Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times

Advertisements

Do it now, right now. Getting a job offer from out of state is extremely difficult. Absolutely no way to predict what the economy will be like a year from now-- it could be better, it could be worse. If the KC real estate market is anything like the DEN market with falling inventory, now is a good time to sell a house. Great timing too regarding your oldest child... plenty of time to settle in before school starts in August. You might not even have an opportunity a year from now to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
I would ask myself these questions:

What is the real estate market like there? What is the average time houses are sellling?

Can you afford a rental and the mortgage back home and for how long until it effects your lifestyle?

Would a mortgage company even sell you a house here if the one back home is not sold?

Does your wife also have employment here? If not how long can you last on just your salary?

Have you and you wife been out here and seen what it is like compared to back there?

If you have not you may not like it here, it is not for everyone. Wanting change is one thing but rushing to move maybe sight unseen and with other obligations I would be hesitant also.
None of us can answer for you but those questions are ones I would be asking myself given such a short time to move. It does not even give you a chance to visit and see what areas might be of interest to you.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJ20 View Post
Hello. I had posted a few days ago regarding a possible relocation from Kansas City to Denver. I have been offered a job in the Tech Center which was totally unexpected. We started about a month ago considering the idea of relocation there but had no idea an opportunity would happen this fast. Background on my situation, I have a wife and 2 small children (7 and 4) to consider as well. I am a structural engineer so obviously the job market for that occupation must be considered as well. Right now I don't think it's all that great, so limited opportunities I'd say but who knows what the future holds.

I guess I just have a general question for other people that have transplanted out there or anyone else with an opinion on the matter. We are a bit reluctant to move now due to the suddeness of the situation but should we go anyway due to the fact an offer has been extended? The offer is solid, not spectacular, but good enough. The question I guess is would it be better to wait a year to save some cash, get our house ready to sell and all that and try and secure another offer next spring? Or is it crazy to turn down a good offer now just to wait 10 months to try and find another one?

I'm going crazy with this decision and not sure this forum is the best place to seek advice, but I thought I'd give it a shot in case. Thanks!
I know you were offered a job in the Tech Center, but is the company relocating you or is this move on your family? What about schools for the 7-year-old? The advantage you have is that your family is still young. The disadvantage, at least right now, appears to be the lack of time to plan the move and sell your house. You and your wife will know what's best for your family. We moved West 14 years ago (to Arizona) in a similar situation after being offered a job. We didn't make much off the house, but eventually sold it. I took the opportunity as our kids were around the same ages as yours. We were fortunate that it worked out for us. Good luck!

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 06-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
From your posts you are a planner and not an adventurer. You will have to weigh the pluses and minuses with your wife. Make a decision together and don't look back.

23 years ago, I got a knock on the door from a moving company planner. He said to me I am here to estimate your move. I said what apartment are you looking for? He said 3. I said 3? Not 13, or 23 or 33 or 43, or 53? He said no, 3. I was the property manager, so I had people knocking on my door all the time to find the correct apartment dwellers.

I told him to hang on. I called my new husband, and he confirmed that the offer to relocate meant we were moving this week, and that he planned on telling me at dinner. That was Tuesday. We left Sunnyvale on Saturday and arrived in Denver on Sunday. We stayed in a hotel with our two cats. He started Monday. I found a 2 bedroom condo for $26,000, we took cash advances out on our credit cards, closed and moved in. Then, I got my real estate license. It took 4 months to pay off our credit cards and then we bought our first house for $132,000.

It was very sudden, and I am still here.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Pointless to plan stuff based on a year into the future. Make your decision on what you have in front of you right now.
I agree. If you have a job offer, that is way more than half the battle. You don't know what will happen in a year. Your kids will be a year older. The younger they are when you move them, the better, IMO.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM

88 posts, read 168,898 times
DrewJ20 - It is always posible to sell your home quickly. The last 4 homes I have been involved with sold in 7 days or less. One of them sold in 1 day. Of course that is in Denver area which our market is very strong right now.

If you price it right and work with the right agent your home could sell fast. Get with a Realtor and ask him how the market is in your area. I can refer somebody if you need it.

Like everybody said you have a job offer, take it!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
I'm with others who believe that Denver is a special situation. Of all the cities in the country, Denver and perhaps a handful of others have a cachet - perceived or true, it really doesn't matter - such that people who tend to come to Denver...stay in Denver.

In similar situations with my friends and with myself, I've always asked them two questions: 1) Is it a good job? It doesn't have to be spectacular, but would you be happy? 2) Is Denver really where you want to be?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then don't hesitate. Get here. If the job sours in months or years, at least you'll be in the city you want to be in.

OTOH, if you don't take this offer, the next offer IN DENVER could be years away.

This will all make sense if Denver and Colorado call to you like they do for so many of us. If Denver's just another city on your Top 50 list of livable cities, then this is all moot - take the job or don't take it, no big whoop.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM

37 posts, read 76,542 times
Thanks so much to all for the replies. I really do appreciate it.

Vegas...I hear what you are saying. I too believe an out of state offer is tough to come by, hence my hesitance in passing this one up.

gmm_24.....great questions. I definitely need to look into the housing market here as I have no idea what it's like at the moment. My wife works from home so that part of the equation is good to go.

goolsbyjazz........fyi, the offer is from a company that contacted me and brought me out for an interview. They have offered to help with relocation as well.

2bindenver...that's a crazy story! Yeah we have a little more time than that, haha....very cool though that everything worked out for you.

DenverBrian....I believe the answers to your questions are both yes. The uncertainty about when that next offer might come is what concerns me as well. I am not going to take an offer just to be there but in this case, the offer is good. And yes....Denver is by far at the top of the list...I think it's a list of one actually....I have thought for years it would be a fantastic place to raise our kids.

Again, thanks to all for the input! They want an answer this week so I guess it's put up or shut up time!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM

68 posts, read 123,907 times
I would go for it. I have no home to sell or kids to worry with and would love to have a job offer there. Just got back Friday from there and eager to find a job there and get moved! Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJ20 View Post
DenverBrian....I believe the answers to your questions are both yes. The uncertainty about when that next offer might come is what concerns me as well. I am not going to take an offer just to be there but in this case, the offer is good. And yes....Denver is by far at the top of the list...I think it's a list of one actually....I have thought for years it would be a fantastic place to raise our kids.
It is, and you...will...love it!

If you come by car, I can imagine the thrill your kids will get when they see the Front Range for the first time...I can imagine it because it's the thrill I got at age 10 on our big family vacation to Colorado. If it's possible to fall in love with a place, I sure did then. It's never faded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: