Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 23,638 times

Advertisements

Greetings...we are relocating to Denver from Austin, and filled out an application for a townhouse in Highlands Ranch. The agent is using Xtreme Tenant Screening, and we were rejected because they told the landlord that my fiancee's credit score was "below 600." In fact, they told him that it was 570. We knew that was incorrect, so we pulled a triple agency credit score from TransUnion (the SAME company they claimed to have used) and we got a 734 score. Still not perfect, but good considering the fact that he went through a nasty divorce and his ex-wife had a lot of debt. Everything on his credit has been perfect since the divorce, so a 734 is improving and fine with us. But still WELL ABOVE the 600 cutoff that Xtreme Screening has presented to the landlord.

We are now in a situation where we don't have a place to live because of the information provided to the landlord by Xtreme Tenant Screening. I talked to the screening company, and their only explanation is that our number is WRONG. But I pulled it from TransUnion's site, and it's also consistent with the scores from the two other agencies (747 and 761). They have told me to have TransUnion call them, which TransUnion won't do.

This FEELS discriminatory, and our rejection is based on wrong information. We emailed the agent and landlord to explain the situation to them, even offering my father as a cosigner. But since Xtreme Screening is telling them that my fiancee's score is almost 200 points lower than what we pulled, we are probably out of luck.

Does anyone know an agency besides the attorney general's office that we can take this up with? This is not fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Could you offer to pay for the landlord to pull the score themselves?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applekat View Post
Greetings...we are relocating to Denver from Austin, and filled out an application for a townhouse in Highlands Ranch. The agent is using Xtreme Tenant Screening, and we were rejected because they told the landlord that my fiancee's credit score was "below 600." In fact, they told him that it was 570. We knew that was incorrect, so we pulled a triple agency credit score from TransUnion (the SAME company they claimed to have used) and we got a 734 score. Still not perfect, but good considering the fact that he went through a nasty divorce and his ex-wife had a lot of debt. Everything on his credit has been perfect since the divorce, so a 734 is improving and fine with us. But still WELL ABOVE the 600 cutoff that Xtreme Screening has presented to the landlord.

We are now in a situation where we don't have a place to live because of the information provided to the landlord by Xtreme Tenant Screening. I talked to the screening company, and their only explanation is that our number is WRONG. But I pulled it from TransUnion's site, and it's also consistent with the scores from the two other agencies (747 and 761). They have told me to have TransUnion call them, which TransUnion won't do.

This FEELS discriminatory, and our rejection is based on wrong information. We emailed the agent and landlord to explain the situation to them, even offering my father as a cosigner. But since Xtreme Screening is telling them that my fiancee's score is almost 200 points lower than what we pulled, we are probably out of luck.

Does anyone know an agency besides the attorney general's office that we can take this up with? This is not fair!
How about the courts? If you are sure they are wrong, then get a lawyer and sue them for damages.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Definitely contact the AG's office - they may have received complaints from other would-be tenants about this organization. You could also try the Better Business Bureau. Most reputable credit screening companies will rerun a report if you dispute something so I find it odd they wouldn't just redo it.

Unless you are set on living in this place, you may need to think about renting elsewhere. And ask in advance who the landlords use for background checks!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:32 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
You can't sue someone who requires a specific credit score and their report says you have a bad one. These credit scores are covered xy and z to sunday on that account. . .they aren't liable to anyone.

Your best bet:

Demand to see the report that xtreme used (I believe that is your right) to verify they pulled the right person. Note that your reports show different, and you have a right to this report.

Also push the agent. Unless there is a waiting line for the house. . .he wants to earn his commision. Tell them that the credit report is wrong, here is your proof, and by the way. . since this has raised a concern your double the deposit ask.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You can't sue someone who requires a specific credit score and their report says you have a bad one.
Maybe, but you can certainly sue the reporting agency, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if they report wrong information. Which is what they OP claims Xtreme Tenant Screening did.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Maybe, but you can certainly sue the reporting agency, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if they report wrong information. Which is what they OP claims Xtreme Tenant Screening did.
Good luck with that. . .I don't think a lawsuit will do anything for anyone. . .

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,801 times
Yes, some of these Corporate Entities only look at one Credit score, which is indicative of their following contractual agreements and two-dimensional thinking and is unlikely to be overcome. Read below for the reasons based upon my own experience.
First problem may be, is that you.. " filled out an application for a townhouse in Highlands Ranch". Highlands Ranch as its own entity has a reputation for near Gestapo-like enforcement of rules, such as in its HOA, to maintain uniformity. Don't feel bad, its not you. Highlands Ranch does not want to become another Aurora, and I believe that this trickles down with expectations of Corporate Rental Agencies within Highlands Reich, I mean Ranch. While I find it unlikely to succeed, I think that acquiring all three credit reports, and perhaps showing the discrepancies between all three with a carefully written letter to the management company would be the best way to approach. Show them you have nothing to hide, but don't go about it by way of complaint. Don't be offended, as you are likely working with Corporate-style two dimensional thinkers... just be firm but be nice. I doubt you will get around a leasing agent who is controlled by the numbers he/she is supposed to produce as they want to rent by what looks best on paper, and not reality. If you really want to live in Highlands Ranch, I would suggest driving around or searching craigslist to find a home that is being rented by its owner who may have flexibility and will think outside the Highlands Ranch-box. Otherwise I would suggest looking to live elsewhere (and perhaps a place that has some character).

Last edited by MEllis72; 06-18-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM

We actually provided them with the credit report. The agent was nice and didn't charge us, but I know Xtreme charged her $35 for the report.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks, all! The good news is that we found another even better place in Highlands Reich...I mean Ranch (that's really funny...). I did file a complaint with the Attorney General's office, and also with the BBB, although they are not BBB accredited (but they do have an A+ score...right?).

You guys were all thinking in the same way! We did find out who the next landlord was using, and were going to refuse to use Xtreme Tenant Screening if they asked us to. I was more upset with her unwillingness to even check into the issue. She told me to "have TransUnion call her," but SHE is a customer of TransUnion and probably has a dedicated customer service number, unlike the general consumer who has to jump through hoops to talk with them. My resolution request with the BBB was that they practice full disclosure with landlords, agents, and prospective tenants by explaining exactly what score they're using, and that they apologize to the landlord to whom they gave the incorrect information in our case.

The owner of the company and the agent kept saying that it showed a "credit score and analysis" which meant that the NUMBER shown was an analysis of credit-worthiness. They had it all wrong. According to TransUnion, that WAS the actual score. We offered up the three-agency report to the landlord, and even offered my dad as a co-signer (which I shouldn't have to do at 46 years of age!!), but the damage had been done by Xtreme. The owner had a very bad attitude. I would encourage all agents to stay away from them, because in my opinion the information they shared with the landlord was libelous, and could potentially put the landlord and agent at risk.

Anyway, we're selling our house in Austin now, have a great new place to live (even better than the other one!) and are looking forward to a new life in Denver. Woohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver