Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM

150 posts, read 393,130 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are interested in relocating to Denver but need to get a feel for the job market for nurses. I am an ICU nurse with many years experience, and my daughter is a new graduate RN. I have my CCRN and a BA in the social sciences, but neither of us have a BSN, though we are ready to work on it. (Me, begrudgingly, as I was halfway through my MA in the social sciences (all healthcare related) when my employer quit paying for it.) How is the job market there? I know a number of the hospitals are HCA which really have a rep for a toxic work environment, but others are well-respected. I also know the pay rates are low in CO and the housing high. In FL I make almost $40 with night diff, but my new grad daughter has been quoted $21-24. I also hear there is a glut of nurses due to many schools in the area, and that lowers the pay rate and the job availabilty. I am also thinking about going there as a travel nurse first, but I heard a lot of travelers are in a waiting line for permanent positions at U of C hospital which has a great rep. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM

118 posts, read 181,123 times
Default nursing jobs

Two things. First of all HCA/Healthone in Denver has about 8 hospitals, numerous surgery centers and clinics so it's hard to believe all are toxic. I worked in the IT dept for HCA, not nursing but liked the atmosphere, pay and benefits.

Denver Health Medical Center also has lots of nursing jobs. Go to www.denverhealth.org look at the career/nursing section. Some of the nursing jobs say they will consider new grads. They list the pay rate for each position so you won't be guessing about that.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 26,714 times
FYI: if you're bilingual, you won't get any extra money for it. They will just EXPECT you to perform.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default HCA toxic

Both my wife and I worked for different HCA hospitals in Denver. It is indeed a toxic atmosphere. During the downturn, I know of at least one person who quit with no other job prospects in sight. She said it was getting to be more than she could bear.

For people in non-clinical positions there is an almost every other week request for them to take PTO because "census" is down. Then when those people go back to work, it's hurry up and catch up.

I had the feeling that the hospital I was in was constantly flirting around the edges of Joint Commission standards.

I'm retired, we live in another state and my wife now works for a non-profit hospital which she says is much less stressful than working for HCA.

Our experience with HCA was so poor we wouldn't want to be patients there let alone employees. There were, however, many good docotors on HCA's staff.

The Adventist system in Denver is a non-profit operation and, in my opinion, you would be much more satisfied as an employee. HCA convinced me that "for profit" hospitals are just that. For profit for shareholders and for gigantic bonuses for HCA executive officers. Patients and employees are just a means to that end.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM

255 posts, read 710,979 times
What is "HCA," exactly? My husband is about to look for an ICU nursing job in Denver as well, and we obviously want him in a positive working environment. Is Denver Health Medical an HCA facility? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Running off to work, but it stands for Hospital Corporation of America. Long story, but my wonderful FL Governor, Rick Scott (LOL) was the CEO if this early organization when they perpertrated the largest case of Medicare fraud in the history of Medicare, fine in the tens of millions, and under a governmental plan of scrutiny since. I follow a travel nursing forum for years and, while there are exceptions, the work environment is generally toxic. I hear this from nurse after nurse, in state after state. Mind you, they win awards for excellence here and there, but they torture nurses with punitive measures and work you to a bone on bare bones staffing. It is purely FOR PROFIT!

Thanks to the poster with the link, but how is the competition? My daughter did find a job in alternative medicine, but few wanted new grads. As for me, I had a local hospital HR admit they didn't even look at my application because they could see I have a lot of experience and would have to pay me too much, actually said it outright. Keep the input coming, we really want to come to Denver and would love to hear actual nurses tell me about the work environment!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM

255 posts, read 710,979 times
Thank you, stellar. We will try to steer clear of the HCA's. And, wow. That is so sad that a hospital HR would admit that they prioritize paying a low wage vs. having an experienced nurse like you. You deserve more than that... Keep your head up. =)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Ohardin, that is a great link! I am so impressed with their self-description as a "mission based organization." The new graduate residency program is incredible! Thank you!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
Hey stellar I am interested in denver too. Have you had any luck there yet? I have heard the same thing that they are saturated with new graduate nurses - didn't know you would be turned down for having too much experience as well?!?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM

I have not applied in Denver yet. I tried calling the HR of Denver Health System just to get a feel for the market and my marketability, but there was no getting a real human being. I am flying in the second weekend of January just to get a feel for the city, plus I have contacted a real estate agent to see what is in the Capital hill and Highland areas. Assuming I love the city, I will start applying then for a full time job. I had considered doing a travel nursing assignment in the area, but decided that it is too risky in this economy and healthcare environment to give up my decent job and my house without a fulltime job on the other end. I also (kicking and screaming) enrolled to begin a FL RN to BSN bridge program in January (it is all online classes), I figure at the very least I can honestly say I am pursuing my BSN. It is a reality so might as well accept it. I will keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver