Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM

284 posts, read 516,790 times

Advertisements

So I began writing to recruiters in the Denver area to get the ball rolling on a possible transfer .

I was wondering if anyone did the interview process while living out of state....and how long it took from the time you first started looking until you were living in the Denver area.

I would love to get something quickly, but I will not go unless I get a great offer, as it is my job here in the Northeast is very good for right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I applied for a few things while still living away, but I didn't have any luck. I don't know if it was because of the economy or because employers weren't interested while I still lived so far away. I ended up quitting my job and moving here without a job. Honestly the job I had was decent, but it wasn't an amazing opportunity I couldn't walk away from and I had plenty of money saved to cover me while I looked. I didn't work for the first 2 or so months I was here, then worked in a bar for awhile, and then after six months I got a job I really wanted and that was much better than the job I had back east. I wasn't hard core looking that whole time. Once I started really looking I found one pretty fast. Could have just been luck though. I know that's not exactly what you were asking, but hopefully that gives you some perspective. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
about 5 months and 90-100 resumes

Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM

41 posts, read 77,333 times
I started sending out resumes in August and got a few job offers from my initial sumissions (August) at the end of December. So, about 4 months.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM

284 posts, read 516,790 times
Thank you for your replies. Could you give me an idea of the interview process? Seems like it would be different for out of state candidates. I would expect a few phone interviews and eventually a face to face interview.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Ways to get a job in Denver while living out of state:

1. Quit (or go on some kind of unpaid leave) your job and move here, then try to find a job.

2. If your skills are in very high demand and hard to find in your field, you may have headhunters coming after you

3. Know people in Denver in your industry who can help grease the wheels of the application process, or at least network with.

4. Try to find a job with a large company that has locations both in where you are now and in Denver, with the hope that down the road you may be able to transfer.

5. Become self employed or a telecommuter with a job that you can work from anywhere.

6. Pure dumb luck.

7. Put the dream on hold until years from now when the economy improves, or when you retire.

8. Find a crappy job with a company experiencing very high turnover (bluescreen's post below reminded me about this option)

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 01-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: added #8

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
We moved back to Denver in June after 12 years in Dallas-Fort Worth. I got a cold call from a recruiter up here in late April, and after 3 phone interviews, a web chat, and an on-site visit to kick the tires I took the gig and moved up.

It lasted less than 6 months. The company was a total cluster. Luckily I was able to go back to my previous employer and work remotely.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 PM

9 posts, read 17,091 times
It took about 2 1/2 months. Mostly the time was spent waiting for initial responses to resume submission. In my career area, senior level project management, the wheels of hiring seemed to move very slowly. I did a lot of phone screening remote and then paid my way to Denver for interviews. This made sense to both me and the employers since my husband was already working here (I was still living remote).

I won't lie. It was stressful and expensive. In the end I had a couple of opportunities to choose from and will start my new job on Monday.

On the other hand, high tech seems to function differently. My husband was hired within a week after submitting one of his first resumes and had one phone screen and a skype interview.

Basically, I think how this goes will really depend on field you work in and your level of experience.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
I applied for a senior level position while living in Florida. I went through a few phone interviews and then they flew me out there for an in-person interview. I first submitted my resume in early October and I'll know if I got the job within the next 2 weeks. So about a 3 to 4 month process.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
It took 4 months for my dh. We were living in Phx and he was trying to get a job in Denver. After we switched to using my a family member's address in Denver, we got a lot more interest, only took a month after that. He did phone interviews and then when someone wanted to schedule an interview, he just booked a last minute flight (he would usually have 2 days notice or so) 2 flights and he had a job. He negotiated a 2 week delay to start so that we could move up and it was a done deal. Now finding a place to live proved to be a bit more of an issue than we thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: