Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

116 posts, read 455,950 times

Advertisements

I'm an Eastern girl married to a Western boy, and together we have two small children. Husband just got a wonderful job opportunity in Broomfield, CO. This opportunity is a one-year deal for sure--but we could potentially be settling there if it works out and we feel that settling in the area is the right thing to do.

We just found out, and I thought this forum would be perfect to ask Coloradoans (--?-- Coloradan or Coloradoan? - The Denver Post) the millions of questions we may have in the near future.

First off, where to live? Since we will be there for one year--and most likely a lot longer--where should we rent for that first year (3 bedrooms, under 2K/month possibly)? Like I said, we have two small children (1 and 3) and love to do lots of things outside. We love a friendly and safe neighborhood--who doesn't.

Would you say that Colorado is fairly priced--as far as real estate goes? Or would you say it's on the rise because everyone seems to be moving there?

What do you like most about the Denver area?

(I'm a psychotherapist and photographer, and my husband is a sports medicine doc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
You will be Coloradans.

Broomfield is as fine a place as any, lots of threads on here about the locale.

Use the Index of Key Threads and our search tool for much info that already exists.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Husband just got a wonderful job opportunity in Broomfield, CO.
First off, where to live?
Would you say that Colorado is fairly priced--as far as real estate goes?
What do you like most about the Denver area?
1. Broomfield. PadMapper.com is your friend.

2. Your view of "reasonable" depends on where you are coming from?
Really cheap compared to NYC.
Really expensive compared with Baton Rouge.
The rental market (especially single-family houses) is very tight (<2% vacancy rate). See Denver-area home vacancy rate at 2.1% | Inside Real Estate News

3. I love:
a. weather (decks and patios instead of screened-in porches, low humidity and no bugs)
b. low taxes (my real estate taxes are 1/4 my parents' in MA)
c. living in the city instead of the burbs (even though I have to wear a bullet-proof vest when I go outside)

Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Default thank you!

All helpful tips!
Thank you.
I will do further research on what has been said already on this site.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
Broomfield is a nice town, but rentals are hard to come by.

Look around Louisville, Lafayette, and Erie, as well as Broomfield.
Also Westminister, and Arvada, and even as far north as Longmont, or Frederick.

North of Broomfield is really nice area.
Should be easy to find a house for between 1300 and 1700/month.
From what we found, the stuff below 1400 was not optimal.
For 2000 you should be able to find something REALLY nice.

Rent for a year, and look around a while.

Denver area is the best all around place I have ever lived.
The only thing I ever have a hard time with is the lack of rain.
I grew up in the Southeast. Rain was a part of life.
Here, it seldom rains.

Still, it's a wonderland.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Louisville probably has fewer rentals than Broomfield. Ditto Erie. I'd look in Broomfield first. It's bigger than Louisville, Lafayette, Erie, Frederick. Westminster probably has more rentals than the other towns. You need to come out and take a look around, see what catches your eye.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,591 times
I think you'll like Broomfield and the surrounding area. If the job is there, best stick to that general vicinity, methinks. Real Estate is kind of in the middle of the table out here (not big city expensive, but definitely not cheap.) That said, you'll probably do alright looking for a place in that area.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Since the job is in Broomfield for a year, we'll look into Broomfield. That's the general feeling I get from people on the thread. I have been looking at rental units, and they seem pretty pricey... I'll keep looking.
As far as coming out to find a place, I think we'll do it from out of state seeing that it's a rental... Husband cannot take any more time off.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Since the job is in Broomfield for a year, we'll look into Broomfield. That's the general feeling I get from people on the thread. I have been looking at rental units, and they seem pretty pricey... I'll keep looking.
As far as coming out to find a place, I think we'll do it from out of state seeing that it's a rental... Husband cannot take any more time off.
Could you take some time off? Could the DH take a Friday or Monday and at least make a long weekend out of it? A year could be a long time if you absolutely hate the place, or it's full of cockroaches, or something like that.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Louisville probably has fewer rentals than Broomfield. Ditto Erie. I'd look in Broomfield first. It's bigger than Louisville, Lafayette, Erie, Frederick. Westminster probably has more rentals than the other towns. You need to come out and take a look around, see what catches your eye.
Given the limited number of rentals on the market, I suggest covering the whole area. And depending on what part of Broomfield the work is in, some of the other towns might actually be more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver