Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 14,073 times

Advertisements

I was recently let go from a legal secretary position which I held for 10 years. I still do not understand why I was terminated. I had made some mistakes, but nothing detrimental. I was working with 5-8 attorneys at a time. I was also helping with IT work on computers. I helped train new staff members. I covered for other employees when they were absent. I worked evenings and weekends when asked. It is true that I made mistakes. It is not true that these were excessive in number, and they were most certainly not intentional. The mistakes I made were at times careless, but that came from being overloaded.

I was told that the reason I was being let go is because one day one of my mistakes could detrimental to the company. In the 10 years I was with this firm, I have never had a mistake that has been detrimental to the company. Any mistakes were easily fixed, and were the kind of mistakes that others have made themselves.

So my question is ………..I have a VERY important interview today for a position that I have always dreamed about. How do I explain that I was terminated? Thank you for whatever help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Maybe say something like you were over worked and weren't given adequate time to complete tasks/projects?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Thank you for your response. That answer has a catch 22. I don't want to make it appear that I cannot handle a busy workload. The interview today will require a busy workload, but it is something more reasonable.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
True, but your being there 10 years is also in your favor. Was there a change of management or anything?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM

I know that 10 years looks good on my side, but explaining the "real" situation is hard. No change in management, but I did have a supervisor that Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde. If you stayed on his good side, you were okay, but if you made a mistake and got on his bad side, you were done. Part of what happened to me.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Hope you get the new job, sounds like you deserve it. Just tell them the truth and stay calm and composed while you do so -- confidence is sexy (or so they say on TV).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Thank you Mike. I will do my best. :-)

Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM

68 posts, read 123,868 times
Yep, just like Mike said, tell the truth but of course don't talk negative about your previous employer. I would not divulge anything that might be taken negatively or more than they ask for. I really hope you get the job also! I think if you have the skills and they like you, then you have a great shot. Usually their mind is made up within a couple minutes of you walking in the door.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Did you sign a policy and procedural manual? Were your errors documented?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Thank you everybody for your input. The policy and procedural manual was very generic. Management at this company was, at times, unfair depending on if they liked you or not. If my errors were ever documented, they were never shared with me. I NEVER signed anything. I know not to be negative and this is not my personality anyway. :-) I was thinking along these lines because I was needing a challenge and 10 years at my position was not challenging anymore. But I was stuck in my comfort zone. What do you all think?

"I wanted my career to move in a different direction, and I guess my mental separation set up the conditions that led to my departure. But by contrast, the opportunity we're discussing seems to be made for me and I hope to eventually grow into a position of responsibility."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver