Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,147,008 times

Advertisements

So, i like to go on trips for spring break... but not to the beach. I live in Florida, and I like to experience new climates etc.

I have been to Denver probably 4 times, and been Skiing twice in Colo. (once in breck, once at steamboat)

1. Would I be able to ski during this time period still? If so, which resorts are the cheapest and best (close to denver).

2. Im contemplating going to Salt Lake city, since ive never been there for spring break, or Boston. I really want to see boulder, and go hiking, and Skiing.

3. Has anyone been to Salt Lake city and can compare it to denver? The mormon thing is kinda weird to me... but im assuming it would not impact my trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
LIft tickets are stupidly expensive if you did not buy a season on Labor Day at SNIAGRAB

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM

so one day would cost me?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,253,296 times
Ski slopes will be open through most of April. No problem anywhere in March.

Denver would be my choice over Salt Lake, and if I was college age, that would be a very clear choice. Salt Lake isn't much of a party town.

There are some great ski areas near Salt Lake, however. Alta and Snowbird have terrific spring snow. The last time I skied there we had about 3 feet of fresh, light powder. WOW! It was like skiing on air. I think that was in March, maybe late February.

I haven't skied any of the slopes close to Denver, unless you consider Vail close. It's great, but I know there are cheaper places. I'll let the locals speak to that.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
Default A lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by td* View Post
so one day would cost me?
$50+
if you find the best coupon

Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Anyone know of a kickass itinerary or ideas for this time frame?

Im 27, about to finish my masters degree in Urban City Planning, and am scouting out places to live also. I want to get my first job in the Denver Metro.

Staying cheap is a plus! Any Hostels that are decent in the area, or should i rock out on the AirBnb?

Skiing, is not a huge priority, just an idea to do for 1 day while im out there.

I want to go to boulder 1 day atleast and walk around and soak it up...

I want to go for some hikes, visit some awesome breweries, and meet some really cool people.

If any of you all want to meet up, and hang out for the day, or show me around to some good local spots, we could do that as well.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM

546 posts, read 1,820,295 times
davebarnes is right. It is so expensive for lift tickets. I have three kids but I am only planning to take my little one this year because he is under 5 and still free at Winter Park Using a friend's discounted coupon she received from buying her pass over Labor Day I will get in for about $60 I think. Otherwise it would be about $95. I noticed Winter Park has some slightly cheaper rates during weekdays but that won't be happening at any of the resorts during Spring Break. Spring is actually my favorite time to ski here because it is not as bone cold and the snow is nicer and not as many icy spots.

If you want to go to Boulder you can always stay there and ski at Eldora. I think it is less expensive there than a lot of the mainstream resorts. Loveland is also close and cheaper but you won't get the "resort" feel at either of these places.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks for all the good responses. Any good ideas on places to stay or places i should go.?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,580,549 times
The entire month of March is peak season at Colorado ski resorts. Typically the best conditions of the year can be found in March.

The closest, best area to Denver for spring break fun is Arapahoe Basin. Loveland is slightly closer, but A-Basin has beach parties all spring (Google "A-Basin Beach Party"). It's a blast.

The list of breweries is pretty much endless as are the marijuana shops if that's your thing.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,685,696 times
Tons of breweries in Denver now. In fact, there was a thread about that earlier this year that you should check out.

March and April can be very snowy months in Denver, so you may not do much hiking. One place that I like is Castlewood Canyon, down near Franktown.

Good luck with the job search. I also have my Masters in Urban Planning and worked for 20 years for a city government in the Denver metro area. Then worked for about ten years for a local planning and engineering consulting firm, which I really enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver