Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,070 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Chicago and will be moving to Denver in the next few months. When I moved to Chicago, 7 years ago I sold my car. I have survived without a car for the last 7 years, however I'm moving to Denver and I know I will want and need a car.

What kind of vehicle do I need? Will a car get me buy or do I need a small SUV due to Denver winters and my occasional trips to the mountains? I'm torn and need some advice. I'm looking for a vehicle with great gas mileage, decent power, low insurance, and reasonably priced ($25K and under). Then comes to the decision do I need a vehicle with FWD or AWD?

I have narrowed down the search to the following:

SVU's
Nissan Juke (Cons: Premium Gas Only; Insurance Cost Is Other Than The Other's I Got Quotes On)
Subaru XV Crosstrek (Cons: Reviews Say Not Much Power)
Mazda CX-5

Car's
Toyota Corolla
Nissan Sentra
Subaru Imprenza (Pro: AWD)
Honda Civic Hybrid (How Are Hybrid's In Denver & The Mountains?)

I am open to other suggestions and feedback.

Thank you for all the help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Limited Choice

Colorado state law, CRS 137.89.21, says that all newcomers to the state must buy a Subaru.

Be prepared for the registration fees on a new car. They are hefty.
This page will be helpful Calculate First Registration Fee (ignore the Boulder County part)

Sales tax on a new car will be depend upon address, but a rough estimate would be 8%.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
AWD will always cost a penalty in fuel and tires compared to FWD. However, Subaru's are very popular in the area with their reasonably priced AWD performance and the current models deliver 30+ mpg. The "con" of "not much power" for the Crosstrek is a relative observation; ie, in the adverse driving conditions when the AWD is a real benefit to your getting around, the HP is appropriate for the situation (and none of the vehicles you've mentioned has any real excess of HP for normal driving, either). If I were making a lot of trips to the mountains for wintertime activities, then Subie would certainly be at the top of my list. You don't "need" an SUV to get around the Denver area or up to the mountains, it's a choice of the utility of the vehicle (size/seating). They are, however, very convenient to use and for a lot of owners represent a good all-around vehicle. If the Impreza is comfortable for you and sized to your needs, then a very good choice, too. I've been driving Subie OBW's since 1995 after years of driving Audi 4000CS Quattro's and they've all been highly reliable, minimal service, comfortable, reasonable fuel economy, easy-to-drive in inclement conditions cars and very confidence inspiring when the weather/road conditions get nasty and folk are having some issues with getting around. Good appropriate winter tires are a bonus, too (which is how I got around with M-B and BMW RWD cars for decades before settling into the AWD cars, accident free but not without needing to chain up now and then for my commute to the Colorado mountains from the Denver area).

However, if you aren't planning on doing a lot of wintertime mountain driving, then a FWD car will be quite suitable for getting around the Denver area and that infrequent inclement weather mountain trip. So your choices widen to cars which can deliver better fuel economy and performance, and I'd be looking at the FWD offerings from the domestic manufacturers as well as the ones you've mentioned. For the most part, I'd be guided by price/options which you desire more than a particular brand in this group; ie, none of the majors make a truly terrible car in this price range. If you like the Toyota ... so be it. If you like the Sentra ... so be it. If you like a Ford ... so be it. Test drive 'em all, find out what appeals to you about each car, focus on the one you like, make your best deal and drive away. You'll do OK by any of them.

PS: understand that most of your difficulty with driving in the Denver area in the winter will not be deep snow, it will be black ice conditions. Hard pack snow, which you'll frequently find, is a pretty good surface to drive on with reasonably prudent driving. Generally, the only time you'll encounter really deep snow in the Denver metro area streets will be after a major snowstorm before the plows get to all the streets ... and these are infrequent, newsworthy events as truly major snowstorms that hit the area now and then. IF the conditions are bad enough that you can't get around with a FWD car with decent snow tires on it, then you can count on most of the rest of Denver drivers can't, either. These are days when you stay home until conditions improve. It does pay to keep an eye on the weather/road forecasts, which are readily available via radio, TV, and 'net, and plan your travels accordingly as advised; it's a big deal in the area and you'll find it hard to not be informed. Denver's climate and altitude contribute to a lot of the road clearing where the sunshine and dry air effectively clear much of the roadway through the winter season; unlike lower elevation riparian climate areas, you'll be able to watch snow/ice on the roads disappear just from the intense sun. Of course, you need to be aware of the shaded areas which may not clear as quickly on the roads.

PPS: understand that any naturally aspriated car you buy will suffer from the altitude, to the tune of a 15% power loss from sea level. While a turbo can mitigate that power loss for increased performance, understand that the "speed costs money". You don't get the increase in power for free because the turbo simply improves the volumetric efficiency so you can burn more fuel to make more power. Most folk do not get as good a fuel economy with a turbo'ed gasoline powered car as they will without it because they typically drive to take advantage of the increased HP on tap. The key to driving in the mountains on the grades and keeping up with traffic is to downshift as required; with many automatic transmissions, this will require that you select the range to do so, or with a manual transmission, shift out of the top gear to the next lower. Yes, you will see higher engine RPM's while you climb the hill, but the engine will be running in a more efficient range to create the HP needed to drive the car at the higher speed ... and this is a concern pretty much limited to clear road driving at 65-70-75 mph in the mountains. During the winter months, you'll typically be driving on the inclement weather road surfaces at a much slower speed due to the road condititions ... and may need to be in a lower gear to begin with to drive at that speed on the grades. It is prudent with a lot of cars to use the same gear range going down a hill as it is up the hill, too, using the engine braking rather than riding the brakes in top gear as so many flat-landers tend to do.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-22-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
If your winter and/or mountain driving is limited to paved roads after the plows have been thru, then most any sedan/coupe with Front Wheel Drive and all-season tires will be OK. If you will be off-roading, or driving when chain-law is in effect on I-70, then that is a whole other discussion. If looking at car with a smallish 4 cyl engine, consider a model with a Turbocharger. Some of the small 4s struggle up some of the mountain roads. Don B's quip aside, Subarus with AWD are very popular with folks who live in the mountains and foothills, as they need to drive in snow that has maybe not been plowed. (BTW, Don's law also requires winter outerwear from North Face or Patagonia ;-)

IOW, only go with an SUV or crossover model if you need the cargo space, or want the "image".

Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Tires are more important than vehicle, but AWD is nice. Whatever you get, I highly recommend two sets of tires if you are planning to do much mountain driving. I own an Audi and a 4Runner. We do snow tires on both. I did a winter on the 4Runner with all season tires and the difference between those and snow tires is drastic.

Just remember that AWD means nothing as soon as your foot touches the brake pedal. At that point tires are the biggest determining factor between two otherwise equal cars.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-22-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
People will give you elaborate reasoning, but the cliffs note version of the answer is don't buy a rear wheel drive car and you'll be fine.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,070 times
Thanks everyone for the great information. I've always heard that in Denver I would need something with AWD or an SUV. It's nice knowing that it's not true. Helps narrow my car search down.

I think I'm leaning towards the 2014 Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra. I don't need anything big since I don't have a family. I just want something that's good on gas, decent insurance rates, practicable and reliable.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 PM

399 posts, read 817,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
People will give you elaborate reasoning, but the cliffs note version of the answer is don't buy a rear wheel drive car and you'll be fine.
RWD with winter tires can make it through Colorado winters as long as the roads are paved. It's just not suggested unless you're a masochist with a death wish.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,826 times
4WD is a must for mountains.

Other than that, you should be ok getting around on the bus if you don't like cars. And I'd get an SUV just so you can load it up for the mountains.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalImhotep View Post
4WD is a must for mountains.

Other than that, you should be ok getting around on the bus if you don't like cars. And I'd get an SUV just so you can load it up for the mountains.
If you are off-roading, then "4WD" may be required, depending upon how far off the beaten path ... as in jeep trails ... you are planning on going, or if you are headed to mountain communities where the roads aren't plowed very frequently.

But for normal commuting, including heading up frequently for skiing, 4WD is not a "must", not even advisable on pavement compared to the highly competent AWD systems of so many cars.

Again, the big issue is not deep snow, but icy/slick roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver