Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 AM

40 posts, read 79,652 times

Advertisements

Hello Denverians!

My husband, I and my 2 year old son are considering relocating permanetly to Denver from Boston within the next year. We are both professionals in our mid 30s. We would like to buy a 4 bdr house in a nice, upscale neighborhood. We can afford in 700k-850k range. It is important to me to live within a short distance driving from downtown. We are also looking for a neighborhood with a great elementary/mid school for our son.

I am checking out zillow and looks like littleton has some beautiful houses. However, most of the homes that cought my eyes were over 1 million dollars...!! Well, is it the zillow or simply the housing is expensive in Denver area? Shall I hope to find something nice and new if I visit the city in person? Where do you recommend for us to focus on?

I'd appreciate your input as to what areas to cosider...

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
In your price range, you will have no trouble finding a very nice home in an upscale neighborhood with good schools.. Check in the Cherry Creek, Englewood, Lone Tree, Centennial areas. I'm surprised you are only finding million plus homes in Littleton...

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
Here's a nice one..
7735 S Biscay Street, Centennial, CO 80016 | Listing Information | Metrolist MLS

Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM

103 posts, read 292,022 times
You could also try Bow Mar and Columbine Valley. There are some homes in your price range and both have good schools. Littleton, in general, is not necessarily close to downtown, but it isn't necessarily far either. Depends on what your definition of close is.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM

284 posts, read 516,790 times
We are moving there from CT. Save your money...you do not need that much money to buy a 4br home in an upscale neighborhood.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Default Nice homes

I have to agree that you can find super nice homes much cheaper than your budget. But if you insist on spending that much money the communities mentioned above are good. I would add Greenwood Village to the list. But none of this may be helpful to you. If you can list where you and your husband will be working and how long you want to drive to work or if your willing to take public transportation, along with the type of house (age, lot size, house size, style etc) you want and some of the other things that are important to you when choosing a neighborhood then I think you will get answers that can help you find what you are looking for.

Welcome to Denver!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Thank you every one for your suggestions. Of course, I would love to find a nice modern home for less lol! Happly to hear that I would...!

Mic, thank you for your welcome note. Well, I know that I will have to spend some good time on this project. We will be leasing initially to look around and get to know the city. I will also be willing to work with some reputable reAlators.

To be more specific, I would love to work from my home but then I may have to work right in the downtown. I work as immigration lawyer ( I am aware that there is not such good market in Denver for my kindof job) so it all depends. My husband has a job offer from this place in Englewood area but there are still more to come. He will have to work in hospital as a part of his job. Neither of us woud like to Spend more than half an our driving to our work place. I dont mind public transportation as long as it gets me to my work within 30-40 mins riding.

I am not looking for a big lot! As a matter of fact, I'd prefer a small lot. A 3-4 bdr with a study room and a basement to turn into a guest suite would be ideal.

I dont mind old homes, as long as they have been beautifuly and safely renovated. But I guess a new home would put my mind on ease. It is also nice to live in a home with high ceiling and curved staricase...some kind of traditional art and detail, you know...not into contemporaryy modern type of homes...All that being said, our number one priority is our son. He will have to go to a good scool and grow up in a safe, laid back and nice neighborhood.

Awwwwh, it feels good to get it off my chest lol

Thank you again, cant wait to become one of you! Xox

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default That changes our responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasttasiaaa View Post
We will be leasing initially ...My husband has a job offer from this place in Englewood area
1. How much per month?
2. Give us a work address as the postal area of Englewood is HUGE. ZIP codes in Denver aint the same as ZIP codes in MA. Trust me on this.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. How much per month?
2. Give us a work address as the postal area of Englewood is HUGE. ZIP codes in Denver aint the same as ZIP codes in MA. Trust me on this.
1- lets say 3k-4k monthly.
2- if he accept this offer, then he will be working at 3 different places within a short distance from Englewood Medical Center.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Plenty of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasttasiaaa View Post
1- lets say 3k-4k monthly.
2- if he accept this offer, then he will be working at 3 different places within a short distance from Englewood Medical Center.
2. I presume you mean Swedish on East Hampden Ave when you say: Englewood.
1. You don't need to spend even close to that. $2500 will get you an excellent rental in Denver. But, you are going to have to dig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver