Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,607,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What you're missing is not that autumn in CO is consistently bad, it's that it's totally inconsistent. Sure, it's really nice today, even at >7k', but it could suddenly turn freezing cold with sideways blowing wind and then be nice again.
That's fair. Colorado weather is always a bit unpredictable.

I don't think it's fair for people to say we don't really have a fall. To say that based on the rationale above, you would also have to say we don't really have a winter because some days it's sunny and 60 degrees in January.

We have great fall days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,078,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That's fair. Colorado weather is always a bit unpredictable.

I don't think it's fair for people to say we don't really have a fall. To say that based on the rationale above, you would also have to say we don't really have a winter because some days it's sunny and 60 degrees in January.

We have great fall days!
That's why people like our winters so much. They aren't like a real winter.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM

324 posts, read 656,312 times
I washed my car wearing shorts a day after Christmas one year, then another year it was late spring and walked in a restaurant and it was sunny and warm and it was snow storm.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM

50 posts, read 119,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Admittedly, I have never lived in the East so have not experienced one of the glorius East Coast falls everyone seems to rave about, but I do not understand why people on here are constantly saying Denver doesn't really have a fall.

We are right at seasonal average temps today so it is hardly unusual weather and it is absolutely perfect outside right now. The leaves are changing, the sun is shining, and the is a hint of chill in the air.

What am I missing??

I think people who say that Denver does not have a fall season have either not lived here very long, were passing thru or never lived in Denver at all!!

Fall season in Denver overall is the most pleasant and stable time of the year weather wise.. However we are prone to get a nasty cold spell or heavy wet snow event that damages the fall leaves but this does not occur consistently...

Any town or city on the east slopes of the Rockies or Black Hills are never immune from getting an early fall snowstorm that can wipe-out the fall foliage.. Didn't Rapid City, SD get 2 feet of snow back in early October??

Denver is above 5000 feet in elevation and some parts of the metro area are over 6000 feet so early Fall freezes and early snowstorms are always a possibility just like there are late Spring freezes and snowstorms but this does not always occur annually...

This Fall we have been teased with brief cold spells and light snow to ease us into the coming colder-snow months which I think is perfect...I'll take some 50, 60 and 70 degree days with a side order of some 40 degree days and overnight light snow which is what this Fall has given us thus far..

Denverites are very fortunate because whether Denver has a brief or prolonged fall there will always be fall like weather that visits Denver even in the heart of the winter thanks to the Chinook winds..

Looks like next week will be an intro to winter weather as temps will be in the 30's with a chance for snow!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,737,614 times
I've lived here for fifteen years, and I would have to say this is the most stunning fall I've seen in all my years in Denver. I'm noticing this year that there's a lot more colors, and they've had a longer chance to get to a full peak.

It isn't that Colorado doesn't have fall, but as pointed out above--fall in Colorado can be inconsistent with going back and forth between very hot or snowing. This is one of the few years where the temperature has been more 'steady' throughout the fall season.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 AM

872 posts, read 1,265,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What you're missing is not that autumn in CO is consistently bad, it's that it's totally inconsistent. Sure, it's really nice today, even at >7k', but it could suddenly turn freezing cold with sideways blowing wind and then be nice again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
who cares, I love it!!

Right there with you, Freelee. (I'll be grumbling about the sudden freeze on the inside, but hey - could always be worse. )

Old 10-26-2013, 09:26 PM

77 posts, read 112,977 times
Default Speaking as an East coast transplant...

The problem with fall and spring in Denver is the lack of humidity plus unpredictable weather. The unpredictability means fall colors rarely hit a peak because snow or high winds knock off all of the leaves before peak can occur (this year is an exception, I think). Plus, the species of trees make a difference--in the mountains, aspens are pretty much it for deciduous trees, and they only turn yellow, no oranges or reds; only in Denver do you get the literal transplants, non-native species that have a lot of variety of color.

The lack of humidity means that winter temperatures continue at nighttime for far longer in the spring and earlier in the fall than back east. In a "typical" fall in Colorado, due to the large temperature swings, you start getting 20s or 30s when the sun is down, whereas even in New England the nighttime temps stay in the 40s for much longer, meaning you have these glorious evenings with fall colors in at most a sweater. I've found that the beloved patios in Colorado are not quite as great as one might think because in the summer it's uncomfortably hot until 7 PM or later, and then once fall arrives, the sun goes down earlier and it's in the 30s and way too cold to enjoy a fire pit. Spring in the mid-Atlantic and southeast is much nicer than in New England, so you don't hear as much about the joys of spring compared to fall since the spring has a lot more rain, which negates the nice temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver