Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

Hiya All...

I'm newer to the area & looking to pick up a few cheaper things 2nd hand:

* Wool winter coat (don't wish to pay full price as we'll be returning to CA in 1-2 years).

* Dr Marten-ish boots or hiking boots (to toss in the back of the car, just in case)

* Broken-in jeans (don't wear them often enough to pay $$$). I wear either men's small or US women's 4-8, depending on brand/style/fit. (Why can't women's trousers be waist/leg length like men's to make our shopping easier?!! Food for thought for future designers of the world!)

* Leather handbags... I'm a collector & can't accumulate enough vintage handbags... yep, I really use them all!

I'm looking for suggestions on stores where others love to shop. There are a lot of vintage stores/Goodwills/consignment shops scattered far & wide so I wanted to avoid driving all over the city for weeks... mainly as I dislike shopping. Yep, I'm a woman who hates to shop... go figure.

I've been to one in Lone Tree... everything is size large/X-large, including shoes... very little under an 11. Was at another in Englewood... my 80-yr old mum would love their sensible, brown, lace-up shoes & plaid wool skirts... just not my style. Found another while lost one day... fun shop for teens or Halloween partiers, but it looked as if a pinata exploded in it... filled with polyester, patent leather platforms & feathers.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I've never been there, but there's a Buffalo Exchange on 13th Avenue in Denver, near the Capitol. I don't know what their prices are like, but I've walked by a few times!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 AM

156 posts, read 717,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hiya All...

I'm newer to the area & looking to pick up a few cheaper things 2nd hand:

* Wool winter coat (don't wish to pay full price as we'll be returning to CA in 1-2 years).

* Dr Marten-ish boots or hiking boots (to toss in the back of the car, just in case)

* Broken-in jeans (don't wear them often enough to pay $$$). I wear either men's small or US women's 4-8, depending on brand/style/fit. (Why can't women's trousers be waist/leg length like men's to make our shopping easier?!! Food for thought for future designers of the world!)

* Leather handbags... I'm a collector & can't accumulate enough vintage handbags... yep, I really use them all!

I'm looking for suggestions on stores where others love to shop. There are a lot of vintage stores/Goodwills/consignment shops scattered far & wide so I wanted to avoid driving all over the city for weeks... mainly as I dislike shopping. Yep, I'm a woman who hates to shop... go figure.

I've been to one in Lone Tree... everything is size large/X-large, including shoes... very little under an 11. Was at another in Englewood... my 80-yr old mum would love their sensible, brown, lace-up shoes & plaid wool skirts... just not my style. Found another while lost one day... fun shop for teens or Halloween partiers, but it looked as if a pinata exploded in it... filled with polyester, patent leather platforms & feathers.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
I'm confused if you are asking for recommendations for the better "Goodwills" or if you want to avoid Goodwill. IF you are looking for Goodwill suggestions, I can say the one at Parker and Bellevue is great, as is the one in Parker. We find amazing things for my teenage DD there (like a practically new Michael Kors trenchcoat for $15, that we bought and then found online for over $300). I've never found good purse bargains there...but then again, I typically buy purses new (I love Last Call by Neiman Marcus online). Anyway, hope that helps a bit if that's what you were looking for. The Goodwills in Denver do have half-price Saturday about twice a month, and the stores will run an early bird special on jeans on those days...99 cents a pair. But you have to get there EARLY for that. Last time we were there, there was a guy with 120 pairs of jeans (I asked the cashier after he left) in his cart. He was snapping up all the designer jeans, and I assume he was going to ebay them.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
.... Last time we were there, there was a guy with 120 pairs of jeans (I asked the cashier after he left) in his cart. He was snapping up all the designer jeans, and I assume he was going to ebay them.
IIRC there was a TV segment a few years ago about just that very thing; people knowing what brands are hot and sell well on ebay, then scooping them up at Goodwill, Salvation Army and other outlets.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've never been there, but there's a Buffalo Exchange on 13th Avenue in Denver, near the Capitol. I don't know what their prices are like, but I've walked by a few times!
Maybe someone who's visited will respond. I've seen their store online (a bit hard to tell what's there, but it looks like it caters to the 20-ish crowd) & the reviews are 50-50 on Yelp. Will be worth a visit at least once though. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
I'm confused if you are asking for recommendations for the better "Goodwills" or if you want to avoid Goodwill.
If the store has what I'm looking for, nothing is ruled out. I have no problem hanging out at a Goodwill, flea market, rummage sale, yard sale or whatever other category finding goodies comes under.

Quote:
IF you are looking for Goodwill suggestions, I can say the one at Parker and Bellevue is great, as is the one in Parker.
Great, thank you! I'll google them. From experience, I know there are all kinds of Goodwills. There used to be a great store in an area I'd lived on the east coast... designer gowns, handbags, great housewares, etc. I was in my glory & never left without a trunk filled with goodies for very little $. I felt like it was MY store.

Like your story, suddenly, well-dressed younger people began appearing at the store with their smart, designer glasses, clipboards & trendy threads & haircuts. I'd listen to their conversations... they were snapping up pieces for their own stores! The horror! I wanted to chase them with sticks out of MY store! These were for my own use... not to sell at upmarket prices, I wanted to yell from atop a table a la Norma Rae. Well, eventually, I did learn to share. Admittedly, I gave a few stern glances to the entrepreneurs who were 'stealing' my goodies, but I lost the desire to hide behind racks & snatch deals meant for me out of their baskets when they weren't looking. Sadly, it didn't take long before I no longer found anything at the store (the trendies must have been daily shoppers) & about a year later, they closed the store. Ah, well, it was good while it lasted.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC there was a TV segment a few years ago about just that very thing; people knowing what brands are hot and sell well on ebay, then scooping them up at Goodwill, Salvation Army and other outlets.
I read a story saying the same. Reminds me of living in Boston long ago & the $1 sales on the 1st Wed of each month. I lasted exactly 1 time for a few hours (only because I couldn't get to the exit... too many bargainers flying passed me from all angles at breakneck speed)... almost fainted.

Those $1 shoppers have very sharp elbows, big bulky coats (I think as a ploy to gain more floor space to keep others at bay from their table of $1 socks, PJs & discontinued makeup) & mean, surly gazes. Seriously, fights did break out occasionally... particularly on their $99 yearly wedding dress sale. You could not attend without steel toed Dr Martens & starving yourself overnight... low-sugar meanness is a great shopping incentive, it seems. I do love a good bargain, but I'm not a warrior in the fashion battlefield. I'm happy with the occasional lightly worn designer jacket & leather bag.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 36,643 times
That particular Buffalo Exchange is hit or miss. There is a store on S. Broadway called Boss Vintage that can be fun. I also like Perpetual Modern on W. 32nd Avenue.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM

143 posts, read 275,500 times
I shop at Savers and recommend it. There's a good one in Aurora on Sable around Florida or so.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee29 View Post
That particular Buffalo Exchange is hit or miss. There is a store on S. Broadway called Boss Vintage that can be fun. I also like Perpetual Modern on W. 32nd Avenue.
Beautiful! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
I shop at Savers and recommend it. There's a good one in Aurora on Sable around Florida or so.
Thank you, too! I appreciate everyone sharing. I'll post back if I find some goodies!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-22-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver