Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 31,061 times

Advertisements

Stats:
3.5 years paralegal experience
Bachelors Degree + paralegal certificate
Looking for job in/around Denver.

Anyone have any advice/knowledge of the job market right now? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM

143 posts, read 275,500 times
I work with a lot of volunteers who are paralegal grads and they're finding it pretty tough to find a job here. A few of them have succeeded, but it's definitely a minority.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
Department Of Corrections. My sis-in-law is a paralegal there. She works at the home offices in Colorado Springs.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Autodidact- Do your volunteers have any experience already or are they fresh grads? Also, 2 year degree or 4 year? Thanks for any help. I'm trying to decide if i need to add something more to my resume before applying!

Sheridan L- Thanks for the info!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 11,998 times
It's a very tough market out here at any level in the legal profession. Even lots of attorneys find it difficult to get jobs.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
I'm a paralegal and work downtown. The market is tough for sure, but it also depends on your experience level. What do you specialize in? IP, immigration, environmental are all booming.

If you are just a para grad and have no experience, yeah, you'll have an impossible time finding work. These people are not in the same group as the ones with experience and a degree. You are in a much better position. Attorneys are having a tough time with finding work but the para's are doing much better.

Also, what part of the country are you coming from? Our law and rules are much different than the east coast and south.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I'm a paralegal and work downtown. The market is tough for sure, but it also depends on your experience level. What do you specialize in? IP, immigration, environmental are all booming.

If you are just a para grad and have no experience, yeah, you'll have an impossible time finding work. These people are not in the same group as the ones with experience and a degree. You are in a much better position. Attorneys are having a tough time with finding work but the para's are doing much better.

Also, what part of the country are you coming from? Our law and rules are much different than the east coast and south.
Hi DenverLawGal,

I am in the upper midwest. Its crazy the bad stuff out on the internet about jobs and paralegal stuff. I know the market is bad, but it just sounds impossible! The bachelors degree helped me get my current job. I work in a personal injury firm currently. I also know quite a bit of spanish and am working on becoming fluent if that helps.

Thanks for a little ray of hope. I know it's not easy AT ALL to get into Denver, but I'm hoping I can find a way in.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
Hello,

You really need persistence. Spanish definitely helps, especially in the immigration fields. The PI work will help you get into litigation, which is vast. The trick to a good salary is getting work downtown, in a large firm. Go for anything, secretary, floater. It will pigeon hole you for awhile, but what you need is work now.

Are you used to billing your time? Do you have an annual requirement to meet now? We are around 1300-1800 per year. If you can do that easily you might be able to get in as a paralegal without having to edge in as a secretary.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,257 times
I dont know about the paralegal job market but the Denver attorney market is horrible. I have over two years of experience and went to a first tier law school. I am getting interviews but i am being told that hundreds of people are applying to these low paying jobs at crappy firms that pay nothing and have way more experience than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver