Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM

57 posts, read 100,703 times

Advertisements

My husband's work is expanding to the Denver area and there have been several hints that they are looking at him for one of the positions (which would be a big promotion for him), which would mean moving around Jun or July of next year. Part of me is excited because after reading these boards it seems like people have only great things to say about Denver. The other part of me is nervous though because we really love Tucson. We moved here about 5 years ago from the Midwest and we truly don't understand the people that say there's nothing to do here. We've gotten really into hiking (we just did the Grand Canyon rim to rim last May) and we love that all of the outdoor festivals and activities take place in the winter because it's so beautiful. We don't mind the summers, but I do miss fall.

Finally, here are my questions:
1. If we love Tucson, is Denver going to be a huge adjustment?
2. My husband's work has 3 offices: Lakewood, Castle Rock and near Downtown. Without knowing which one he would mainly be at, any suggestions for which one we should hope for? Are there any areas that might be good in case he'll be going to all 3 offices? We do have a 2 year old, so schools are something to consider.
3. I've noticed that everybody on here raves about the Cherry Creek schools. We're really hoping to find a place for less than $400,000 and Cherry Creek does not seem to be the neighborhood for that. Any other suggestions within our range? We have a beautiful mountain view now and I'm hoping to find something else with a view.
4. I'm an architect with only about a year of real work experience because of the economy. In Tucson, there are still architects with 10+ years experience that are out of work. Any idea if the job market is any better in the Denver area?
5. I know there has to be great hiking nearby but is it mainly a summer thing because of snow on the mountains?

Sorry for the long rambling questions. I've been reading all I can and these are the questions I still have. Thanks!

Last edited by AZmama13; 10-11-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM

17,715 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default Welcome

Quote:
raves about the Cherry Creek schools. We're really hoping to find a place for less than $400,000 and Cherry Creek does not seem to be the neighborhood
The Cherry Creek School District and the Cherry Creek neighborhood have nothing in common except for the words.
Cherry Creek School District
Cherry Creek, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can definitely find a house for under $400K USD.
But, be prepared for how much more expensive Denver is than Tucson. About 50% more.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,732,745 times
I think you will love Denver. COL will be higher, but hopefully that will be covered by your husband's promotion! Seriously, though, outside of the Grand Canyon, the Rockies are awesome for hiking! You mentioned that you were from the midwest so you're familiar with cold weather, which you will get living in Colorado. However, you will also get four seasons again, which by itself may be worth the move! Hope all works well for your family.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,061,074 times
Oodles of hiking all year long. Many good hikes near Denver melt off in the winter. You'll get to know which ones are more exposed and thus the snow clears more quickly.

Mountain views can be had at all price points. But they may take longer to find depending on what is available when your looking. You can easily find a nice older home in a good neighborhood in the Cherry Creek School district for your price.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the helpful feedback. We're definitely more interested in an older home, that's what we have here. We'd love to avoid the McMansion subdivisions at all costs. Does anyone have any specific areas with older (affordable) homes?

Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,061,074 times
Take a look at Willow Creek in Centennial and nearby neighborhoods.
search on recolorado.com and then put in Willow Creek as the neighborhood.

Also try Heritage Place.

These are the only two subdivisions in the area I can remember but there are a number to choose from. I used to live in Heritage Place. Loved it! Very nice neighborhood. People don't tend to move very often from alot of the 70s neighborhoods in that area because they are so liveable. Great location, close to everything, along the light rail lines, good schools etc.

Last edited by mic111; 10-11-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 PM

I just did a quick search and Willow Creek would be perfect. The site didn't recognize Heritage Place but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Default What is older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
We're definitely more interested in an older home, that's what we have here
Older?
1880s
1980s
We have both.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
I just did a quick search and Willow Creek would be perfect. The site didn't recognize Heritage Place but I'll keep looking. Thanks!
Denver Neighborhoods Q & A, Heritage Place | One of the Best Denver Neighborhoods, Heritage Place | Denver CO Neighborhoods
COhomefinder | Heritage Place Centennial Colorado For Sale and Sold Real Estate Listings
HERITAGE PLACE & HERITAGE VILLAGE in CENTENNIAL, CO 80112 & 80121 | MyTownCryer

Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Older?
1880s
1980s
We have both.[/quote]

I guess by older I really just mean something with a little bit of character, that doesn't look like every other house on the block. It's tough to find something built within the last 25 years that fits into this category, in our price range anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver