Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved here to Denver. I have a nice little apartment in Capitol Hill that I share with my cat. Unfortunately, my car isn't shipping out here until September, so I haven't gotten the chance to see too much of my new city beyond Capitol Hill and Downtown in the two months that I've been here.

Next month my family is coming to visit for four days. It'll be my two parents (both almost 60), my sister (20's), and her baby (1 year). I am 20 years old.

Do you guys know of any activities or sight-seeing that would be appropriate for the five of us? We don't have to do everything together every day, like I would love to try rafting or go for a hike with just my dad (he's very athletic) one of the days that he's here. And it might be nice to go to the zoo with just my sister and her baby.

A few people have recommended Rocky Mountain National Park as well as checking out Boulder and Golden with the whole family. Could those be day trips? Or are they an overnight kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I have recently moved here to Denver. I have a nice little apartment in Capitol Hill that I share with my cat. Unfortunately, my car isn't shipping out here until September, so I haven't gotten the chance to see too much of my new city beyond Capitol Hill and Downtown in the two months that I've been here.

Next month my family is coming to visit for four days. It'll be my two parents (both almost 60), my sister (20's), and her baby (1 year). I am 20 years old.

Do you guys know of any activities or sight-seeing that would be appropriate for the five of us? We don't have to do everything together every day, like I would love to try rafting or go for a hike with just my dad (he's very athletic) one of the days that he's here. And it might be nice to go to the zoo with just my sister and her baby.

A few people have recommended Rocky Mountain National Park as well as checking out Boulder and Golden with the whole family. Could those be day trips? Or are they an overnight kind of thing?

Cap Hill to both Boulder and/or Golden is about 45 min- 1 hr one way. RMNP is probably closer to 2 hr. The 1 yo may be too young to enjoy the zoo much, though it's fun for the adults. If it's hot, you could try the Broomfield Bay. It has water park features for little kids, plus a full size pool. That too would take about an hour. Everyone could enjoy themselves.
City and County of Broomfield - Official Website

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post

if your parents are anything like mine, they love hanging out with their grandkid so a trip to the children's museum might be good. pearl st in boulder is a good place to walk around for people of all ages.

depending on the one year old's tolerance for longer car rides, RMNP would be cool. there's lots to see by car once you arrive and plenty of places to pull off and do a short hike or enjoy the view. if you can go on a weekday, even better (slightly less crowds).

broomfield bay sounds great (haven't been yet), and a few weeks ago my wife and i took our 1 1/2 year old daughter to surfside park in lakewood which might be closer. probably helps if the kid is at least walking, though.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Great suggestions! Thank you both!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Next month will be too late to go rafting.

If you Dad is in his late 50s and coming from sea level, you don't want too much strenuous hiking. You could consider Cottonwood Canyon, south of Parker, for some light and very interesting hiking. Garden of the Gods would be a great trip.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM

47 posts, read 93,053 times
Castlewood Canyon near Parker is a good family day trip. Great vistas, and a stream to play in if your family is ok with carrying the little one for about a mile.

Everyone that I've taken loves Mount Evans, but I wouldn't take anyone there until they've acclimated to the altitude for a couple of days - also wouldn't take the kid on that trip because of the altitude change. It's about an hour from Denver, and another hour to hour and a half to the top. Might be fun for you and your dad. You can hike around a bit and see wildlife/etc.

If you're looking for an easier but rewarding hike near the metro area, try Mount Falcon. It's around the corner from Red Rocks.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Thanks, ageinco. I meant "Castlewood Canyon"!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the altitude adjustment. If that doesn't turn out to be too much of a problem, then Castlewood Canyon will be perfect for my father and I.

Thanks again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver