Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 90,406 times

Advertisements

Their is a van parked outside my apt on a public street. It has been in the same spot for a month now. Normally I wouldn't care, but the very large van happens to be all I see outside of my only window - so it has become bothersome. I've searched the denver website for information on long term parking on public streets, but I haven't found anything with specifics on how long a car can stay in one spot. Anyone have any information?

I am in central denver, and it is not a "2 hour parking only" street... I'd hate to have to wait until street sweeping starts up again to see this car get moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
You might try calling 311 to find out whom you should contact. Denver 311 is a link for non-emergency services and communications between citizens and the City and County of Denver.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM

25 posts, read 89,479 times
In my Denver living days I received a ticket after my car broke down, in front of my house, and it sat for 3 days. The cops had marked the tires Call the non emergency line and report an abandoned car.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default 48 hours or maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
Their is a van parked outside my apt on a public street. It has been in the same spot for a month now.
I am pretty sure the rule is 48 hours.
Unless, of course, it is a FBI van. Then, rules are different.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
Their is a van parked outside my apt on a public street. It has been in the same spot for a month now. Normally I wouldn't care, but the very large van happens to be all I see outside of my only window - so it has become bothersome. I've searched the denver website for information on long term parking on public streets, but I haven't found anything with specifics on how long a car can stay in one spot. Anyone have any information?

I am in central denver, and it is not a "2 hour parking only" street... I'd hate to have to wait until street sweeping starts up again to see this car get moved.
I have a very similar situation in front of my house. I have done some research and came across this policy- Abandoned Vehicles

Apparently, if you report an abandoned vehicle it has to be moved within 72 hours or else it will be towed by the city. I am a bit apprehensive as this seems open to abuse and retaliation from the targeted owner. But if you do try this, let us know how it goes.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM

51 posts, read 116,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am pretty sure the rule is 48 hours.
Unless, of course, it is a FBI van. Then, rules are different.
That's correct. 48 hours, but it generally has to be called in. I made the mistake of parking in front of a law firm for 2 days (I walked to work in cap hill), and had a $150 ticket on my windshield. I would have been towed to impound in a couple of days. Good thing I wasn't out of town!

See if you can figure out who owns it. If it's broken down, that's $150 less they're going to have to pay a tow truck. That's a lot of money for people who would leave a van in the same place for a month. My 2 cents...

Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 20,138 times
Default Abandoned vehicles

I am fairly conflicted on this issue. We just moved to town and unfortunately onto a street which, experiences a high volume of parking conflicts. The giant apartment building does provide ample parking, but some of it's tenants try to save money parking on the streets. Overnight is legal and for a day as well. But quite often they leave their cars over a week or month. Once the number of apartment dwellers parking here reaches 7 or more residence cannot find parking near their home. I think it is incredibly disrespectful and disruptive. It sucks when you come home with building supplies and groceries and have to go get a wheel barrel to cart everything to the house. I am thinking about calling in the plates for the three offenders who have left them for the past couple weeks. It was a bummer they got missed during the recent street sweeping week. I hope someday they develop some awareness of their effect on the world around them. I hope they purchase a home with limited parking, have a baby and try to get any myriad of purchases into their home without taking risks and jumping through the hoops of negotiating around some self absorbed twenty something jackass, who just wants to score a good spot retuning home from a drunk fest. Well that run on about says it all. Laws exist to relieve the public from this type of aggravation, so I will be calling in those offending cars.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM

220 posts, read 748,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort_canard View Post
I made the mistake of parking in front of a law firm for 2 days (I walked to work in cap hill), and had a $150 ticket on my windshield. I would have been towed to impound in a couple of days. Good thing I wasn't out of town!
There has to be more to that story. You don't get a $150 parking ticket unless it was parked in a restrictive parking zone.

Bottom line, if you call it in the police will ticket and get the car towed usually after 72 hours. Denver likes to write parking ticket and collect the revenue.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAriba View Post
There has to be more to that story. You don't get a $150 parking ticket unless it was parked in a restrictive parking zone.
Or they just kept ticketing for the same thing.

I once thought I was parking on a street with no posted time limit, but in fact I hadn't seen the 2 hour limit parking sign. The parking maid came by and gave me a ticket every two hours, so by the end of the day I had 4, $25 tickets for the same violation.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 56,649 times
just an update because i keep seeing that erroneous 48-hour figure — the rule in Denver is 72 hours (and consistent with RonAriba, my experience is that in most neighborhoods it's enforced by complaint, after which the car will be tagged and the 72-hour clock will start)

you can read the regulations here, see sec. 54-465:

https://library.municode.com/HTML/10...IV3PRSPPL.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: