Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 14,142 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NC with my wife and 2.5 year old, but I've accepted a job a CU-Boulder and want to try living in Denver as we've lived in a big city before. I'm planning on using public transportation and would like to limit the commute to an 1 hour to an an hour and 15 minutes. We've been looking at apartments in LODO and they seem nice (and expensive) but I'm really worried that we'll be surrounded by younger folks who want to be loud and party hard on the weekends. We really like the idea of being able to walk to restaurants and other attractions like art museums. Does anyone have an suggestions for apartments that will be quieter than a dorm but still provide a nice walkability score. When you read the apartment evaluations it's pretty depressing because there are very few positive reviews for any of them. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncfannik View Post
I. . .I've accepted a job a CU-Boulder and want to try living in Denver as we've lived in a big city before. I'm planning on using public transportation and would like to limit the commute to an 1 hour to an an hour and 15 minutes. We've been looking at apartments in LODO and they seem nice (and expensive) . . .!
If you've accepted a job in Boulder, even considering all of your other concerns, unless there's a consideration like a spouse working in Denver, try looking in Boulder first.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Yeah if you work in Boulder, you should try not to live in Denver.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Get closer to Boulder

Look at Bradburn. Bradburn Village in Westminster, Colorado : UnSprawl Case Study : Terrain.org
Look at Olde Town Arvada. Olde Town Arvada

LODO is insane.
Do you really want to spend your life on a bus?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. There is in fact a good possibility that my wife will be working in Denver. I'm also very familiar with Boulder as that's where my in-laws live (perhaps one more reason to live in Denver if you you know what I mean). So for arguments sake let's pretend I've accepted a position at CU Denver. Are there any family friendly apartment complexes that you would recommend?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM

10 posts, read 31,785 times
Downtown with a child would probably not work so well. It's very loud well into the night. People, parties, motorcycles, music... the works. I'd strongly consider living in a NW burb, or half-way to Boulder, if you have a job in Boulder. Commuting 36 is notorious for being slow and painful, esp when the weather gets bad.

I used to live in Downtown Denver (4 years), even young and single, and even I wouldn't choose to live in the heart of LoDo. Living in LoDo is for partying and getting laid (crude, but serious). Living in downtown but not LoDo is for urban professionals working downtown or those that enjoy city life. Living in the burbs is for people who value sleep. I know you want to live in Denver (I still live in Denver proper), but commuting up 36 every morning is easier to rationalize looking at a map than when you're doing it.

As for specific apartment recommendations, I don't have any--sorry. All my friends/family live in central or South Denver. Don't even consider South Denver if you're commuting to Boulder. It'll take you 30 minutes just to reach I-70 from the Tech Center.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Get ready to pay more

Welcome to greater Denver and increasing rents.

"The apartment vacancy rate in metro Denver was 5.4 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011, the lowest year-end rate in 12 years...
Rents, meanwhile, continued to rise year over year. The median rent climbed to $870, up 2.8 percent from the $846 in the fourth quarter 2010...
Vacancy rate and median rent by county:
• Adams, 5.3 percent and $873 .
• Arapahoe, 6.8 percent and $840.
• Boulder/Broomfield, 4.4 percent and $993 .
• Denver, 4.8 percent and $834 .
• Douglas, 4.7 percent and $1,046.
• Jefferson, 4.4 percent and $836 ."

Denver-area apartment vacancies hit 12-year low for Q4 - Denver Business Journal

The full report should be at Colorado Division of Housing in a day or so.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM

10 posts, read 31,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
increasing rent stuff
This is truth. My wife and I bought a house last year and when we moved out of our apartment they wanted to increase our rent 7.5%.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Default Windsor at Broadway Station

I know it's tight. In fact according to those numbers it's tighter in Boulder than it is in Denver . Does anybody know anything about Windsor at Broadway Station Apartments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver