Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

33 posts, read 59,246 times

Advertisements

So we are still in the "trying to find the right place for us" planning stages, but would really appreciate some insight into the Denver area. I am married with 2 kids (one is graduating high school and one is 3 years old). My husband and I are both in the medical field (I am a MRI Technologist and he is a X-Ray Technologist). We both grew up in the San Francisco bay area; however, we have both lived in various states of the country. We make decent money, but can't afford anything around here! lol We would love to be able to buy a nice home to call our own and have our son grow up in. Homes in this area (Campbell) are 700k and up (for decent ones). I refuse to pay that for what you get. Long story short, we have been doing a lot of research, trying to find out what states and areas would give us most of what we want. Low cost of living, great education, low crime, accessibility to amenities. We long for a friendly, small community. We do not want to live in the city, but would prefer a suburb, i.e., Centennial, Littleton, Broomfield, etc.
I realize we would be giving up some nice things too. But we are at the point that we would sacrifice that to have a nice home and not feel like we are living in a rat race. We cannot get ahead!
Colorado is a beautiful state, but I am a little concerned that we would not really be saving a whole lot on a home (looks like prices are going up)
Any advice on areas to look more into would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
You can get a great house here for way less than $700k, especially in the more distant suburbs away from the city core, as well as in Colo Spgs.

Use realtor.com to see prices and styles.

Tell us your budget, that will help a lot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
What can you afford for a home?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Some ideas

Houses in Texas are much cheaper.
Given that you have considered Texas and Colorado, you appear not to be concerned about red/blue politics.
Why not look at metro areas that actually have small towns? Denver really does not.
St Louis does.
Minneapolis does.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM

11,829 posts, read 34,444,869 times
I moved here from Sunnyvale. Best thing to do now is plan a visit.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
What can you afford for a home?
We were wanting to stay under $350k. Obviously we would rent for a while until we ultimately decide on an area. After searching some of the areas of Denver, i.e., Littleton, Cetennial, etc, it looks like we could possibly get an "ok" home. Looks like prices have come up in the area?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Houses in Texas are much cheaper.
Given that you have considered Texas and Colorado, you appear not to be concerned about red/blue politics.
Why not look at metro areas that actually have small towns? Denver really does not.
St Louis does.
Minneapolis does.
We aren't too concerned about politics. We were kind of set on Colorado and were planning a visit out there, but started looking at homes again and looks like prices are going up...so that got me a little concerned. Our main point is to be able to buy a nice home for the money. So we started looking into Texas, because we are able to get much more house for the money. (we would make the same salary in each). So we are trying to weigh our options and all the pros/cons. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You can get a great house here for way less than $700k, especially in the more distant suburbs away from the city core, as well as in Colo Spgs.

Use realtor.com to see prices and styles.

Tell us your budget, that will help a lot.
Our budget is under 350k. I am sure we could get a home for less, but we would also like to be in a safe, newer, great schools, etc (what everyone wants :-)

I will try to look into Colorado Springs. I was worried about job opportunities....figured we shouldn't have a problem around a large city. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM

12,844 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssillen View Post
We aren't too concerned about politics. We were kind of set on Colorado and were planning a visit out there, but started looking at homes again and looks like prices are going up...so that got me a little concerned. Our main point is to be able to buy a nice home for the money. So we started looking into Texas, because we are able to get much more house for the money. (we would make the same salary in each). So we are trying to weigh our options and all the pros/cons. Thanks for your help!
It is hot as hell down here.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM

322 posts, read 525,213 times
I also moved from Northern CA to escape the high cost of living. Prices are definitely high in the Denver area. However, you still have lots of options at $350K. In addition to Broomfield, Littleton, and Centennial, you should also consider places like Parker and Highlands Ranch. Maybe Arvada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver