Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 12,195 times

Advertisements

So we've pretty much narrowed the areas where we are looking to move. They are Thornton, South Aurora, Littleton, Englewood, Centennial and Cherry Creek. Can anyone break these down for me in regards to the best schools, activities/nightlife, community/neighborhood, cost of apts/rental house, safety, and landscape? I just want to know which of these areas would be best for our family (myself, hubby, kids 18mo, 5yrs, 8yrs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Way too vague

We can help a lot more easily if you tell us more about you.
Where do you live now?
What do like about it?
What do you hate about it?
How much do you pay in rent or what is your monthly mortgage payment?
How far do you commute to work (miles and minutes)? How far are you willing to commute?
Where will your job be in greater Denver? Address, just not city.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Default A little less vague

Where do you live now? - SO CAL
What do like about it? - ILL HAVE TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT
What do you hate about it? - THE PEOPLE, THE WEATHER, THE TRAFFIC, THE POLITICS, ETC
How much do you pay in rent or what is your monthly mortgage payment? WILLING TO PAY UP TO $1200/MONTH
How far do you commute to work (miles and minutes)? How far are you willing to commute? - MY CURRENT COMMUTE IS ABOUT 20 MIN.
Where will your job be in greater Denver? Address, just not city. - NOT SURE ON THE JOB YET.

We prefer suburban living with lots of green space and close to some form of water (lake, stream, river, etc). A kid friendly neighborhood that is SAFE!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Default Padmapper time

With only $1200/mo to spend on rent, you need to visit Padmapper and get a feel for areas where you can afford the rent.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM

We have been looking at Padmapper and Hotpads. Finding a place that we can afford doesn't seem to be an issue. I just want to know what type of areas these places are so I know we are not moving into the ghetto or somewhere we do not want to be.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Census data

OK.
Combine Padmapper with Front Range Race/Ethnicity

You can zoom into a city block.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Im glad somone else posted this question. My family and I also want to relocate to CO. Maybe denver or the surrounding area. Somewhere safe to raise a family . California just isnt doing it anymore, to dangerous

Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyWyked06660 View Post
So we've pretty much narrowed the areas where we are looking to move. They are Thornton, South Aurora, Littleton, Englewood, Centennial and Cherry Creek. Can anyone break these down for me in regards to the best schools, activities/nightlife, community/neighborhood, cost of apts/rental house, safety, and landscape? I just want to know which of these areas would be best for our family (myself, hubby, kids 18mo, 5yrs, 8yrs).

You are all over the landscape with the areas you desire. Cherry Creek is not a city but a neighborhood in Denver--a very upscale area, nice but costly.

You also indicated you want to be around water bodies. There are no big bodies of water but there is enough to be sufficient.

Littleton is a small city in the southwest but many areas, nearby, do take the address, in unicorporated areas. The City is considerate nice old suburban with many of the out of city addresses as newer developments. Littleton is the Arapahoe County Seat.

Englewood is a very small dense old urban city that directly borders Denver. This city also suffers from the identity that many areas, that are even not contigous or near, take the address--so it is hard to define what you mean by Englewood.

South Aurora and Thornton are big expansive suburbs with sprawling developments. It includes many diverse type of housing.

Centennial is a more recent city that took in many unicorporated areas in Arapahoe County. It can very from older developments in the west to sprawling new developments to the east.

It interest me why you have not selected the western suburbs of Denver that is Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Golden, Lakewood, or South Jefferson County. These have more water resources being in and around the stream and creeks that come off the foothills. There are also many more reservoirs, and reservoirs are the only bigger bodies of water in this area. They are home to many well established and safe neighborhoods. Westminster is also a good choice. It is partly in the western suburbs but extends more North/Northeast with many newer areas with good shopping and extensive parks and water.

A very important issue that is not apparant to new comers is that Denver is much different from many other cities and can be considered, in many neighborhoods, having similiar amenities to suburban areas. It is safe, clean, progressive and safer than some suburban areas. In addition, it has extensive parks, trails and water resources. As such, it is not always the best choice to choice a suburbs over Denver.

Livecontent

Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Cherry Creek is not a city but a neighborhood in DenverLivecontent
Or, Cherry Creek is a large school district SE of Denver. http://www.cherrycreekschools.org/Pl...rict%20Map.pdf

Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Thank you livecontent for the info. We did start looking at Westminster and Golden as well. We have found quite a few selections of housing for what we are looking for in most of those areas. Do you recommend anywhere in specific in Westminster and Golden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver