Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,914 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone:

My husband are I are moving back to Colorado at the end of this month, from Singapore. We have lived in Boulder County much of our adult lives, but have left twice for work. My husband's job will be in north Boulder.

When in Colorado, we have only ever lived in Boulder County, since the 80s. I lived in the city of Boulder (had a condo), and together we have lived in homes in Louisville and Lafayette. We love doing fun things in Boulder, but the housing prices kept us from ever buying there. Now, Louisville is just as cost prohibitive. So..... we are thinking of boldly looking beyond Boulder County. We'd like easy access to Boulder, and ideally Denver, too, along with easy access to trails and open space, shops, restaurants, gyms, etc.

We are empty nesters. We don't want a big yard. Out ultimate goal in a few years when my husband retires is to live part time in Colorado, and part-time on a coast somewhere.

Are there many empty nesters in Bradburn? It sounds like a great place, but also sounds like it's maybe inhabited mostly by very young families? Would we be out of place there? We love kids but our lives absolutely are not kid-centric at this point.

Any ideas and thoughts would be most welcome, on Bradburn or any other towns or 'hoods we should consider. We are prepared to spend 400-700k on a home. We will consider attached and detached homes.

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:08 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
work is in north Boulder
rent in Longmont
then search for something more permanent

Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
You might want to look at
Toll Brothers - The Enclave at McKay Shores

It is just being built so not sure of the demographics but they are small lots and the home plans include 3 main floor masters, 1 ranch and 1 traditional 2 story so I imagine that it would be popular with retired people. It is walking distance to King Sooper, some restaurants, banking etc. If you don't mind walking a little further or riding your bikes Orchard Town Center is very close and has alot of shopping, restaurants and movie theater. Also McKay lake is very nice to walk around.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
What about an over 55 active adult community?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM

We'd probably consider an over 55 active adult community..... never visited one, to be honest. We definitely are actively and "feel" younger than we are.

Last edited by backtocolorado; 01-01-2014 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks; I'll check out McKays -- not at all familiar with it!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Although I'd estimate about 60% of single family homes in Bradburn are families with middle/elementary kids, we do also have quite a number of empty nesters--they even have their own neighborhood group that holds events. You'd fit in great, everyone socializes with everyone of all ages, kids or no kids.

You might also take a look at Propsect New Town in Longmont. Prospect is a new urbanist community like Bradburn (walkable, mixed-use), but skews older with fewer kids demographically. At least according to a neighbor of mine who moved there, then moved back here because there were more kids for her young sons to play with.

Prospect is more expensive as it is Boulder County, and no grocery super close. Grocery close to Prospect is not far though either, it's only like 10 minutes, but in Bradburn there will be 4 grocery stores in 2-5 minute driving distance and 2 in 5-10 walking distance once Whole Foods is finished (Whole Foods and Sprouts.)

Houses in Prospect have small yards but the neighborhood architecture is very modern with crazy colors in some places. I personally love that but some people find it off putting. Bradburn has some modernish elements but is mostly traditional architecture. We do have some bright house colors but no comparison to Prospect. No neighborhood anywhere can compare to Prospect in that respect.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Thank you so much! I've seen Prospect and find it appealing (and yes, expensive), but if I had my druthers, we'd be sort of in between Boulder and Denver, much like we were when we lived in Louisville and Lafayette.

Bradburn sounds great, and you have alleviated my concerns about us being the sore thumb grandma and grandpa of the neighborhood. We actually enjoy seeing children out and about, and surely wouldn't mind making friends with a few kids and their parents. We are just past the "all kids all the time" phase of our lives. Your comments have been so very helpful to me; thanks again!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
How bad would the drive be from Bradburn to N Boulder?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Depends on traffic. In rush hour to Valmont off Foothills pkway is 30-40 minutes. Non rush is 20-25. If lots of snow and rush hour, easy 1-2 hrs. On those days we stay home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver