Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM

116 posts, read 455,873 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I've lived in many places, and the water is different in all these places. By far the best water is in Montreal and Chicago. You take a shower and have Pantene commercial-like hair. It's soft. It's good water. That's without a water softener thing and with the same hair products.

Water in Burlington (VT), Indianapolis, Salt Lake City (with water softener!) is meh. Really not great. The worst is Cincinnati--such hard water. I use the same products in all these cities and somehow my hair comes out greasy (no amount of rinsing does the trick) and nasty.

So, I'm a little worried about Denver... anyone knows how the water is?

Chicago's water is treated from Lake Michigan and it's divine. Seriously.

Will I need tons of more hair products and water softener by moving to Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Hardly soft

Denver Water's water is snow melt.
Somewhat hard.

Other cities and towns either:
1. Buy water from Denver Water
2. Suck it out of the ground. I have no idea about those waters.

You won't like this map http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html

More info http://www.denverwater.org/WaterQual...WaterHardness/

And, data http://www.denverwater.org/docs/asse...Report2010.pdf

As someone coming here from Quebec, the most amazing fact about water in Colorado is that it runs uphill, towards money.

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-25-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Denver Water's water is snow melt.
Somewhat hard.

Other cities and towns either:
1. Buy water from Denver Water
2. Suck it out of the ground. I have no idea about those waters.

As someone coming here from Quebec, the most amazing fact about water in Colorado is that it runs uphill, towards money.
Oh no, don't tell me that... I was so hoping it would be good, soft water dang it. I'm sooo disappointed.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I've honestly never noticed any difference in water anywhere I've lived.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've honestly never noticed any difference in water anywhere I've lived.
The water in Phoenix is almost undrinkable...seems like more lime than water, and the water in Los Angeles, though the city will tell you otherwise, will probably give you cancer

So I've definitely noticed a difference. I can actually drink out of the tap here Not the *best* water I've ever had, and it is hard water, but it's certainly fine.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Yeah, IMO Denver water is middle of the road. The grossest I've ever encountered was in the city of Seattle -- at least here we don't have to keep the toilet lids closed to keep the vermin out.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
The water in Phoenix is almost undrinkable...seems like more lime than water, and the water in Los Angeles, though the city will tell you otherwise, will probably give you cancer

So I've definitely noticed a difference. I can actually drink out of the tap here Not the *best* water I've ever had, and it is hard water, but it's certainly fine.
I read that Los Angeles is one of the most polluted cities in the country, so it's no surprise.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, IMO Denver water is middle of the road. The grossest I've ever encountered was in the city of Seattle -- at least here we don't have to keep the toilet lids closed to keep the vermin out.
I'm certainly glad to not be living in Seattle--that's just gross.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM

27 posts, read 86,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Hey guys!

I've lived in many places, and the water is different in all these places. By far the best water is in Montreal and Chicago. You take a shower and have Pantene commercial-like hair. It's soft. It's good water. That's without a water softener thing and with the same hair products.

Water in Burlington (VT), Indianapolis, Salt Lake City (with water softener!) is meh. Really not great. The worst is Cincinnati--such hard water. I use the same products in all these cities and somehow my hair comes out greasy (no amount of rinsing does the trick) and nasty.

So, I'm a little worried about Denver... anyone knows how the water is?

Chicago's water is treated from Lake Michigan and it's divine. Seriously.

Will I need tons of more hair products and water softener by moving to Denver?
We moved from Mt. Prospect IL (on city water) to SW Denver (Littleton). We get our water here from the City of Aurora via the Roxborough Water District.

It's a bit harder than the Lake Michigan water, but it's fine. No water softener or tons more hair care products needed. We drink it all day long too via a Pur water filter.

It's fine.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Denver water comes from the mountains and tastes great. You can drink right from the tap with no filters. Take a look at the service map-- this water district includes a number of the surrounding suburbs as well: http://www.denverwater.org/docs/asse...area_20091.pdf

The City of Aurora has its own separate water system, which also originates from mountain water and is equally good as Denver's water.

Some of the other suburbs (for example-- the city of Englewood, parts of Douglas County, parts of eastern Centennial/ unincorporated Arapahoe County) in smaller water districts (such as the East Cherry Creek Valley Water and Sanitation District) use water originating from wells, and it smells and tastes like chlorine, pretty gross. Depending on the time of the year it tastes worse than others.

I've lived in Phoenix... so I have a frame of reference-- I know what bad water is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver