Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 140,047 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a career move - he currently works at home and we live in the north end of Broomfield. He's being recruited for a job in the Denver Tech Center, and he's obviously very concerned about the commute. Before he decides it's not worth it, does anyone know if the bus/light rail system can get him to Denver Tech Center? I've looked all over the RTD site but I don't know what the stops are called, and it's kinda confusing. I believe the Park N Ride he'd use is Huron and 120th, I think it's called Wagon Road or something. How complicated is it to get down to the Tech Center using the bus and light rail? It looks like it'll have to be a combination of the two. Any info would be appreciated. And yes, I know how far that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Call 303.299.6000

Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I can't help you with the buses, but regarding your comment, "I know how far that is", my neighbor kid (well, 22) is commuting from Louisville to DTC. It's doable.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
It's not at all complicated, but maps at 1:15 commute time. Via Google Maps: W 120th Ave & Huron St, Westminster, CO 80234 to E Orchard Rd & Interstate 25, Greenwood Village, CO 80111 - Google Maps

I used Orchard Station (in the Tech Center). If his office his located within walking distance of the station it would be quite easy and convenient - with one transfer downtown. Union Station will be soon remodeled and make for a pleasant transfer.

If he's working more than .5 miles from the station he'll need to catch another bus or one of the tech center circulators, which IMO adds to the inconvenience factor (extra wait times and pain during inclement wx).

Also working off Belleview in the Tech Center is a lot closer than off Dry Creek or parts further south.

It's definitely not a commute I'd want (2+ hours of daily sitting time) but if I had to make it I'd travel via the above method.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 AM

136 posts, read 460,942 times
There is no way to make that particular commute by car, bus, or rail, in less than an hour during rush hour. My experience is that one hour each way is the tipping point for a commute; in a sense that once your daily commute exceeds that time frame, your quality of life begins to suffer as a result.

That being said, if the job is worth it (i.e. more happiness, more money etc.) he may want to consider toughing out the commute for a couple months until you can sell your house and move closer to work.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,712 times
I used to work in the tech center until about 8 years ago and I had coworkers travel in from Longmont, Conifer, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, and Fort Morgan. One even came from Estes Park. DAILY. I thought they were all crazy. My commute was obnoxious just getting from Observatory Park to Orchard and I-25. I do know that they used to have an express bus from Longmont and Boulder into the tech center that coworkers used to take. I would be very leary of a Broomfield to DTC commute in any form.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seichewave View Post
I used to work in the tech center until about 8 years ago and I had coworkers travel in from Longmont, Conifer, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, and Fort Morgan. One even came from Estes Park. DAILY. I thought they were all crazy. My commute was obnoxious just getting from Observatory Park to Orchard and I-25. I do know that they used to have an express bus from Longmont and Boulder into the tech center that coworkers used to take. I would be very leary of a Broomfield to DTC commute in any form.
Long commutes seem to be fairly common. I know people who I work with in downtown Denver that commute in daily from Idaho Springs, Bailey, Colorado Springs, Greeley, Ft Collins and even Silverthorne. Not for me but people do it.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
I'm a bit late replying, but I live in Broomfield (the southern end) and I commute into downtown Denver via the Wagon Road Park N Ride. It takes me 45 minutes door to door on the average, and frequently longer when there's weather or just traffic on 25. The bus takes the HOV lane, but that doesn't start until Thornton and you're stuck in traffic with the rest of the front range until then. Honestly, my worst nightmare is an opportunity popping up in DTC. I know people that do it, but they leave really early (6 am).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver