Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM

11,824 posts, read 34,425,536 times

Advertisements

First:

FHA loans have always been 3% down, and then the borrower would pay MIP (Mortgage Insurance.) VA loans can be 0% down, and the buyer is precluded from paying certain closing costs (great deal for the Vet)

Conventional loans used to be at least 5% down - anything less than 10% required PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) Somebody had a brilliant idea and came up with an 80% first and a 10 to 15% second at a higher rate, but no more dreaded PMI.

No Docs and Low docs (documentation) loans have been around for at least 10 years.

Second:

Properties are relatively safe investments for lenders to package and sell as securities on Wall Street to REITs, China, Teachers Unions... That is one reason that interest rates on properties have been lower and fairly stable.

In areas where there is little supply and more demand the prices will continue to go up (NYC, Beverly Hills, DC, Wash Park.) In other areas where supply and demand are reasonably met prices will be stable. In harder to sell because of amenities, commerce, jobs, transportation...the will be more supply and less demand and prices will fall and houses in that area will be on the market longer....Anyone seen the market in Florida or Michigan?

Third:

Buyers buy houses based on what they see. Your property and your competition, and for the most part, they buy the best value, based on their subjective needs. Sellers price their house base on what other buyer have willingly paid other sellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
FHA loans have always been 3% down, and then the borrower would pay MIP (Mortgage Insurance.)
Thank you for clarifying. I though something was weird in your last post.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 55,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Where are the people that can afford those places? I personally think, because Denver - especially Denver proper - appeals to those have those high paying jobs that are probably based out of other cities. They may have employers in New York, Chicago and such (I'm not saying all of them) and are able to telecommute, go into their home base once or twice a month...I've seen it down here in C Springs too.

I also think that as Denver becomes more appealing to international companies because of the location of the airport, it's a modest place for many employers to set up a remote location.

Not that I know anything about economics but Denver and the metro area appeal to very high paid people for the lifestyle, access to a good airport and the lower cost of homes here compared to NYC, Chicago, SF.
As a former NYC/DC resident who now works for a big employer, I need to say:

--I don't know of any major corporations who set up base in central Denver. Most companies who moved here set up headquarters in the northern suburbs (Broomfield, Westminster) or around the DTC.

--Housing costs are cheaper here than in many larger cities. That said, most of my colleagues who relocated here moved closer to where they work. I do have a few co-workers who live around me, but my company has a very liberal work-from-home policy.

--If people with high-paying jobs moved here, why is it that housing prices skyrocketed in the Denver Metro area during the nationwide economic downturn (2002 - 2005)?

Yeah, Denver's a great place. So's SLC. So's San Diego. Everybody wants to move somewhere. Everybody wants to move here. Denver's a nice place. There's just something so off about the housing prices. I think it's because of cheap credit. You tighten up the credit standards, housing prices will have to go down as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mol666 View Post
Supply and demand, fine, I can certainly see that.

The problem is, where are people getting the money to afford these prices? Denver's not like SF or NYC in that there are very few high-paying industries here. We don't have a lot of finance types here who have 6 figure salaries + bonuses. There are wealthy families, for sure, but nothing like in more established cities.

The one advantage Denver has over similar markets is we never had the big condo conversion here. It is possible to live in a decent apartment, work a $10/hr job, and live well here.
Well, Central Denver is (still) a pretty diverse area -- you still have multi-millionaires living just a few blocks from minimum wage workers. But, as you pointed out, the sad thing is that the pendulum is definitely shifting to the multi-millionaires and away from the minimum wagers, who are gradually getting priced out of Central Denver. In recent years, the suburbs have become clearly cheaper than Central Denver from both a rental and a housing value perspective, and the gap is clearly widening with Central Denver appreciating and the suburbs with flat property values.

I'm not happy about this. The suburbs are basically disposable: their housing stock will decline and there will always be shiny new suburbs to replace them. However, we have one and only one Central Denver; once it becomes too expensive, then it's lost to the average joe. That isn't a good thing.

However,

Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 55,492 times
Quote:

Properties are relatively safe investments for lenders to package and sell as securities on Wall Street to REITs, China, Teachers Unions... That is one reason that interest rates on properties have been lower and fairly stable.

In areas where there is little supply and more demand the prices will continue to go up (NYC, Beverly Hills, DC, Wash Park.) In other areas where supply and demand are reasonably met prices will be stable.
Precisely why housing prices have skyrocketed. Housing was considered one of the few stable investments after the dot-com crash. The Fed lowered interest rates to attract more activity into the economy. Lower interest rates, cheap money, easy credit... prices skyrocketed. Houses became more of an "investment" rather than a place for people to live.

I have seen real estate crashes in Boston, New York, and suburban Washington DC during my lifetime. I have also seen these same markets rebound. Real estate seems to be cyclical. We have just hit the peak of our cycle in Colorado and I really think we are headed towards a downturn.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Somebody had a brilliant idea and came up with an 80% first and a 10 to 15% second at a higher rate, but no more dreaded PMI.
Are you writing tongue-in-cheek? Mortgage insurance is a way for lenders to mitigate losses in the case of non-payment and is a good idea for high loan-to-value borrowers. Second mortgages are often accompanied by low down payments, and when a home-buyer defaults, the second mortgage is the last to be repaid. This is why piggyback loans are toxic in the current financial market. Nobody's buying them, because they're just too risky. If the risk on the 10-15% seconds were priced appropriately, they would not necessarily have been bad. You’d just have 20% rates, and mortgage insurance would have looked affordable by comparison.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-14-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 AM

131 posts, read 492,660 times
I will say, Denver real estate is interesting. Unfortunatly, it was the major factor in my wife and I moving to Atlanta as it was a constant strugle between cost of living and salaries. However, I now realize why the real estate can demand such a high price. Denver as a city, is worth it. I hope the prices do take a down turn so that I may return in the future.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Salary to cost of living/housing ratio was better in Atlanta? Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver