Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,399 times

Advertisements

I've searched and read and read and I know many think Aurora is the last place they would live in CO, but I've been there, and don't really think it's as bad as people make it out to be. But, I haven't been to all parts of Aurora and in the past I wasn't planning on moving my family there. So .... that's why I'm here.

We are moving from LaPlata County (SW CO) to the Denver area (country vs metro). Money is tight. I found a house that works for us -- family of 4, 2 children w/ special needs, 1 in wheelchair. It is in Cherry Creek School District which is a must for us, but it's in the "dreaded" town of Aurora.

I grew up in SF/BayArea and am not afraid of living in Aurora, but at the same time, I don't want to live in a neighborhood that has a lot of property crime. I don't want my house broken into and I want to be able to go for a walk with my kids.

Anyhow, the area I'm interested in is considered central Aurora, I believe. It's between Expo Park and S Peoria (W/E) and E Alameda and E Exposition Avenue. I've Google mapped it and it looks like an older (more established) neighborhood, nice trees, sidewalks, and generally quaint. But it's "Aurora" (said in a big bad scary voice, lol!). Is this area OK?

I don't need cookie cutter suburbs, but I do need safe (within reason). And I need to be zoned for CCSD. Our price limit is $1400 month and we need at least 3 bedrooms, or 1500 sq feet. Bedroom has to be on ground level (wheelchair) and hardwood floors for majority of home (allergies) and (yes, I know I'm picky, picky!) a fenced yard. Oh and extra storage is a plus!

We need to be relatively close to Commerce City for work, but also need to be close to Children's Hospital. Finding that is harder than I thought .... though Aurora seems to fit the bill. Thoughts?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
First, please quit the melodrama. While a lot of people on this forum snub their noses at Aurora, you're the first person I've heard use language like "dreaded" and "scary" even if just in a strawman argument. In my experience, people that talk trash about Aurora are usually one or more of the following 1) snobs, 2) racists, or 3) ignorant.

The area you're looking at is ok, it's not "dreaded" or "scary," but southeast Aurora (80015 and 80016) has better schools, if you can handle a longer commute. The part of Aurora you're looking at, while still part of Cherry Creek Schools, has some of the lowest performing schools within the district, with the exception of the K-8 Challenge School.

No one can guarantee you will be "safe" anywhere. Even Greenwood Village, which is one of the richest enclaves in the metro area, has its fair share of crime. Just find somewhere that you feel comfortable in, that passes your "smell test." Good thing about Denver is it's a very what-you-see-is-what-you-get city. If it looks bad, it probably is. If it looks good, it probably is.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Huh? Note the quotations around "dreaded". That would mean I was quoting someone else, not myself. And the word scary was used by ME to talk about ME, my voice in particular. You obviously have no sense of humor. And if you bothered to read anything else I wrote you would clearly see that I am not your #1, 2, or 3. Obviously nobody can guarantee safety. This is life we are talking about. And if it was as easy as taking a look and passing a "smell test", well then, I probably wouldn't be on here now would I?

Moving on ...

SE Aurora does have better schools, but housing is harder to find there especially meeting my budget and needs in a rental (newer homes tend to be 2 stories or more), and the commute to Children's during rush hour probably isn't very pretty? Central Aurora seems like a good compromise -- the housing is cheaper and though the schools aren't the best in CCSD, the district funding is still there for special education needs and the commute is almost non-existent to Children's Hospital and closer than SE Aurora when traveling to Commerce City. I just wanted to get others input on the specific area as Aurora is a BIG city.

ETA: And I specifically tried to take a lame situation (people who actually do fall under category 1, 2, or 3) and make light of it because I did not want people coming on here telling me how "dangerous" or "horrible" Aurora is. I've read the posts and though I don't live there, I generally disagree. Like any city, especially big cities, there are both "good" and "bad" areas. Thought that was pretty clear with my "melodramatic" approach. Again a sense of humor is needed.

That's all.

Last edited by coloradomum; 04-11-2012 at 12:01 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM

152 posts, read 323,689 times
I just saw a guy on the new saying he is getting the heck out of Aurora because he just got robbed big time with machine guys i think.

Anyways, From what I've seen of Aurora, there are nice parts (by southlands shopping) and not so nice parts like by the station.

But I think you'll just have to make do with what your budget allows. think about what is really important and what you can compromise on.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I used to live in the neighborhood just east of there, Aurora Hills, which does not have the Cherry Creek Schools.

We lived there for about a year and a half, and had no problems with crime, and felt the neighborhood was good overall. The school sucked, but keep in mind, this was an Aurora Public School.

The area you described is good as well (probably better), there are some scuzzy apartments/homes closer to Havana/Mississippi, but you are far enough away from them (and anything else "scary") to suffer any ill effects.

I'd live there without much of a second thought.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I used to live in the neighborhood just east of there, Aurora Hills, which does not have the Cherry Creek Schools.

We lived there for about a year and a half, and had no problems with crime, and felt the neighborhood was good overall. The school sucked, but keep in mind, this was an Aurora Public School.

The area you described is good as well (probably better), there are some scuzzy apartments/homes closer to Havana/Mississippi, but you are far enough away from them (and anything else "scary") to suffer any ill effects.

I'd live there without much of a second thought.
Thanks, this was helpful info.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Aurora is BIG...by which I mean SPREAD OUT. There's a good chunk of Colfax in Aurora that I would probably avoid. There are some nice (and reasonably priced) middle class areas elsewhere in Aurora and even some high end stuff in there.

I don't personally like Aurora for reasons other than safety, but I'm pretty sure if that's your principle concern, you should have no problem finding a safe and positive area of the city in which to live.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM

I ended up driving up there this weekend. The area was fine, good actually. Of course you go a few too many blocks in either direction off the main streets, and not so good. But the little neighborhood pocket was filled with homeowners who cared for their homes. The front yards were manicured and there were kids playing outside. Without knowing that particular block or two, it might be hard for one to decide if it's the right area for them.

Unfortunately for us, the house was a dive. Lipstick on a pig, as they say. I couldn't get past the smell. Old stale cigarettes covered in fresh paint -- yuck.

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thinking CCSD might have to be put on the back burner. Thinking Douglas County might be a better fit for us, just don't want to end up too far south. Centennial is my preference, I think ...

Thanks all for the feedback folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver