Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times

Advertisements

I am now looking for It opportunities right myself. I have done IT work in the past (server administration, user support etc.) and also do for myself while getting my B.S. Degree in CIS. As I am graduating this December, I have been looking for opportunities.

Most of the current tech work is in the area of development (not my area). There are server administration/support jobs, but not as much as we once used to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Why did you move before you found a job?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
The Tech Center is a really big place with hundreds of different companies of different sizes. There are all sorts of office jobs as well as restaurant and some retail. I'm not sure that there is any one place that lists all of the companies that are located there. I'm also not surprised that you are having trouble finding something with only an associates degree and not many years of experience. You are going to have to start at the very bottom at the entry level. Of course, you didn't say what kind of job you're looking for.............

Old 11-23-2007, 01:39 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,139 times
Why did I move before I found a job? Because my apt lease was up, of course. It's not like I do not have a job now, just a crappy one with decent pay. It's amazing what some companies will pay me if I wanted to do the same thing--which I most definitely do not, I'm in customer service & HATE it---they pay so ridiculously less to do almost the same thing.

How depressing! So are you guys saying that without a bachelor's degree, I can't get anything decent? Even if I wanted to complete my degree, it would take me years to do it. I have almost 10 years experience in a variety of customer service, administrative, etc. type jobs. I think that's enough experience for most jobs.

Sorry, don't mean to vent, but if Denver is so expensive to live in, why don't they pay anyone a decent salary? $15/hr or something is not much to live off of when you're on your own. I feel like I'm going to have to get a bachelor's degree in something just to get one to make me more competitive.

Anything else I can do in the meantime to find something now? Any local websites I could search?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
Why did I move before I found a job? Because my apt lease was up, of course. It's not like I do not have a job now, just a crappy one with decent pay. It's amazing what some companies will pay me if I wanted to do the same thing--which I most definitely do not, I'm in customer service & HATE it---they pay so ridiculously less to do almost the same thing.

How depressing! So are you guys saying that without a bachelor's degree, I can't get anything decent? Even if I wanted to complete my degree, it would take me years to do it. I have almost 10 years experience in a variety of customer service, administrative, etc. type jobs. I think that's enough experience for most jobs.

Sorry, don't mean to vent, but if Denver is so expensive to live in, why don't they pay anyone a decent salary? $15/hr or something is not much to live off of when you're on your own. I feel like I'm going to have to get a bachelor's degree in something just to get one to make me more competitive.

Anything else I can do in the meantime to find something now? Any local websites I could search?

Thanks
Why not check the "Operations & Logistics" section in the classified, and go to the Denver Chamber of Commerce website, which will likely give you a listing of businesses in the area. From there, check the individual company websites for career opportunities as many employers start recruiting on their own site before paying a classified or head-hunter premium.

Tailor your resume to each job that you apply to. Remove jobs that don't directly boost you as a candidate. Be aggressive. Also, look into how you can finish your degree now while you're on your own. It becomes much more difficult once you're not.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 AM

355 posts, read 2,403,139 times
LOL, oh, I don't ever plan NOT to be on my own. The only thing I'm worried about is wasting all that $ on college & then come to find out it doesn't help me in any way. I can't imagine being in debt for the rest of my life for nothing.

Thanks for the tips, Iowa! I will check out the Denver Chamber of Commerce's website. I have been tailoring every cover letter & whatnot to each job as best I can--I've been doing everything right, just no hits. I've been searching for 3 months & am trying to be as aggresive as can be, but I already have 2 jobs as it is so my time is limited

I currently am trying to finish my degree at Metro State--has anyone else gone there??

Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 AM

385 posts, read 1,576,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
I am moving to Denver next week & have been searching for a new job closer to my new place. I've considered looking at DTC but have no idea what companies or types of jobs are in the area. All I really know is it's one of the busiest areas as far as traffic in the morning. I've tried to do a search on here but haven't really come up with anything.

Can anyone tell me how to find out more about which companies are in the DTC? I've been searching for a new job for over 3 months. It seems impossible to find a decent one without a bachelors (I only have an associates) or 5-10 years of experience in this or that--it's becoming ridiculous.

My current job is in Westminster. Until I find a new job, can anyone tell me what I'm going to be looking for as far as the drive from say I-70/270 to 36/104th in the morning? I have a feeling the distance will be shorter but the commute time will be hell. I work 8-5.

Can anyone offer any advice or thoughts?
What is your profession? If it's Engineering related I may be able to help you.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 AM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
The only thing I'm worried about is wasting all that $ on college & then come to find out it doesn't help me in any way. I can't imagine being in debt for the rest of my life for nothing.

I completely understand. I have two more years to finish myself Good luck in all!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Your experience is all in customer service, and administration. If you want to continue doing that, you probably don't need to finish school. If you want to change careers to a more remunerative one, it looks like you will need to get that degree. Two years is not such a long time. You could "bite the bullet", take out student loans and get it done.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
Default IT Headhunters/Recruiters

We are looking to relocate to Denver in the next few months and my husband is looking for a job as an IT Manager, Director, CTO, CIO, etc. Basically managing an IT dept.

We've been told the best way and quickest way to find a job is through a headhunter. I'm having trouble finding places like that on the internet. What are some good IT recruiting firms in Denver?

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver