Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,767 times

Advertisements

Does anyone actually LIKE their apartment complex? I'm moving from Atlanta and most of the reviews are horrible...even in many of the expensive Cherry Creek, DTC, downtown complexes.

I'm looking at no more than ~$1250 for a two bedroom. Flexible on location as long as it is a safe/well regarded area.

Must haves:
-2 bedroom (or 1 bedroom + den with a door)
-Cat friendly (I rescued a cat so he is tagging along) (smile)
-Washer dryer in unit (just hook up or full size machines)
-Parking (covered, garage or even a reserved spot...most reviews say parking is a nightmare after 5)

Nice to haves:
-Balcony/Patio
-View (can be city, mountains...just not interested in a trash bin or the back of someone's building)

I've searched this forum, padmapper.com, walkscore.com rents.com, apartments.com, craiglist, apartment finder, youtube videos...read online reviews (scary!), worked with one apartment finder service. I live outside of Atlanta now in a nice live/work/play environment and I know I may have a long commute depending on my job location:TBD.

Most reviews say "there are better places for the money" but they NEVER name those places. (grin) So many reviews scare me off with the vermin infestations, crimes, questionable neighborhoods etc. I try to take the reviews with a grain of salt but I don't want to ignore valid feedback either.

I don't need to be in the heart of the action (downtown) and I'm open to living a little further out...Arvada, Lakewood/Belmar, Stapleton, etc. I just want a nice quality apartment with no major issues and I can get to the city in a reasonable time (20 minutes etc.) I did visit a few weeks ago but I guess I didn't research/view enough properties. I saw ~12 but still didn't find anything.

Am I asking too much? (wink)

Any help would be so appreciated! I thank those in advance for reading my request and commenting. (Please take pity on a nice girl trying to find an apartment from a distance and share any info you may have!).

Thanks! (And I a looking forward to living in Denver...I loved my visit and the people I met!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaoTiara View Post
Does anyone actually LIKE their apartment complex? I'm moving from Atlanta and most of the reviews are horrible...even in many of the expensive Cherry Creek, DTC, downtown complexes.
Of course many do, but:

1. People generally don't have as much incentive to leave a positive review, as they do a negative one.

2. If people have an apartment they really like, most like to keep it their own little secrete. Because if the complex becomes really popular, rents tend to go up.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
I would be wary of the reviews, and take them with a grain of salt. As someone who got scammed by a landlord once (good luck taking a business to small claims). . .

I would look for common threads between reviews, and pay attention to complaints about lost security deposits and why.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
Some of the review are legit though. My apartment complex has really gone down hill in the past 6 months, and went from like an 80% rating and 4 stars to 46% and 2 stars on apartmentratings. My place also used to offer incentives for positive reviews, so they can certainly be bogus on both ends of the spectrum.

I guess I'm saying what others have said, pay attention to them and see if there are common complaints. I'm done with apartments myself and decided to buy, mostly because of the rent increases becoming insane

Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Apartment living just plain isn't that great, even expensive "luxury apartments." For example, pretty much all apartments that I'm aware of have poor construction quality with paper thin and energy-inefficient walls, windows, and floors. Unless if you live on the top floor, you WILL hear creaking and noises from above. No guarantee that your unit won't be the one right next to the dumpster.

Sometimes reviewers complain about things like they didn't get their deposit back, the staff is rude, their rent went up, parking is tight, etc. If those are the worst of the complaints, you know you've found a pretty good place.

Generally, the more you pay, the better place you'll get, though you could get lucky and find a cheaper place that's still decent and you could get screwed and overpay for a bad unit too. Unfortunately there is a severe shortage of apartments in Denver right now and it seems like so many people HAVE to live in one...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
I really like my apartments here! Not like owning a house, but I have no complaints.

It's not the best area of town but, its quiet, secure, really cheap and no bugs...the only thing is maintenance is a bit slow for MY tastes, but it's no slower than other places. I got to know the maintenance supervisor so now he takes care of me promptly.

I pay $479/mo for a 550sqft one bedroom with W/D and have cats....it takes about 15 minutes to get to the middle of the strip.

Two bed/2 bath apts here are around $650/mo.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I really like my apartments here! Not like owning a house, but I have no complaints.

It's not the best area of town but, its quiet, secure, really cheap and no bugs...the only thing is maintenance is a bit slow for MY tastes, but it's no slower than other places. I got to know the maintenance supervisor so now he takes care of me promptly.

I pay $479/mo for a 550sqft one bedroom with W/D and have cats....it takes about 15 minutes to get to the middle of the strip.

Two bed/2 bath apts here are around $650/mo.
Yeah, but thats probably has something to do with the 14% unemployment in Las Vegas. I'm surprised they can rent apartments in Vegas at any price. Hopefully Denver will not get to that point.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
^^^^^ Your point being?
The OP's OQ was; "Does anyone actually LIKE their apt? Online reviews are horrible."

So I gave a positive!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,767 times
Thanks all!

@KaaBoom - I can see that. If their secret gets out there will be more demand and rates will increase.

@Chris from Chicago - Thanks...I have been looking at common complaints and the loss of deposit seems to be one of the biggest issues. I think I'll just assume I won't get it back even if I leave my apt spotless. They will find something wrong I'm sure.

@Snikt - I will look for the common complaints. I would buy (I enjoyed home ownership in the past) but I'll be new to Denver and need to research the area a little more for a long term house commitment.

@vegaspilgrim - You are right. I ignore minor complaints and pay more attention to major issues. There does seem to be an apartment shortage...especially next month when I need to move in...and I am seeing the higher prices.

@Cyborgt800 - I wish I could find such a nice apt with low rent in Denver. I'd jump on it.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and open my pocketbook wider. Maybe I'd better start eating ramen noodles to save money for rent! teehee

Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaoTiara View Post
I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and open my pocketbook wider. Maybe I'd better start eating ramen noodles to save money for rent! teehee
You could eat ramen noodles... or an alternative way to save money might be to rent a room in a house-- you can probably live in a nicer place for less $$$ that way compared to renting your own apartment. Also with the advantage that these arrangements are usually month to month, no lease required. I did this for 6 months when I moved to a new city and would highly recommend it. Obviously, you should be very choosey about who you live with. But there are tons of good people out there looking to supplement their income by having roommates. Craigslist.org. It's not just a website, it's a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver