Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,217,820 times

Advertisements

I need to renew my car registration and I have recently moved from another county in Colorado. I see the website says I have to go to the DMV in person, but what all do I need to bring? I don't want to wait in line only to find out I don't have the correct information, and I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere since all of the information is for people that are coming from out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM

17,756 posts, read 30,055,836 times
1. The current registration from the old county.
2. Proof of insurance with your NEW address.
3. Driver's license (just in case).
4. Some other proof of new address (e.g., utility bill) (just in case).
5. Cash, check or credit card (at least Denver takes credit cards).
6. Patience.

And, of course, make sure you go to the correct "license plate" office.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM

8,622 posts, read 15,015,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. The current registration from the old county.
2. Proof of insurance with your NEW address.
3. Driver's license (just in case).
4. Some other proof of new address (e.g., utility bill) (just in case).
5. Cash, check or credit card (at least Denver takes credit cards).
6. Patience.

And, of course, make sure you go to the correct "license plate" office.
Arapahoe County accepts credit cards but they add a 2.7% "processing fee" on top of the cost of registration. You're better off with cash or check.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM

7,551 posts, read 13,765,893 times
He also needs proof of valid emissions inspection.
This from

Air Care Colorado :: Consumer Information

Q. How often are motorists required to have their vehicles tested?
A. Once every two years for 1982 and newer model year vehicles. Every year for 1981 and older models. There is a four-year exemption for new vehicles.

All 1982 model year and newer vehicles are inspected every other year. Typically, vehicles of an even-numbered model year will be inspected in the even-numbered year, while odd-numbered model year vehicles are inspected in odd-numbered years. For example, a model year 1999 vehicle will need to be inspected prior to its registration renewal in 2011.

1981 and older model year vehicles are inspected every year.

Remember: If your registration renewal postcard says “Emissions Test Required”, you’ll need a test.

If OP did not file a change of address, (with the DMV, not the PO) at time of move, he probably did not get his reminder postcard as, AFAIK, they are not to be forwarded by P.O.

Last edited by reed303; 08-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: