Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 46,113 times

Advertisements

Hello OP, I too am planning on moving from Portland to Denver.

My husband and I moved to PDX for my full time job 11/10. Unfortunately by 5/11 my hours were drastically cut and we cannot afford to live here anymore.

I have spent tons of time in Colorado and have family west of Denver in Leadville.

I have to second the thoughts on Evergreen. That would be my preferred location to rent/buy a home. It is beautiful and less front range-y. It also seems commutable to Denver.

As a native Oregonian, the Denver and Colorado weather will be quite a switch for you. It is very dry and even the cold weather in winter doesn't feel that cold. I usually just wear a fleece and vest. The cold damp of the PNW is actually more uncomfortable at least to me. The mountains of Colorado can produce a color of sky I have never seen anywhere else in this country. It is almost purple and is sooooo beautiful. In the mountains in the summer it is also cool to watch the thunderstorms come in at about 1pm. Lightning strikes are a real danger if you are hiking however.

Good luck on the upcoming birth and move. I think you will love Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,753 times
I recommend exploring the western/foothill suburbs of Lakewood, Arvada, Wheatridge, and Littleton. Ken Caryl Ranch might be good for you - it's fairly secluded with a community center, etc. but an easy commute into downtown.

We've lived on Green Mountain in Lakewood for 4 years now, and we love it. Easy access to I-70 to head up to the mountains; C-470 takes you down to Chatfield Reservoir, 6th Ave goes right downtown. We are right down the street from Green Mountain Rec Center, with an indoor pool and lots of programs for tots. Great schools in the neighborhood too - Devinney Elem, Dunstan Middle and GM High School.

I delivered both our boys (9 months and 2.5 years) at Exempla Lutheran Hospital in Wheatridge using the midwives at Westside Women's Care (wanted a natural birth but with medical backup, which almost became necessary both time). I highly recommend the hospital, the midwives, and especially the New Moms' Group - a great way to meet other moms in the area (and you don't have to have delivered at Lutheran to attend).

There are a number of cloth diaper stores in the Denver area - Giggling Green Bean in Highlands and eco-Politan in Lakewood. eco-Politan hosted a location for the Great Diaper Change to break a Guinness World Record, which I participated in with my toddler. You'll see a lot of babies in Ergos and Mei Tais here... There are a lot of Whole Foods as well as Sunflower Market and Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage. There are also farmers' markets all over the city - we go to the one at Belmar on Sundays (though there's only one actual FARMER selling produce).

Other ways to get out of the house with kids are Music Together classes (google Petite Musician), sign language classes (google Signing Smart) and stroller fit classes. We also have a family membership to the Zoo, which is a great toddler energy burn... HTH!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflamingo View Post
I recommend exploring the western/foothill suburbs of Lakewood, Arvada, Wheatridge, and Littleton. Ken Caryl Ranch might be good for you - it's fairly secluded with a community center, etc. but an easy commute into downtown.

We've lived on Green Mountain in Lakewood for 4 years now, and we love it. Easy access to I-70 to head up to the mountains; C-470 takes you down to Chatfield Reservoir, 6th Ave goes right downtown. We are right down the street from Green Mountain Rec Center, with an indoor pool and lots of programs for tots. Great schools in the neighborhood too - Devinney Elem, Dunstan Middle and GM High School....
Ken Caryl Ranch is a very nice unique area to live, as you say secluded but an easy commute.

I think the Green Mountain area in Lakewood is going really take off in price appreciation because of the soon to completed (2013) West Rail Line and the Federal Center Rail Station off Union. This is now called the Cold Springs Park n' Ride and is one the largest PnR in the system which will be convert to many connections around the Rail Station. In addition, St. Anthony Hospital just opened their new hospital across from this coming Rail Station.

I would look for a place to live, in and around this area, North and South on Kipling and Garrison. There are Great Parks and nice developments south on Garrison and Kipling. Green Mountain is West on Alameda but East on Alameda there are nice areas and you get nearer to the new urbanist development of Belmar at Wadsworth.

Livecontent

Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,156 times
Can I ask where you ended up? We are also from Oregon and looking for a good place to call home near Denver. We have a three year old with another on the way. I also do the midwife, cloth diapers and our ergo. Thanks for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver