Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,732,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yes. And the thatched roof structure below it is Tidepools restaurant. No place like it in all the world (so far).

I hate to sound like a snob, but I've lived in Colorado for several years now and I haven't had that many great meals. Rioja's was one of the better ones, although we were just there for brunch. Amuze Bistro in Palmer Lake was excellent for continental fare but it no longer exists. (they moved to the Fine Art Museum but I haven't tried it there) Also I remember a very tasty meal in Durango but I can't remember what the place was called.
I'm from Durango!! But haven't really eaten at any new places. The old haunts are: Griego's, Francisco's, Kachina Kitchen. I must hit all three when visiting. Oh and then there's Sweeney's (Sow) up north. And the Ore House. Very good.

And you aren't a snob. We have so many restaurants in Denver, that I feel many many are just meh. I'd say my all time favorite is Elways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,424,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I have been dying to try Capital Grille!!!

Cuba Cuba was disappointing to me. Rice and beans should not cost over $10. I've been spoiled by traveling to surrounding countries and have had the real thing. Samba Room used to really do it right but they closed. : (
Agreed! It makes me laugh when they serve all these basic foods and charge an exorbitant price to naive customers with more money than brains.

I grew up as an Italian in New York. Years ago, I took my parents to an anniversary dinner at a upscale Italian restaurant. There on the menu was pricey Pasta e Fagioli or as my mother, growing up poor, knew as Pasta Fazool--Pasta with Beans. She laughed and laughed--she hated it because she ate it all too often. When she saw the expensive Polenta, which she knew as corn meal mush topped with tomatoes, which was sometimes the only food available--she was ready to walk out. I heard a big lecture, for months, that I was not frugal enough.

The same goes for many dishes that these pretentious restaurant try to soak up excessive profit from basic foods of the ethnic groups that ate them because the ingredients were what was inexpensively available.

What can I say? I did the same when I designed menus; cooked and served food--fancied it up; added a fancy garnish. The owners of the restaurants and hotels chuckled and laughed all the way to the bank.

Livecontent
CIA graduate many decades ago

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,007,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Meh. Some people are proud to drink Keystone light too. I'd rather have a good beer. Takes all kinds.
Same here, some people actually think Olive Garden is a high quality Italian restaurant...

Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,997,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Meh. Some people are proud to drink Keystone light too. I'd rather have a good beer. Takes all kinds.
You must be psychic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Same here, some people actually think Olive Garden is a high quality Italian restaurant...
Meh, too fancy.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Agreed! It makes me laugh when they serve all these basic foods and charge an exorbitant price to naive customers with more money than brains.

I grew up as an Italian in New York. Years ago, I took my parents to an anniversary dinner at a upscale Italian restaurant. There on the menu was pricey Pasta e Fagioli or as my mother, growing up poor, knew as Pasta Fazool--Pasta with Beans. She laughed and laughed--she hated it because she ate it all too often. When she saw the expensive Polenta, which she knew as corn meal mush topped with tomatoes, which was sometimes the only food available--she was ready to walk out. I heard a big lecture, for months, that I was not frugal enough.

The same goes for many dishes that these pretentious restaurant try to soak up excessive profit from basic foods of the ethnic groups that ate them because the ingredients were what was inexpensively available.

What can I say? I did the same when I designed menus; cooked and served food--fancied it up; added a fancy garnish. The owners of the restaurants and hotels chuckled and laughed all the way to the bank.

Livecontent
CIA graduate many decades ago
I think people like a fancy place to eat at every so often. I sure do. But it's so disappointing to go to Cuba Cuba and spend $100 on the same plate of beans and rice I ate at Cafe Mallorca (PR) for $5. And don't tell me there's a huge difference between Cuban food and Puerto Rican food. Heck, the entire Caribbean and Florida is all about rice and beans!

Sometimes I eat at these places, then angrily go home and cook it myself. ha!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM

872 posts, read 1,265,043 times
Euclid Hall does not belong.

This did, however, light a fire under me to visit the ones I haven't been to!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,601,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You must be psychic.
Exactly

Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,643,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You must be psychic.

Meh, too fancy.
Ah Keystone Light. The beer of my college days.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,147,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I've been to most of the rest on the list. . . some I was underwhelmed and would never choose to eat at again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
. . .

Like????
. . .
Linger.

I like the concept; location and view were great; service was excellent; atmosphere/ambience was fun; interesting, varied wine list; people working there are friendly and enthusiastic - unfortunately, the food was dreadful - sort of weird takes on foods that didn't need to be tweaked that just didn't taste very good.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Suzco: Well, shoot. I'd take awesome food over location, view, service. I mean, some of the places I have eaten at had the worst service and the best food!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver