Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 PM

48 posts, read 81,110 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Denver or Boulder next summer. We will either be going to CU Boulder or CU Denver. He is almost done with a degree in Broadcasting/Film and wants to direct and write movies. I will be halfway done with a degree in Entrepreneurial Business. I am a singer/songwriter and hoping to pursue a musical career.

What is the best neighborhood in Denver for us if we want to be part of the music and film "scene" in Denver? We also like going out often. He is a big fan of craft beers and I love classic cocktails and dive bars. It would be an additional bonus if we lived within walking distance of a grocery store or at least some type of CVS or Walgreen's.

Also, we are both Jewish and it would be great to be around a Jewish area of Denver if possible. If anyone knows the best Reform synagogue in Denver/Boulder, we would love recommendations. =]

Does anyone have any input on these places as well:

a good veterinarian's office/clinic?
the best comic book shop?
a great mechanic/car repair garage?
a sliding-scale or lower income medical clinic?
a good dentist and optometrist?
a good tire shop?
the best tattoo shops?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Education does not match career desires. Prepare for post graduation dream bubble burst.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I think you need to do some planning on your priorities. It matters not about being Jewish or all the other desires and whims. Your first priority is to finish your education and/or training and/or get experience for these specific career goals. That may not necessarily be formal education or education at a university. It could be actor/entertainment workshops and/or just real good experience in the entertainment industry an/or real exposure and tuning of your talents. It certainly makes sense to go to the area of the country near the best, the brightest and the most innovative entertainment products are created and that is not Denver.

As an ex New Yorker, the Big Apple should be on the top of your list to live. Certainly Los Angeles would be a premier place to get the start in this industry. Both those cities would better meet your career objectives and definitely would provide you other desires and much better than Denver. As an aside, NYC is the largest Jewish city in the world with the brightest and best and Los Angeles have many more Jewish professional in the business you are seeking than Denver. Your could easily hobnob with the leaders of this business at the synagogue. The old adage applies as in all business and more so in this business--it is who you know and the contacts you make.

Do you have some necessary strong reason you have to be in Denver? If not, seek your dreams in those cities.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-17-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think you need to do some planning on your priorities. It matters not about being Jewish or all the other desires and whims. Your first priority is to finish your education and/or training and/or get experience for these specific career goals. That may not necessarily be formal education or education at a university. It could be actor/entertainment workshops and/or just real good experience in the entertainment industry an/or real exposure and tuning of your talents. It certainly makes sense to go to the area of the country near the best, the brightest and the most innovative entertainment products are created and that is not Denver.

As an ex New Yorker, the Big Apple should be on the top of your list to live. Certainly Los Angeles would be a premier place to get the start in this industry. Both those cities would better meet your career objectives and definitely would provide you other desires and much better than Denver. As an aside, NYC is the largest Jewish city in the world with the brightest and best and Los Angeles have many more Jewish professional in the business you are seeking than Denver. Your could easily hobnob with the leaders of this business at the synagogue. The old adage applies as in all business and more so in this business--it is who you know and the contacts you make.

Do you have some necessary strong reason you have to be in Denver? If not, seek your dreams in those cities.

Livecontent
I agree with Livecontent. This is not the place for these types of careers, at least not to make it big (meaning $$$).

Old 02-17-2014, 03:33 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,693 times
Yea, I also have to agree. Denver isn't exactly the best place to start a show-biz career.

I think your best bet is the coasts and even then probably LA/NYC. Unless you want to work in something completely unrelated, then you mind as well come to Denver because you can be unemployed anywhere

Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasiaphoenix View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Denver or Boulder next summer. We will either be going to CU Boulder or CU Denver. He is almost done with a degree in Broadcasting/Film and wants to direct and write movies. I will be halfway done with a degree in Entrepreneurial Business. I am a singer/songwriter and hoping to pursue a musical career.

What is the best neighborhood in Denver for us if we want to be part of the music and film "scene" in Denver? We also like going out often. He is a big fan of craft beers and I love classic cocktails and dive bars. It would be an additional bonus if we lived within walking distance of a grocery store or at least some type of CVS or Walgreen's.

Also, we are both Jewish and it would be great to be around a Jewish area of Denver if possible. If anyone knows the best Reform synagogue in Denver/Boulder, we would love recommendations. =]

Does anyone have any input on these places as well:

a good veterinarian's office/clinic?
the best comic book shop?
a great mechanic/car repair garage?
a sliding-scale or lower income medical clinic?
a good dentist and optometrist?
a good tire shop?
the best tattoo shops?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I would recommend changing your career objectives. They're unrealistic. Sorry to be a jerk about it. Also, Denver has no special connection to either of those industries. Feature film production is a southern California and NYC industry, and increasingly an international one as studios try to control costs as much as possible.

There is no film scene. And while there are an assortment of small theaters, they don't constitute a "music scene" in the way you might describe Nashville, Memphis, Austin, New Orleans, or even a place like Kansas City.

If you really were a talented songwriter, I'm assuming you could do that work from anywhere because it's a solo enterprise. If it's about forging connections in the music industry, they won't be found in Denver.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
OP, is the draw to the Denver area based solely on the programs available at CU?
Are those programs rated highly enough in those areas to warrant that sort of a move?

Currently, I would say that the music scene here is "bigger" than is the film scene, although this area certainly does have its share of film buffs and film festivals. Production-wise, not so much.

You might be better served looking in one of the "spin-off" areas where production is subsidized - for example, Georgia or New Mexico.

If you do have your hearts set on being here for a couple of years, I'd say the area around the Capital building would be your best bet, although you would probably be fine in Englewood (home to the Gothic Theater) as well. I don't know anything about Boulder.

Some stream of consciousness answers to your questions:

There are Walgreen's everywhere.
Lots of tattoo places along Colfax Avenue - "House of Ink" and "Thick as Thieves" seem to garner good reviews.
I live too far east of Denver proper to give useful answers for the rest.

Some random links (all but the last are current):

Mile High Comics - Your New And Collectible Comic Book Store

Denver Comic Con | June 13-15, 2014Denver Comic Con | June 13-15, 2014

2014 Film Festivals in Colorado

Sie FilmCenter | Denver Film Society at the Sie FilmCenter

Denver Musician's Association: UPPER COLFAX ROOT 40 MUSIC FESTIVAL AND EXPO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver