Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA. I would LOVE to move to Denver. I have visited multiple times and I know this where I belong.

That being said, it's been challenging finding a job while living in Pittsburgh. I have over 7 years of sales experience and am certainly qualified for positions but I feel like living on the other side of the country is not attractive to some employers.

Any advice for finding a job??

Thanks! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Get a phone number with a Denver area code and put that on your resume, as if you already live here. Any form of local address in Denver would add to the appearance of being local. It may get you interviewed....

If you have about six months of living expenses saved up, you can risk coming out and trying to find your preferred job while you work in local retail or restaurants.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca_lynn View Post
I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA. I would LOVE to move to Denver. I have visited multiple times and I know this where I belong.

That being said, it's been challenging finding a job while living in Pittsburgh. I have over 7 years of sales experience and am certainly qualified for positions but I feel like living on the other side of the country is not attractive to some employers.

Any advice for finding a job??
If any employer shows the slightest interest whatsoever, hound them via email and phone until they agree to give you an interview.

Fly out to Denver for a couple days, and apply to jobs in person, try to meet the people you've been sending resumes to.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Unless if already have industry connections with people in Denver who can give you a lead or your skills are in extremely high demand field to the point where you have head hunters coming after you, chances are extremely slim that you'll even be able to get a job interview being on the other side of the country-- given the post-2008 employment market. Sorry, I wish I could give you some real nuggets of advice or sugarcoat it somehow, but that's the cold reality.

Mike, the phone number and local address thing does not work-- been there, done that (back when I was unemployed here and looking for jobs in other cities to expand my search). If you're currently employed it doesn't make any sense if your phone # & address don't match your workplace. BTW, while address does matter, phone number really doesn't matter any more-- these days everybody has cell phones, and it's expected that if you're from somewhere else you'll have a different area code cell phone. I once had a handful of pre-paid cellphones with different area codes, but it was all a waste of money. If you're unemployed, bluffing an address might help land an interview, but given the low statistical chance of getting a job offer from any one single interview, it can lead to blowing money very fast on last minute air flights, rental cars, and hotels. We're talking to the tune of ~$300-$750 for one interview, depending on how soon they call you out and what time of year it is. If you're unemployed & really want to live in Denver, it would end up being cheaper & more productive to just pick up and move to Denver and live in temporary housing.

Even if you physically live here & have the local address and phone number and everything, employers will still be very suspicious if you don't have any local past job experience or education on your resume. You better have some really good, solid answers on why you just moved to Denver (and don't say something like I moved here for the skiing).

It really is a catch 22, because it's 20x harder to find a job when you're unemployed than when you're employed, but unfortunately since 2008 geography matters more now than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: