Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot of threads on here and people seem so helpful, so here I am to post about myself! I'm a 27/yo single female relocating to Denver from Green Bay, WI this July - the week of July 16th, to be exact. I am moving alone but with 2 cats. I guess I just need some general advice!

I've been applying for jobs and so far haven't heard anything back, but I do have a lead on a waitressing job and have an interview so I'm thinking I'll get that (I know a person who has an 'in' for me) to at least have something to start with. For my actual career I have a BA in Communication and Digital Media with an English minor. I currently work at a newspaper and am very good with computers. I have been applying for graphic artist positions, social marketing, ect. but don't have a ton of experience so I'm not too hopeful I'll find anything before I actually get there. Can anyone give me any tips for applying for jobs there or have any leads for companies I might try? I've read it's a lot easier to get an interview with a Denver address and phone number, so I really hope once I'm actually there in person it'll be easier. I have been putting notes with my resume that I live in Green Bay but that I'm relocating and what date, hopefully that shows I'm serious about it. I think once I get there if the positions are still open I'll apply again with my new address and phone number.

As for where I'm actually moving in Denver, I am looking at the Capitol Hill area. I'm young, single, and like to do stuff (I'm especially into the music scene, which is part of what's drawing me to Denver) so I want to be close to the action. To be honest I can't afford much but I don't want to live in the ghetto either. I've been seeing small 1 bdrms listed for around $600/mo in that area - does that seem about right or are there a lot of hidden fees and extras? I've never lived in an apartment before so I guess I'm not sure how it works! I just want something cat friendly, I don't need a lot of space, and I'd like to be in an area where I can walk to things and not have to drive all the time. I do have a reliable car but I want to use it the least amount as possible. Since I do have a reliable car to use, would it make more sense to move outside of downtown - might it be cheaper for me? Also, I can't afford a UHAUL so I'm maybe only taking my bed and an armoire. Might finding a furnished apartment be feasible, or are those very expensive?

How long does it take to get an apartment? I have been looking around and my move is about 6 weeks from now. I haven't even gotten any responses from the calls I've made and the emails I've sent, which is disheartening. I do have a friend I can stay with if I need to, which I might since I'm moving mid-month. I have excellent credit and a steady job (until June 26th, anyway) so I'm hoping it won't be too bad getting a place - I'm just scared it might take more than a few weeks and I don't want to put my friend out for too long. Also, to get a place to move into right away would be ideal - I don't cherish the thought of moving, unpacking, and then packing and moving across town in a few weeks, but I will if I have to!

Any other general tips you can offer? This is a huge deal to me, and honestly... I'm scared! I've never done anything like this in my life but have always wanted to. Now is a good time for me since I don't have kids, don't like my job where I am, love music but there's no scene where I live, don't own a house, and am newly single... it's really perfect timing. I also do have a few friends that live there already which is a huge help. But that doesn't make it less scary! I've never been to Denver but the music scene is great (Cannot wait to see a show at Red Rocks! Already have My Morning Jacket planned!), the people I have met from there are so nice, and it seems like a city with a laid back atmosphere but still has stuff to do. I am taking out a personal loan to cover moving costs and the first few months of living/bills, but after that if I don't find a steady good paying job (looking for at least $35,000 a year with benefits) I have no clue what I'll do, and that is freaking me out. Any help, tips, advice is so appreciated! Everyone in Denver seems so nice and I'm really happy I found this website to get more ideas from people who actually live there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Yikes, a personal loan to cover moving costs?

Furnished apartments are extremely expensive. Your best bet might be trying to find a roomate situation where the main living areas of the apt are already furnished, and then you can just buy a bed.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
$600 to live in a 1BR in Capitol Hill? Are you getting these off Craigslist? I'd be going in very dubious and watch for a potential scam. If it were a legitimate place doubt it would be a place you would want to live for long and it certainly wouldn't come furnished. People in share situations usually pay more per bedroom in that area.

Another thing to consider is if you are moving in with no proven resources and no job, might find a lot of apartments turning you down. Those which might consider you will want a pretty solid deposit unless your credit score is very high.

My advice is be very open in terms of area and flexible because I suspect many area you will like won't be in your price range or will have management just not willing to give you a shot based on your particular situation. They really don't need to take on anyone questionable financially right now with rentals so tight. If you get the job and prove you can keep it for a year you'll have your opportunity to move to Capitol Hill or wherever else you discover you want to be. For now you might be more a fit for Aurora or Arvada.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Gosh, OP, you're younger than my oldest daughter! I thought of her as I read this.

I'd stay with the friend for a while, and look for a job. I know someone w/a degree in communications; she worked as a temp here for a while.

You can usually get an apartment pretty fast. My younger daughter found an apt. on her lunch hour on a Weds and moved in that weekend. (This was in Aurora.)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
Maybe a studio in an area you want to live, rather than a one bedroom far from the music scene? If I were your age - well, I'd be very happy, for one - but that's the choice I'd make.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 19,517 times
I think I'd be fine with a studio, I really am not concerned with space and am expecting to live in a tiny place to start out with. I talked more to my friend and I am able to stay with him for a month or until whenever I find a place in my price range, so that takes a load off. Hopefully by that time besides the waitressing job I'll be able to find a more professional job in my field as well or at least temp work to help with my application. I am open to living with roommates, but I'd obviously like to get to know them a bit first. Especially with my 2 cats I want to know that whoever I live with will treat them kindly, not let them get outside (they are indoor only) ect.

Thanks for the input so far! I have to admit my financial situation is not the best right now and my moving to Denver, although costing me money and the cost of living will be a lot more expensive, is in the hopes of finding a better paying job. The job I have right now is paying me a lot less than the national average for my position so I know I am worth more. There are also not a lot of options in my field where I live since Green Bay is pretty small. Since I haven't been making a lot of money since college and have student loan debt to pay off, it's been very hard for me to save much money which is why I am taking out a personal loan to cover my expenses for the first few months. This is a huge leap of faith for me but I hope it turns out well.

Last edited by LumaDay; 06-07-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver