Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
People forget that there are two fairly distinctive groups living in Denver metro. The first is the large number of transplants coming from mostly other metro areas outside of Colorado. At lot of those people have no strong connection to hunting, fishing, or firearms. The second large group in metro Denver are people who moved there from rural areas in the Rocky Mountain and Plains states because there are jobs in Denver. Many of these people have strong connections to the outdoors, including hunting, fishing, and firearm ownership. Many Colorado natives who grew up in the Denver metro area are hunters and gun owners, as well. Finally, there are the many people in Colorado who may hunt very little, if at all, but own guns for protection of themselves, or their loved ones and property. I happen to be one of those. In rural Colorado, most residents own and know how to use firearms. That is one reason that home invasions are pretty uncommon in rural Colorado. Criminals may be pretty dumb, but most are smart enough to know that breaking into an occupied home in rural Colorado may likely lead to them being killed by an armed homeowner.

Colorado is also a "must issue" state for concealed weapons permits, so a large number of Coloradans have permits and "pack." (I do.)

As for hunting, my usual adage goes--the farther away from the Front Range one gets, the better the opportunities are for hunting and fishing. Colorado has a very strict system for issuing hunting licenses for big game, with some licenses requiring drawing for licenses or hunting areas. Lots of info here:

DOW (http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)
I can understand if you live in the mountains where you could encounter bears/mountain lions, etc., why you would regularly carry a gun of some sort. But for me, going to work/gym/grocery store, etc. here in Denver, I've never needed a gun. Never seen an armed robbery in progress, been robbed, attacked, or in any situation where I needed the option to end a life or use a gun as a threat. I just don't get it and it seems like most people who legally carry concealed weapons do so out of paranoia. If you're not involved in illegal activities and have the common sense not to to go to shady places, the odds of you just stumbling onto the scene of an armed robbery, or being the victim of an armed robber, are incredibly minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I can understand if you live in the mountains where you could encounter bears/mountain lions, etc., why you would regularly carry a gun of some sort. But for me, going to work/gym/grocery store, etc. here in Denver, I've never needed a gun. Never seen an armed robbery in progress, been robbed, attacked, or in any situation where I needed the option to end a life or use a gun as a threat. I just don't get it and it seems like most people who legally carry concealed weapons do so out of paranoia. If you're not involved in illegal activities and have the common sense not to to go to shady places, the odds of you just stumbling onto the scene of an armed robbery, or being the victim of an armed robber, are incredibly minute.
I never used to feel the necessity to arm myself in Colorado, either, but there is a small, but increasingly violent segment in society these days, and they do exist in Colorado. Two of the strongest advocates I know for people getting CWP's and arming themselves have both been county sheriffs in rural Colorado and in Wyoming. Neither is the "paranoid" type, but they both made it all too clear that calling 911 and hoping that law enforcement can get there in time to save you from one of the increasingly dangerous cadre of criminals wandering around is not a particularly good survival strategy. I have never had to unholster my weapon to defend myself, either at home or traveling, and I sincerely hope that I never have to. But if I'm confronted with a situation that requires that, I will. It's just a form of insurance--I hope I never need it, but it's there if I do. As to wild animals, the odds of being attacked by one are probably considerably less than being attacked by another human. That's a pretty sad commentary about us as a species, I think.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I agree.

Let's discuss my INability to SHOOT
squirrels
foxen
pigeons
non-migratory geese
rats
in Denver.

I hate these creatures.
I should have the right to own a gun and shoot these "things" on my own property. But, I don't.
It's called an air-rifle or .22LR pistol and a certain amount of discretion.

Or there's always a trap.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

12 posts, read 36,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And the chance of your house burning to the ground are also incredibly minute, but you still have home owners insurance. Reason being, if the unthinkable happens, the consequences are devastating and life changing. Same for personal protection. Newsflash, CO has bad people in it, just like NY, or CA, or IL, or FL. Mostly good, but some bad, and a subset of those who are really, really bad. If your path crosses with one of them, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

For fans of guns and shooting sports, it's common sense. For people who have thought about it, it might make sense. For folks that happily go through life not giving it a second thought, until something terrible happens, well that is what it is.

Bottom line. you have an unarmed populace, you have an unlimited supply of potential victims. Bad people hate it when stealing a wallet or breaking into a house could result in them dying. Even morons like that realize that isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver