Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM

230 posts, read 408,949 times

Advertisements

In WI our winters are very dark too. It's darking going to /coming from work. In between, the sun doesn't shine all that often. December is the worst.

Can't be much worse in Denver I'm thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM

29 posts, read 80,703 times
Denver's winters won't be as dark as WI, but the summers don't stay light as late as they do at more northern latitudes. Of course that also has to do with where a city is situated within a timezone. With WI being on the eastern boarder of a timezone, there may not be much of a change.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
In WI our winters are very dark too. It's darking going to /coming from work. In between, the sun doesn't shine all that often. December is the worst.

Can't be much worse in Denver I'm thinking.
I lived in SE Wisconsin for 4 years before moving back to Denver. You will see much more sunlight in Denver as we do not get anywhere near the cloud cover that Wisconsin gets, and you will experience much warmer temperatures in Denver. Denver may have some snowstorms at odd times (October and April are not that uncommon) but it is almost always warm and sunny the next day.

The only thing I miss from Wisconsin is the people there just seemed to be nicer and more neighborly

Last edited by robertgoodman; 09-19-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Real estate prices are consistent with other major cities. You can buy a house anywhere from $150k to $1.5 million. I wouldn't worry about it. We do have a state income tax, but relatively low property and sales tax.

I have been to Indy and while the city is nice, there is nothing to do outside of it. Here in Denver you have hundreds of vacation options within a four hour drive.

Denver has the largest concentration of Federal Government outside of Washington. If she wants a career with the Government then this is the place.

As for the cold, I do not mind it as much as the DARKNESS. Due to our latitude and elevation, the sun rises at 8 and sets at 5 in the winter. So 8 to 5 workers do not see the sun all winter. Its no Seattle, but It is quite a contrast to Florida and can be depressing at times.
4 hours from indy u r in chicago, cincy, stl, louisville, columbus, nashville, encroaching on cleveland and knoxville and milwaukee and all points between.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
4 hours from indy u r in chicago, cincy, stl, louisville, columbus, nashville, encroaching on cleveland and knoxville and milwaukee and all points between.
So...basically Chicago?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oXar View Post
Davebarnes, we're not sure the exact location yet, but judging from what we've learned from the other locations we'd safely assume it's in the Downtown district (again, not being familiar with Denver I can't assume more than that). We would definitely rent first, but would ultimately but something (preferably in a suburb) in the 200K-250K would be reasonable. My kids are 5 & 8, and schools / safety is THE most important attribute for housing.
If you're looking for something in the 200-250K range, suburban, decent schools, and safe, I'd consider the West Burbs. The house may be dated, but should be livable. There's a fair amount available in that range in good parts of Littleton, Arvada, and Lakewood. The commute won't be amazing, but it'll be tolerable if she's working downtown. Finding someplace reasonably priced to RENT might actually be harder, as those prices have shot thru the roof over the last year or two.

Good luck to her on getting the job, but I'd be PISSED at the paying airfare part.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
So...basically Chicago?
I'm sure all of those other locales within that 4 hour window feel they have something to offer the average visitor. Point being, Denver is great but one thing it is lacking is proximity.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I'm sure all of those other locales within that 4 hour window feel they have something to offer the average visitor. Point being, Denver is great but one thing it is lacking is proximity.
That has always been my one issue with Denver, isolation. Although it is a great, self contained city with many amenities and countless outdoor options, I sometimes felt so far away from the rest of the country.

On balance though, it remains a relatively small price to pay for the upside.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM

230 posts, read 408,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post

On balance though, it remains a relatively small price to pay for the upside.
But... major airport with many direct flights!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM

97 posts, read 246,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
If the "cold" has you "concerned" remember that 3/4 of the US of A has "cold" winters. I lived in San Diego one time. "Cold" was anything below 70 (as in it's 60 and someone says "it's so coooooold"). Hot was anything over 80. Just bring a warm coat. You do own a warm coat don't you? I have 6. And four wool hats. And two pair of Sorrels. And many many pairs of gloves. And studded snow tires. Has this gotten you more "concerned", all that warm clothing needed? Think about it.
I've lived in Colorado for over a decade and I have 2 coats, one lightweight and one heavier coat. I don't own a single hat, and I have one pair of gloves. I have NEVER needed studded snow tires. IMHO, you are exaggerating the winter outerwear needs for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver