Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM

216 posts, read 438,500 times

Advertisements

I have posted here in the past, as I was under consideration for a position in Denver. I visited in the spring, and I have been to Denver one other time. While the job did not work out several months ago, I am now back in the job hunt there.

My questions are:

1. Housing:
I get the sense that housing prices are rising both for purchases and rentals. Would it be reasonable to find a small house or duplex with a yard (I have dogs, and no they are not banned breeds), in a safe area of or a close-in suburb, for $1300 or less? I would be commuting to downtown Denver. I would very much like to be able to use the bus or light rail if possible - being able to bicycle to work would be even better.

2. Social Life:
As an educated professional mid-thirty-something from out-of-state, I need to determine if Denver will be a good place for me to meet people and date. My personality is outgoing, adventurous and down to earth. I like healthy and creative food, yoga and fitness, craft beer, and outdoor adventures. Though I have never skied or snowboarded, I'd be game. I get the sense that Denver/Boulder has a pretty educated population, which is important to me as well.

3. Expenses in general:
I'd be interested in finding out more about how Denver compares to other cities as far as cost of car insurance, health insurance, property taxes, and state income tax. Any resources would be appreciated.

It's likely that I would have to accept a pay cut to move to Denver, but if I can make it work on my salary, I would likely take the plunge. I am not content where I am now (Miami area, which is less than ideal both socially and professionally, but mostly socially) but I want to make sure Denver will be the right fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Might be helpful

//www.city-data.com/forum/31029431-post16.html

Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Wow, thanks! That certainly is helpful and positive.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Default Some goals conflict

Housing typically gets cheaper the further from central Denver you go.
Social life would be strongest the closer you get to Union Station.

These are two very broad statements, but illustrate your pending problem.

This Beautiful new loft near Berkeley Park and Tennyson Shops is quite nice, but no yard. I live about 6 blocks away.
My searching on PadMapper was not encouraging. You should really dig deep into it.
I have noticed that some landlords in my neighborhood (Berkeley) just post signs in the front yard. You only find the place by driving/walking by.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Housing typically gets cheaper the further from central Denver you go.
Social life would be strongest the closer you get to Union Station.

These are two very broad statements, but illustrate your pending problem.

This Beautiful new loft near Berkeley Park and Tennyson Shops is quite nice, but no yard. I live about 6 blocks away.
My searching on PadMapper was not encouraging. You should really dig deep into it.
I have noticed that some landlords in my neighborhood (Berkeley) just post signs in the front yard. You only find the place by driving/walking by.
Thanks, I had searched padmapper as well, and had not come up with much.
I do want to live near downtown, but a yard is a must. I don't need to go out every night; I would just prefer to live in a neighborhood that is relatively close in to make it easier.

What are some good central neighborhoods that one would likely find well-kept pet friendly duplexes with yards?

Is this in a decent/safe area? See listing: http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/4003622528.html

One more question - how much is a monthly bus/light rail pass if one was to try to take the bus/light rail to work a few times per week?

Last edited by EdgeCity; 08-19-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I had around the same budget for a SFH. Didn't work out, but my standards where high-ish. I wanted a dishwasher, laundry in unit. I'm basically in a tri-plex (2 story house with basement, apartments on each floor), and we're right below your max budget in Congress Park. I searched for 2.5 months before finding my place--there isn't a ton out there and my landlord admits that the price is slightly below market so he can fill occupancies very quickly. Its very hard to find a single family house in the city if you're not "on the ground" searching. Our first year, we just gave up and lived in an apartment because the long-distance search was impossible.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCity View Post
Thanks, I had searched padmapper as well, and had not come up with much.
I do want to live near downtown, but a yard is a must. I don't need to go out every night; I would just prefer to live in a neighborhood that is relatively close in to make it easier.

What are some good central neighborhoods that one would likely find well-kept pet friendly duplexes with yards?

Is this in a decent/safe area? See listing: Edgewater 2 br 1 ba house $1175

One more question - how much is a monthly bus/light rail pass if one was to try to take the bus/light rail to work a few times per week?
I think Edgewater is pretty safe. Other areas to consider - Park Hill, Mayfair, East Colfax, Virginia Village, University Hills, Wheat Ridge, and Arvada. You are going to have very few options close-in at your price point - Denver has very little rental inventory. I'd consider spending more on rent or possibly buying if that is an option.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCity View Post
Is this in a decent/safe area? See listing: Edgewater 2 br 1 ba house $1175
I know a middle class couple who live at 26th and Gray. So, just a few letters in the alphabet further east.
Edgewater is improving as more people look there instead of the unaffordable Sloan's Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver