/ S Platte River. CCSP is in the SE part of the metro area, Littleton is in the SW.

Lakewood has the Bear Creek, some small reservoirs, and tons of foothills/hogback hiking as well.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Southbridge looks nice but those are purchases townhomes. We are going to rent for a year and then buy, since we're coming from out of state we're resigned to a complex for the time being. I've done alot of online research but I know that can only take you so far. I was hoping to get some insight on Cottonwood Creek apartments in Littleton. Current/previous tenant insight as well as insight from those who know the area.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who just moved out there but she's still new herself and not aware of the nuances in a given area but at least she can do walkthroughs for us. The great thing about here is that I can get the advice of natives or at least those more settled in

P.S. My boyfriend thinks I'm obsessing about a place where we only intend to stay a year but I think it's important to be happy with where you live regardless of the term.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,777,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I think you're thinking of Chatfield State Park/ S Platte River. CCSP is in the SE part of the metro area, Littleton is in the SW.
Yep, I messed up. I think I was thinking of Centennial geographically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver