Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ski or snowboard
Ski 13 56.52%
Snowboard 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

I gave up my Skis back in the 80's, been riding ever since.

However, always learn on Skis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
I voted snowboard, though lately I've been thinking about switching to skiing. I'd done a little bit of both before settling down here before the 2010-11 season and I opted to stick with snowboarding. We got a ton of snow that year and almost every time I went I was riding in powder. As others have said, snowboarding through powder is unbelievably fun, so much so that these days I can't muster up much enthusiasm to go if there isn't at least a few inches of fresh snow. I think that 2010-11 season kind of spoiled me.

I've been told that if you have some experience surfing or skateboarding, snowboarding is a lot easier to pick up. Those who ice skate or rollerblade might take to skiing more quickly. I've been playing ice hockey pretty regularly since I was a kid, so hopefully that means if I did switch to skis it wouldn't take too long to get comfortable.

When learning to snowboard, you end up falling on your knees or butt versus falling on your side when on skis. I first learned to snowboard in the icy, icy Midwest and I came home black and blue after those first few days. At least here the snow should be soft.

I think that either skis or snowboards present their own inherent injury risks (twisted knees/broken legs vs sprained or broken wrists/collarbones). I don't know that one is more safe than the other.

I've also heard that the numbers of new snowboarders are dropping over the past few years as more people go with skis instead.

Being on a board sucks when you're trying to get across flat terrain, and as a newbie I spent a lot of time unstrapping and trying to get back on course or across flat sections.

For $310, you can get three lessons and a season pass at Loveland which I've always thought was a good deal for a beginner.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Even though your husband is on a different level, you could still ski together & he could give you lots of ski pointers, one advantage of skiing (a free instructor LOL)!
Oh no... BAD idea!
I've had a few friends think that was the way to go... let hubby or boyfriend teach them. Take a lesson from a real instructor and save your relationship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
However, always learn on Skis!
I disagree - there is no reason to learn to ski before you get on a snowboard. It is totally different. My nephews and my niece learned to ride, not ski. They learned quickly and have no interest in skiing.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-25-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Oh no... BAD idea!
I've had a few friends think that was the way to go... let hubby or boyfriend teach them. Take a lesson from a real instructor and save your relationship!

I disagree - there is no reason to learn to ski before you get on a snowboard. It is totally different. My nephews and my niece learned to ride, not ski. They learned quickly and have no interest in skiing.
Then we will disagree, but it also depends on age I guess.

I say take a 3 year old out for the first ride on a snowboard watch the resulting carnage and crying. Balance on a board is difficult and fraustrating. Skis are intrinsically balanced and allow a small child to plow and pizza wedge to control speed.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
I've done both, and there is no right answer, just preference.

If you come from a skateboarding background, go snowboarding, it will be more natural. Otherwise, you'll pick up skiing faster as a beginner. If you ever went ice skating/rollerblading, that's also to your advantage.

You'll be able to hang with your husband on the slopes faster if you go the skiing route, on a board its going to take you years, and years.

As for fun, they both have their merits. I started skiing, switched to snowboarding and got pretty good at it, now I'm contemplating skiing again just to have a new type of challenge. I can't say one is really more fun than the other, that's subjective, but snowboarding certainly has more comfortable boots. Oh, and you're also going to catch an edge several times learning to snowboard, and that is going to slam you, guaranteed.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Then we will disagree, but it also depends on age I guess.

I say take a 3 year old out for the first ride on a snowboard watch the resulting carnage and crying. Balance on a board is difficult and fraustrating. Skis are intrinsically balanced and allow a small child to plow and pizza wedge to control speed.

Agreed, moving straight forward is our natural way of movement as opposed to standing sideways.

Controlling speed on skis is also much easier as you can pizza. On a board, if you cant get it sideways, you can't stop or slow down, so you'll end up sitting down.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
If you are over 16 I don't recommend learning to snowboard. It can be done as an adult, but learning skiing is much easier. Also, since you're husband skiis, this would be a no brainer. Nothing breaks up couples more than mixing snowsports on the mountain.

And like others have said: snowboard on powder days, ski most other times.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
If you are over 16 I don't recommend learning to snowboard. It can be done as an adult, but learning skiing is much easier. Also, since you're husband skiis, this would be a no brainer. Nothing breaks up couples more than mixing snowsports on the mountain.

And like others have said: snowboard on powder days, ski most other times.
To this point, it is very frustrating as a skier to go with snowboarders because as you poll your way easily across catwalks, the snowboarders who are with you are stuck taking a foot out of their binding and trying to push themselves. It is annoying for both parties.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM

557 posts, read 811,216 times
Glad to see this topic! We've been wondering ourselves. Skiing it is.

My and I have never tried either though, but definitely want to get in to it this season. Recommendations on packages/where to go for a beginner ski lesson/gear rental package for a day just to try it out and see how we do? If we get good enough, I could see us buying passes and gears, but start with, we need to have it made as easy as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver