Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 14,843 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all,

I'm moving to Colorado right about the time my Texas DL expires, and also my truck's annual registration expires. Should I renew my stuff in Texas or wait for Colorado?

Also - does anyone know if it's advantageous to transfer vehicle titles in CO vs TX?

In Dallas for instance they charge tax on their perceived value, not what you actually pay. So if I got a great deal on a motorcycle for $2900 but the "blue book" is $4000, I pay taxes on $4k instead of $2.9k. I know it's dumb. Is that the same in Denver or will they accept what you say you actually paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,685 times
Titles and Registrations

Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM

27 posts, read 86,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambot69 View Post
Hi Y'all,

I'm moving to Colorado right about the time my Texas DL expires, and also my truck's annual registration expires. Should I renew my stuff in Texas or wait for Colorado?

Also - does anyone know if it's advantageous to transfer vehicle titles in CO vs TX?

In Dallas for instance they charge tax on their perceived value, not what you actually pay. So if I got a great deal on a motorcycle for $2900 but the "blue book" is $4000, I pay taxes on $4k instead of $2.9k. I know it's dumb. Is that the same in Denver or will they accept what you say you actually paid?
You're driver's license is fairly cheap. You have to go to the DMV for your county. There is no one Secretary of State Driver's Facility type place that covers the whole state. Note that the driver's license and the car's license plate facility might be in two different buildings (it is in Castle Rock for Douglas County).

Your license plate registration fees will be based on that particular vehicle's MSRP minus 15% and then multiplied by a % factor based on it's age. New or 1 year old? 2.1%. Two years? 1.5% etc.

See here: //www.city-data.com/forum/17378604-post50.html

They claim you need to prove 30 days residence for the driver's license but when I went, they never asked for proof.

You will also need a VIN Verification (ask your dealer - it's free) and an emissions check if it's over a certain age. Check Air Care Colorado :: Home ) DO NOT use the emissions place for the VIN verification. They charge a good bit for it. The dealer is free. Some counties will even come to you to do it, but then there is a small fee for it. Douglas County came to my house to VIN verify my motorcycle (yes, even they need the VIN verification).

There are also some misc. fees that I can't remember.

But don't renew your stuff in TX as you'll pay TX fees then new CO fees, and I'm pretty sure CO won't rebate or credit back anything paid in TX.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambot69 View Post
Hi Y'all,

I have the same question just going the other way. My CO tags expire in March, approximately 30 days prior to my move to Dallas. Do I renew here in CO or should I just wait until I get to TX? If I renew tags before leaving, will TX give me a credit that I can apply to TX tags?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,971 times
You can get your DL at any state DMV office and some county tag offices. Tags are only done at the county level.

Statewide you need a VIN inspection before you can get tags. The purpose is to make sure the VIN on the title matches the vehicle. Many auto dealers offer this service, as do some law enforecement offices. Expect to pay an average of $15 for the VIN inspection. If you are living or working in the Denver area you will need an emissions test before you can get tags and you can get the VIN inspection at the emissions center. Emissions testing is $20.

You will also need Colorado insurance on your vehicle. Bring your insurance card.

The advantage of getting Colorado tags is that you will be complying with the law and won't seem like a deadbeat Texan to your new neighbors. Colorado has administrative fees for not changing your registration soon enough (90 days from move).

Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
The advantage of getting Colorado tags is that you will be complying with the law and won't seem like a deadbeat Texan to your new neighbors. Colorado has administrative fees for not changing your registration soon enough (90 days from move).
100% agree. Another advantage is you'll be less likely to be pulled over by cops.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 14,635 times
if a change my drivers license from texas to colorado do i need to change my car plates and insurance?thanks

Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

170 posts, read 246,169 times
The requirement is to change your car plates after 30 days of residency here although some people get away with waiting 5-6 months until their insurance or plates need renewal. For your drivers license it is not as strict of a requirement to get a new one in this state right away unless you want to establish residency sooner then it would be a good idea to get a new one.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,635 times
i move from texas to colorado and want to get my colorado drivers license.i have my mom car with registration,plates,inspection and insurance that has my name on from texas.can i drive my mons car without change anything,or do i need to get at least insurance from colorado.thanks

Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,590 times
Default Prepare to be frustrated and stunned at the cost

We moved into our house in December and I have yet to register my husband's car. I've been to the county office 3 times (waiting on average an hour), each time they tell me I need something else and they won't give you an exact figure for the cost (at least at the Douglas County office in Lonetree) even if you show up with all the details of the car. I understand that I will have to pay a penalty but, it's such a small fee in comparison to the outrageous cost of registration (if your car is fairly new). The Parker PD will do a VIN verification for $5.

It was fairly painless to get a CO drivers license. I did have to show two proofs of residence though.

This is one of the few annoyances about moving to CO. In the end I know it will be worth it but, I dread going down to that office again! At least I have a list now of all the required documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver