Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 AM

352 posts, read 713,452 times

Advertisements

And remember, it's pronounced "Co-lo-ra-do", not "Co-lo-rah-do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedNorth2 View Post
Hello!

So, I am currently living in north Texas. I have a great job/resume for my age (23) I work at a large university doing IT related work. I have put in my notice to leave at the end of the semester and will be heading to Denver with enough money to live off of for about 2-3 months. As soon as i get there i will be applying to any and every job i can. I am determined to make this work. It is just something i really need to do for myself right now. I have already started applying to countless IT jobs in the area hoping someone will see my resume but i am just assuming that i will not have work lined up by then.

I am ok with flipping burgers for as long as it takes until i can find real work...i am just so nervous BUT excited about this...i have committed myself at this point...i guess i am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and made it work.

Thanks again!

It wasn't to Colorado and the economy was better.. but years ago, I moved without a job and landed on my feet. As long as you're willing to take whatever job comes your way, and are determined.. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Keep us posted... your experience may help others.
Best of luck!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 10,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedNorth2 View Post
Hello!

So, I am currently living in north Texas. I have a great job/resume for my age (23) I work at a large university doing IT related work. I have put in my notice to leave at the end of the semester and will be heading to Denver with enough money to live off of for about 2-3 months. As soon as i get there i will be applying to any and every job i can. I am determined to make this work. It is just something i really need to do for myself right now. I have already started applying to countless IT jobs in the area hoping someone will see my resume but i am just assuming that i will not have work lined up by then.

I am ok with flipping burgers for as long as it takes until i can find real work...i am just so nervous BUT excited about this...i have committed myself at this point...i guess i am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and made it work.

Thanks again!
If you are flexible and are not stuck in one specific kind of job, Denver has many opportunities. After giving up on the California job market, I sold my car and took my $2000 and decided to fulfill a lifelong dream to move to Denver.

Within 2 weeks of moving here, I had found a job. Granted it is at a call center and I don't love it (Im actually a debt collector). But it pays my bills.

Within a month, I had a second, part time job. Within a month and a half of moving here, I had 3 jobs.

I would recommend you blitz your resume to call centers. They usually pay around 10-20/hour but it allows you a chance to get on your feet, get situated, and move on. The nice thing about these places is that they are revolving doors so they are constantly hiring new folks. Sprint, Dish, Comcast, Santander, EOS CCA, Janus, ADT, and US bank are just a few of the call centers here but there TONS.

Don't worry- you will find something. Denver is a beautiful place and I have never been so happy as I have been since being here. If you have the determination to make this happen for yourself, you will make it happen. I was terrified to do it but looking back- I wish I had done it sooner. I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I've been here for almost 2 years and never heard of this Texas thing! Almost everyone I meet here isn't from CO originally anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I only hear about the Texas hate from Natives. I don't mind Texans or Texas I just don't want to live there but I really am not fond of the accent from Texas at all!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 AM

207 posts, read 481,121 times
Finding a roomate situation in a share house will be easier than landing an apartment. Landlords don't like to hear that you don't have a job yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: