Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM

24 posts, read 53,420 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'll look into some other cities as well. I need to move away from the dampness. Being in the NM, AZ, CO etc area would be better than nothing even if it's not Denver just yet. Who knows, maybe we'll find a place we love even more! We are just not familiar with any of those other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM

156 posts, read 325,846 times
You kind of sound like me when I moved except for a few circumstances:
1. I had a fiance who left me which drove me away from NY
2. I came out here all alone

With those things said this is what I can tell you.. I grew up in the upstate part of NY, a farming area... I hated the boring living but I loved the open county when I wanted to relax. The winters were usually pretty harsh which was another thing I hated (only hated because I was locked up in the house because roads would be closed). And finally, a good portion of my friends had left and it sucked being the only one there with 2 other people I knew.

So I moved to Denver. I dont want to say I regret it but I wish I would had moved to an area closer to home (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, even Charlotte). I wasnt really close with my family but after being away from them for a year I can firmly say that I will move back east just because I want to be closer to family (Plus, when I get a house I want to be close to the water). There are weekends where I wish I could just jump in my car and go see them but obviously I cant do that. Even if I want to fly to visit them I have to plan it at least 3 months in advance or I spend a fortune.

If I was you I would look at cities closer to family because in the long run you will miss them. You obviously already know what else you will miss about the East Coast so I wont go into that.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM

47 posts, read 94,489 times
If humidity is what you're specifically trying to get out of, Colorado would make a lot of sense. Beyond that, it's the west coast, which has pretty mild weather year-round from northern California up and into Washington thanks to the Pacific. They're more humid, to be sure, but the lack of crazy weather extremes means you won't notice it. But then, getting back east is that much more of a hassle. I absolutely would not move to Chicago, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, etc. I would also go ahead and stay away from New Mexico and particularly Arizona. Too hot, not enough culture, etc. But you're definitely not going to find the weather you're looking for in the northeast, midwest, or south. Go west; you'll find something good out here whether it's in Colorado or on the coast.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,233 times
I'll offer my perspective having moved away from family in CO 9 years ago. Now that I am 32 i have come to appreciate the blessing of having family or inlaws close. I am now divorced from someone who vowed never to move to CO for various reasons so am now free to return home, basically fueled by my family being there. It has been an importnt step to move away , soil the wild oats so to speak but gettign older cleanses the looking-glass and helps one understand more clearly what it is that is most important ot them in life, which will be very different for every person. You just have to openly be aware of you deepest rooted values...that can be enviromnet, culture, job opportunity, family, a friend , your spouses preference etc... everywhere will be a balance of these, both pro and con.

I say if you got the wanderlust go for it, Denver is great and I am super happy moving back even though Seattle and Vermont have been wonderful places to stop over in. If you think you might be having kids many people consider having family support colse to be paramount but then again...to each their own...loving caring couples and motivated, strong individuals will make it work anywhere. Just wake up and smile daily. Breath deep and follow you gut, don't over think it and you will have no regrets.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,779 times
Default Denver's sun is significantly hotter than Boston's.

Several posters have said that "Denver's sun is significantly hotter than Boston's." I'm a recent transplant from Boston and I couldn't agree more. 75 in the sun in Dnver feels much hotter than 75 in Boston. Does anyone know why? Closer to the equator? Closer to the sun? I doubt it. Less ozone in the atmosphere allows more UV through but does it let more IR light through as well?

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times
The sun is hotter in Santa Fe too (7,200 feet), but I'll take Santa Fe's heat over Boston's heat any day. 0% humidity here, and I imagine Denver is similar. I've walked around in jeans in 90-degree weather here. Try doing that in Boston or NYC and you'll have a sickening lather of sweat in exactly one block.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philostow View Post
Several posters have said that "Denver's sun is significantly hotter than Boston's." I'm a recent transplant from Boston and I couldn't agree more. 75 in the sun in Dnver feels much hotter than 75 in Boston. Does anyone know why? Closer to the equator? Closer to the sun? I doubt it. Less ozone in the atmosphere allows more UV through but does it let more IR light through as well?

Thanks.
I was there for 6 months and noticed that too. There were days in the spring that were only in the 70's, but the Sun felt like a laser beam! I think it's the elevation and lack of atmosphere to filter the Sun. You also need good sunglasses to avoid being blinded while driving. The Sun seems a lot brighter and more intense in Denver compared to cities that are below 1,000 ft. elevation.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:12 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
I was out in Denver last winter, it hit -12 degrees. So if ur trying to escape Boston winters, Denver while tending to be drier also can be brutally cold.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,779 times
Full-spectrum....visible, IR, and UV are all higher due to less absorption/scattering because there is less "air".

Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
I was out in Denver last winter, it hit -12 degrees. So if ur trying to escape Boston winters, Denver while tending to be drier also can be brutally cold.
Does Denver have this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: