Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,468 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My fiance and I are looking to leave Chicago and move to Denver. I'm from LA and he Chicago. We own a large 2 bed 3 bath in the heart of Lincoln Park, with a small backyard and patio. I'm unfamiliar with Denver, but looking forward to less concrete jungle, more outdoor activities.

Is it possible to live in central denver and have a nice yard/garage? Its hard in Chicago but we've found it here.. If not, is there a close suburb where yards and garages/square footage is abundant, but the commute to downtown is manageable? I know in Chicago there are neighborhoods that are considered "in Chicago" rather than "suburbs" but are outskirts enough that there are bigger lots. Is Denver the same? Are there neighborhoods within the city that have more room? Sorry if these are silly questions. We have a dog and looking to start a family in the next few years, looking for a "settle down" home thats roomy enough but not too far from downtown for us urban folks. Honestly, I'm dying for a driveway. It's the little things..

Thanks for helping a newb out, hope to be in Denver soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM

26,215 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I'd count on what you seek being available, our regular posters in the Denver area will let you know soon enough.

It would help the OP if those responding could include a zip code for areas recommended as zip code helps find properties in realtor.com
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
There are many, many areas of Denver you can live with a yard and garage. Most of Denver, I'd say, with the exception of downtown, lower highlands, uptown, and most of capitol hill. Denver is much less concrete jungle than Chicago. A lot of houses have a front yard and aren't right on top of the sidewalk, with a backyard as well. I'd say most garages in Denver seem to back into an alley though, with no driveway. I'd just come visit. We have a yard & a garage in Congress Park; I'd say most houses in the area do. Our commute is only 3.5 miles to downtown, which can be done by bus if preferred. Congress Park is no Lincoln Park, but we're walking distance to groceries, restaurants, bars, public transit, a park, elementary schools. Not to mention, the housing stock is generally very nice and there's lots of leafy developed trees. My understanding is that the grade schools in this area are good too, but I don't know the specifics. It's a solid mix of young people, families, and some older folks.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,468 times
Woah thanks for such a quick thorough response! A scouting trip is in the works

Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Coming from Lincoln Park, Wash(ington) Park is going to be right up your alley. I'm assuming your budget is going to be fairly robust based on the cost of your place in Chicago.

In my opinion, it is the best location in Denver if you can afford the price of admission. Very centrally located, single family homes with yards and garages. As it is an old city neighborhood, these are obviously not suburban sized yards, but they do just fine.

Standard 1930s bungalows are often on 4,600 sq foot lots however there are quite a few 6,250sq/ft lots. These larger lots have been the target for pop tops and scrapes. An uremodelled bungalow on a 6,250 lot is $550K. A new build on one of the 6,250 lots will typically be 2 stories plus a full basement and roughly 1,500sq/ft per level and a detached alley access garage. These will start at about $1,200,000 and up.

You can find pop tops (houses where people have added a second floor to an old bungalow starting in the $700s, but often going for $900K. If these are done well, they can be almost like living in a new build, but cheaper.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
YES, it is much easier to find a house with a yard in Denver. You'll be 1 or 2 miles from the CBD, unlike being 20 miles away from the Loop!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 PM

322 posts, read 525,169 times
Wash Park, Platt Park, Park Hill, Mayfair, and Montclair all offer what you are seeking. Good luck with the move!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
What you need first is a map of all the neighborhoods of Denver, so you can understand all these posts
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf We even have a Lincoln Park neighborhood!

You can use this interactive map to look closer at these neighborhoods
http://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/neighborhoods

and to explore the neighborhood associations with links that you can get information
http://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/ne...dorganizations

You will find that there are other neighborhoods within the official neighborhoods that are often referenced because they are part of the history of the city. So for example, that you will the well regarded Mayfair neighborhood, as mentioned in the previous post, in the Official statistical neighborhood of Montclair. They would have their own neighborhood association http://mayfairdenver.org/

North Denver is an area of the city that has taken on the similar connotation as saying the Lower East Side of New York, East Philly, South Side of Chicago etc. and as such old Denverites will say "I grew up in North Denver". It have become very popular in recent years due to gentrification and is attracting new immigrants and young professionals which bring in new restaurants, bars and entertainment venues. Housing values are on the rise and new condos are being built. It is very close to the Downtown Denver. It was the original Italian neighborhood of Denver and it centered on West 38th and become more Hispanic over the years. It is not really on the North Side but is in the Northwest area of Denver. It includes the neighborhoods if Highlands, West Highlands, Berkeley, Sunnyside, Regis, Chaffee Park. Though some would argue that it includes other adjacent neighborhoods such as parts of Jefferson Park and of Sloans Lake.

In these neighborhoods, you will also hear referenced specific streets that have the origin of Old Trolley Car neighborhoods that now have been resurrected into walkable areas of shops and restaurants. Examples would be Tennyson Street (North of West 38th) in the Berkeley Neighborhood. Pearl Street in the Platt Park neighborhood and South Gaylord Street in the Washington Park neighborhood.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-26-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver