Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM

103 posts, read 464,213 times

Advertisements

Morning,

We learned this week there was a possibility of transferring jobs to the Denver area. My job would be in Greenwood Village.

We are a family of five living in suburban and expensive Fairfax County in Northern Virginia near DC. One of the reasons for the possible transfer is a better job opportunity, but the main reason is to get to an area with a lower cost of living than Northern Virginia.

Right now we live in a 1,900 square foot home with three bedrooms and two baths. The value in this area is over $550,000.

I've looked on the realtor sites and it appears we can get a bigger home out in Denver. Plus, we'd be looking for lower COL in other categories, as well as a slower, more relaxed pace of life. We don't want our children growing up in this area and learning how to drive on the Beltway.

So, I know a bit about the area, but can any of the Denver experts out there help me out with the following:

- What are some good areas to live near Glenwood Village? I'd be willing to drive 30 to 40 minutes in the morning to get there. I get up at 5 AM here just to get into my job in DC from the suburbs. We'd be looking for a 4 bedroom home in the range of $450k to $500k. Some land would be nice, too. We currently have .28 acres (lucky, we know!) and we really would like to move somewhere where our neighbors wouldn't be right on top of us. Good schools are obviously desirable, too.

- I've heard a lot about Denver winters, the sunshine, the low humidity, altitude, etc. Do folks from Denver thrive in the summertime, or do they simply endure it?

- I understand Denver is considered to be more expensive than other areas in the United States. However, if anyone has any experience in the DC area and can compare it to where we're currently living, that would be great.

- Anything else we might be overlooking before considering a possible move.

I've heard nothing but good things about Denver, but I want to go in fully informed and with open eyes. Especially considering I'd be taking a modest pay cut to move there and would have to fund our own move ($10,000+?)

However, if the long term benefits would outweigh these concerns, it is definitely something we'd be willing to do in order to give ourselves a better family life with fewer stressors from the high cost of living in Northern Virginia.

Thanks so much!

V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Denver is more expensive, somewhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
- I understand Denver is considered to be more expensive than other areas in the United States.
1. Housing prices in Denver are more expensive than most of the USA. People coming here from the midwest and Texas are shocked.
You, one the other hand will say: whatever.
Real estate taxes are typically 0.7% of market value.

2. Car license plate fees are much higher than most of the USA.
Some people are used to paying $30/yr and are stunned to get hit for $500/yr here.

3. Everything else is about the same.

4. What you care about are schools.
https://coloradoschoolgrades.com/
With any highly-rated school, you must live within the school's boundary. (We have open enrollment in Colorado, but it is meaningless if there is no space for outsiders.)

5. Houses for sale inventory in greater Denver is at an all-time low. This means: see a house at 0800 and make your offer by 0830.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks. The car license plate fees are crazy! Wow.

Denver honestly sounds a lot like DC to an extent, but I saw some very nice homes with decent sized lots in The Pinery outside Parker. Schools look good there, too. Any opinions on that or what its reputation is?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
The MOST important thing you can look at when buying a house here is where does the water come from. You will probably say 'pshwa! let the government worry about the water, they wouldn't build if they didn't have water'. Well they would and they do.
"The Pinery also owns a significant amount of water rights in the Denver Basin aquifer. This water is in the deep Denver Basin aquifers, and it is a non-renewable water supply. The District’s rights in this aquifer will provide water for many years to come, but development of this water supply is expensive. For example, the cost to drill and equip a well into the Arapahoe formation of the Denver Basin exceeds $1,000,000. These wells are typically around 2000 feet deep and the cost to pump water from that depth is also expensive."

Pinery and some other communities get it from a non-renewable aquifier that is dropping in level at a rapid rate. It very well may run out in your lifetime. If it does those communities are going to be hit with high taxes to try and acquire rights that don't exist because everyone on the aquifier will be clamoring at the same time. They will have to build expensive infrastructure to store any water they can acquire.

You want to be in a community with renewable surface water rights, the older the better.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM

Wow. You're both making me not want to move there...

Any recommendations on a good community with the above?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
If work is in Greenwood Village, try to live in Greenwood Village. You may be used to a huge commute, but that does not mean you should be willing to accept one now. GV is a nice area with good schools. Your life will be markedly improved if your commute is 10 minutes. Trust me on this.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Housing prices in Denver are more expensive than most of the USA. People coming here from the midwest and Texas are shocked.
You, one the other hand will say: whatever.
Real estate taxes are typically 0.7% of market value.

2. Car license plate fees are much higher than most of the USA.
Some people are used to paying $30/yr and are stunned to get hit for $500/yr here.

3. Everything else is about the same.

4. What you care about are schools.
https://coloradoschoolgrades.com/
With any highly-rated school, you must live within the school's boundary. (We have open enrollment in Colorado, but it is meaningless if there is no space for outsiders.)

5. Houses for sale inventory in greater Denver is at an all-time low. This means: see a house at 0800 and make your offer by 0830.

I agree with Dave-I used to live in DC area (I lived in Gaithersburg, MD)-I like Denver better, however, I'm a native so I'm bias...

If you have a job lined up c'mon out and try it. I believe the quality of life is better here...and the weather-summers in Maryland were unbearable.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM

322 posts, read 525,169 times
I'm always a fan of a reduced commute. I'd start my search in Greenwood Village and work my way out. There are plenty of popular suburbs and good schools in the South Denver area and your budget will give you plenty of great options. Littleton, Centennial, and Highlands Ranch are all nearby. You can read more about the communities on the threads are develop your own opinion on what areas are best for you and your family.

Summertime in Denver is awesome. The sun takes a little time to get used to, but the heat is mild and there is no stifling humidity. Plenty of stuff to do in town and in the mountains during the summer.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Commuting in the Denver metro area is not needed. There are nice communities everywhere. Greenwood Village and Centennial will both allow you to bike or walk to work. Your budget will get you a nice , but older, home and you might be able to find one on a .25 acre lot. If your moving to Colorado become a real Coloradoan and bike or walk to work.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Listen to Mic111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The MOST important thing you can look at when buying a house here is where does the water come from.
People from the east coast (where precipitation is 43 inches a year) tend to be very ignorant about Colorado and water (where precip is 15 inches).
The water issues in the Denver suburbs are going to get very nasty for those who do not have "senior water rights".
People are delusional. They believe that they will be bailed out because "no way can we let 300,000 people die of thirst". They do not understand Colorado Water Law.

Something else to understand that is water related.
There no trees on the Front Range that have not been planted by Man. (I am ignoring riparian and a few micro climates.)
The Pinery does not have many trees, in spite of its name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver