Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 28,609 times

Advertisements

This may b a crazy question, but have u - or anyone u know - ever functioned n Denver w/o a car? I'm relocating from Atl and while I was definitely planning 2 drive, I'm having 2nd thoughts. Afterall, it's not like I'm bringing furnishings or anything. Just myself, clothes, laptop and guitar...and some money, of course. No job yet, but I'll get to that. By the time I do all the work that my SUV needs (+/- $600 worth of repairs/mtc), spend $200-300 on gas, $175 or so for 1-way tkt to fly my co-driver back home, $$ 4 at least 1 overnight hotel stay between here and there, food and any incidentals that r bound to come up, I figure I might come out better buying myself a 1-way ticket and getting a car after I get there. Especially since I was thinking of selling mine anyway.

The question is...even if I move intown, how long would I be able to function in and/or tolerate a carless life in Denver?

Sorry to be so long-winded, but thanks for any candid feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
I like the way you think, very logical and rational.

There is a light rail system that serves several areas in Denver. See the maps at: http://www.rtd-denver.com/

From the map, you'll see specific locales served, then you can read about those areas here, as much has already been posted.

Suggest you use the Forum Search tool, with key words "rail" or "RTD" or "train" or the names of certain areas of Denver, and it will take you to existing discussions of areas served by the rail lines. After that, if you still have any questions about an area, ask away.

There's also a good deal of bus transport in Denver.

Not sure it shows up on the RTD site, but there is free bus service along the 16th St Pedestrian Mall, which runs for a mile or so, from Union Station to the area of Civic Center Park at Broadway. This may prove useful.

With some planning, you can get around pretty well w/out a car. They are a horrific expense.

s/Mike

Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
I don't think you would have a problem. You can even get the bus to union station for the ski train in winter.

If I didn't have to take clients out to select properties, I would be happier than a clam to use light rail to work.

It does help that I was born in DC and used metro & greyhound buses without issue, up until my last year in college...when dad bought me a 1978 corolla. he never bought my sister a car after I took the corolla to cali after graduation.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,043 times
Ugh... sorry to disagree... but unless you want to live downtown and work there - Denver is NOT a good city for mass transit.

Yes, we have the lightrail thing going on - and RTD - but there's a reason that the running joke has always been that RTD stands for "Reason To Drive"...

If you are used to a real mass transit system, then you would quickly get sick of the gaping holes in what passes for that in Denver.

My husband lived w/o a car before we were married and did okay - but was living on Capitol Hill and working downtown.
If you want to go anywhere other than downtown or the Denver Tech Center - you'd better plan on having a car.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 AM

Ugh sorry to disagree with you gyp, if you live and work downtown, there is no need for mass transit. either walk to work or take a bike. lots of folks I know live work in Denver: Downtown, Stapleton, Lowry, near Colo & 12th with no car.

I think the transit system is fine, if you have the time.

The Southeast line opens in 7 weeks and expects 30,000 riders!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
If you live in-town,work and mostly hang-out in-town,m and have the time to deal with RTD, Denver's public transportation, and/or light rail, you are okay. Walking usually is not that bad, even in the dead of winter.

If you want to go to the mountains, you are not okay.
If you want to go to Boulder, it's RTD. If you need to get to the airport, RTD.
If you want to go to other shopping malls, or Red Rocks for a concert, or many other things, you are going to have to get creative.

I admire anyone who tries to live without a car.
It's just not all that easy in Denver, but hopefully it will come with time.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,759 times
I think how easy getting around without a car depends on where you live and work. Since you are planning on getting a job once you get to Denver it would be extremely difficult for you to run around town on interviews without really knowing the bus system yet.

RTD is going to be better then Atl's Marta system but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of service that cities like New York, Chicago, DC, etc have. I would say if you live near light rail or a good bus line and find a job also near light rail or a good bus line you shouldn't have a problem. Renting a car to go to the mountains, or even the occasional cab ride to red rocks would still be cheaper then owning a car so that shouldn't be an issue. RTD is not the best system and there are some holes but they are minor and mostly in the suburbs. Also the rail system isn't very well developed yet but it is in the process of expanding to a decent regional system. Just depends on how willing you are to put up with the inconviences of not having a car.

Personally I wouldn't suggest it when you first move since you won't have a job and will need to get set up. Of course renting a car for a week or so when you first move might still be cheaper then bring yours.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 28,609 times
Thanks guys, for the candid feedback. All of the responses are very helpful and it's great to hear both sides of it. I'm still undecided. I've gotten used to public transportation here on MARTA, but I work downtown and don't live terribly far either. And it's about the same here - even though the rail lines are further reaching than they were 15 years ago, they too have big gaping holes in the service. If I need to run errands or do anything "off the beaten path" before or after work, I know I darn well better drive.

Oh well, we'll see. So which one of you can pick me up at the airport next Thursday?!?! ROTFL!!!! Just a joke, people. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:44 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
I lived in Denver Metro from 1995-mid 1998 and I can tell you from my own experience, you need a car.

If you need to trade in your current vehicle for something cheap, easy on gas and such, do it. I bought a Honda up there that I am using to this day. She needs a new radiator but a 13 year old Honda beats most other vehicles on the road. They aren't cheap but worth the cost.

The transit system (even with the new light rail) is not a good resource. It sucks to rely upon that in Denver but a car is invaluable (sp optional) in the metro area. I could not have had my work without a car up there. Same with C. Springs. The transit system is worse down here than in Denver. But I recall taking the bus to get an ID card (after a revocation of my driver's license...long story) and it still took me three hours to just get to the driver's license place. Denver is not much better.

Trade in the current car for a car you can trust that is easy on gas. A Honda Civic will be just fine. Small tank, high mileage, insurance rates are good and they have the ability to make it through with regards to front wheel drive during the snow storms. Denver Metro is too stretched out for decent public transport unless you live and work (as said) in the same area.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:02 AM

I am picking up a relocation couple tomorrow at 5, and returning them Saturday after 3 wonderful days looking a properties in Parker, Centennial & Highlands Ranch. (Cherry Creek & Douglas County Schools)

See if you can't come in on Saturday instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver