Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,576 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm moving with a friend from Providence, RI to Denver in a couple months and I'm not sure which neighborhood is best for us. We want to be close to Downtown and/or where all the 'action' is but we need resonably low rent. In fact, I'm having a hard time even figuring out where and how to find an apartment. I'm really only finding big apartment complexes that don't really seem to suit our needs. How reliable is Craigslist in the area for apartment searching (Providence can be hit or miss)?

I've done some research, and it seems that Capitol Hill or the Highlands would be good, but I'm not sure if they would accomodate us. We will have a car as we will be venturing out to the mountains on many weekends for hiking and stuff. I get the image that Cap Hill may be too dense for having a car. I'm not really sure what to make of The Highlands having never seen the area.

I'd appreciate any help! I'm very excited for this move but I need to have a plan first. Thanks!

Last edited by AlexPVD; 08-03-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
try padmapper.com
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM

That's a cool tool! I've never seen that before. May be a good alternative to Craigslist

Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPVD View Post
That's a cool tool! I've never seen that before. May be a good alternative to Craigslist
One of the regulars on here put us on to that site, which pulls data from any number of rental sites, including CL. The nice thing is it displays the results on a map, which really aids in figgering out where one should look.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

229 posts, read 423,691 times
Highlands is one of the best areas (in my opinion) in Denver. Cars are fine, can be a bit tight depending on where you are in the highlands but very walkable and very close to downtown. Tons of great restaurants, lounges, shops, and nightlife too. I always recommend Congress Park East of downtown and also Platt Park south of downtown where you can find lots of great rentals for a decent price.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM

It really does seem that the Highlands would be best. After playing around with Padmapper, I was really impressed. I'll surely be using it on this hunt!

When you say that there are lots of bars and restaurants and the like in the Highlands, would you say its more 'in-and-out' of the venues with your friends, or is it more vibrant neighborhood feel. You know, people hanging out outside and being social in the streets. I can't help but desire that coming from a city as small as Providence.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPVD View Post
It really does seem that the Highlands would be best. After playing around with Padmapper, I was really impressed. I'll surely be using it on this hunt!

When you say that there are lots of bars and restaurants and the like in the Highlands, would you say its more 'in-and-out' of the venues with your friends, or is it more vibrant neighborhood feel. You know, people hanging out outside and being social in the streets. I can't help but desire that coming from a city as small as Providence.
I've been to Providence a few times and got the feeling it was rather lively. It seemed like a little city with a big city feel, sort of. But then I was hanging out around Brown... maybe it was just all the students that made it seem like a fun place.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Oh, Providence is totally a lively place! It's just that everyone here keeps to within their social circles and usually aren't interested in meeting people outside of that. It has a huge student population with wealthy students from out of state. I think that adds to that effect. I was really wondering about the friendliness of the specific neighborhoods. I was in Austin recently and I was making friends all over. The East is certainly much different than the West in that aspect it seems. So I'm curious about the friendliness of Denver.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM

229 posts, read 423,691 times
Well......lol...

I personally think Denver is pretty fun and have never had problems meeting people. It probably won't have the "vibrant feel of a small college town" for that you'll have to go to Boulder. The highlands is a pretty cool community though and my wife and I spend plenty of time there and have always had a great time. There are those who will tell you that Denver people are cold, distant and not very friendly, but to each their own. I think Denver people can be a little reserved but again I've never had problems meeting anyone here and find people very welcoming. Compared to what you're saying though, it's not like people hanging out on street corners and talking all over the place, but there is plenty going on with opportunities to meet tons of people especially if you get more into the outdoors scene and lifestyle.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Thanks for your honesty. I'm just a very social guy who likes to meet new people and lots of them. So, I appreciate your help! I think it should work out okay. Originally I was Austin bound, but due to other circumstances, I'm coming to Denver. The outdoors here are a major draw and I think involving myself in that will introduce me to new things and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver