Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,601 times

Advertisements

I love west of Denver, I need to Sod my lawn. How soon can I do it? I was hoping for late March.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
For God's sake, let it go back to native grass. Bluegrass is the scourge of Colorado.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
You might want to call a garden center, I'm sure there's one in Denver. I would think late March or April, or as soon as the ground has thawed.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Hopefully Denver has one or more water utilities that do what our's does here in COLO SPGS, which is to run a demonstration garden showing various means to xerixscape one's property to avoid thirsty varieties via use of native species and rocks. If not, take a day trip down here to see ours and enjoy some of our good eateries while at it.

If you must plant something needing irrigation, look into underground drip irrigation which uses vastly less water than the typical sprayer heads.

FYI: The state of Colorado passed a statute a few years back that over rides all HOA covenants so that you may xerixscape 100% if you wish to, even if your HOA covenants specify a certain amount of grass. IIRC the same statute allows you to put solar panels on the roof, despite HOA covenants restricting that.

If you are going with sod, I'd say late April at the soonest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,601 times
Should have realized this wasn't a good place to ask this.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:44 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
Mid-January on top of at least 6 inches of snow. Trust me on this ...

Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
Planting blue grass between late April towards mid June is preferable in the Denver area; make sure you get a watering easement to water daily from your city of residence before planting if planted during water restricted times..planted blue grass at a property last July myself.water towards eve. If posible.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Should have realized this wasn't a good place to ask this.
Why? because some posters gave you some other options instead of sod.

I grew up in Green New York and grass was green without any effort and most lawns were what they were and few did obsessive care--I would lay on the grass and look for a 4 leaf clover. When, I moved here, I was stunned that many people made their lawn so perfect and pristine with that artificial bright dark green and no clover. They water their lawn continuously with the water running down the sidewalk They use insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, fertilizers and many times in excess They are so proud they buy organic and natural foods and yet they bring all of this fine food through the miasma of these chemicals surrounding their home.

My neighbor was one of these and told her to be careful with all these chemicals but she wanted to have the best lawn so she overdid it, constantly, without any concern. Her dog died of cancer and she refused to equate that with her habits--then she died of cancer at 60. We need to remember that too much is too much and perhaps some is still too much. Another neighbor just died of cancer from Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam--a herbicide.

I never saw the need to use these products to the level that is required for a lawn. In my yard, Dandelions grew and I ate them. Over years, I got rid of all my lawn with a nice collection of plants, bushes, trees, mulch and some rock. I do not water anything once it starts to take hold. If it survives, so bet it. If it dies, it is not meant to be in this area. I have squirrels playing all around. The neighborhood cats love to lie lazily in my yard. Oh, I still have my crop of the "teeth of the lion"--dandelions.

My water bill is minimal. I do not have the problems with the continuous maintenance of a sprinkler system. It is real freedom!

Livecontent

Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Why? because some posters gave you some other options instead of sod.

I grew up in Green New York and grass was green without any effort and most lawns were what they were and few did obsessive care--I would lay on the grass and look for a 4 leaf clover. When, I moved here, I was stunned that many people made their lawn so perfect and pristine with that artificial bright dark green and no clover. They water their lawn continuously with the water running down the sidewalk They use insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, fertilizers and many times in excess They are so proud they buy organic and natural foods and yet they bring all of this fine food through the miasma of these chemicals surrounding their home.

My neighbor was one of these and told her to be careful with all these chemicals but she wanted to have the best lawn so she overdid it, constantly, without any concern. Her dog died of cancer and she refused to equate that with her habits--then she died of cancer at 60. We need to remember that too much is too much and perhaps some is still too much. Another neighbor just died of cancer from Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam--a herbicide.

I never saw the need to use these products to the level that is required for a lawn. In my yard, Dandelions grew and I ate them. Over years, I got rid of all my lawn with a nice collection of plants, bushes, trees, mulch and some rock. I do not water anything once it starts to take hold. If it survives, so bet it. If it dies, it is not meant to be in this area. I have squirrels playing all around. The neighborhood cats love to lie lazily in my yard. Oh, I still have my crop of the "teeth of the lion"--dandelions.

My water bill is minimal. I do not have the problems with the continuous maintenance of a sprinkler system. It is real freedom!

Livecontent
I agree with everything you've said. But what particularly interested me about your post is that you mention the artificial look of the deep green lawns. Aside from all the practical arguments against using high quality drinking water to grow turf in a dry area, I've always found the deep green of irrigated turf to look unnatural when juxtaposed against a naturally drier area. Nice to know that at least one Coloradoan shares that perspective.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I love west of Denver, I need to Sod my lawn. How soon can I do it? I was hoping for late March.

Thanks!
Easy: when sod is being SOLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver