Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM

55 posts, read 78,621 times

Advertisements

I'm trying a different approach to applying for jobs out-of-state. I am looking to move to Denver (I have made a recent trip there to check out the area) and am looking for anyone that knows of any open jobs or has connections to jobs (or connections at your job).

Although I have a BA in Journalism, my career options are open. My history has included 7 years working in the medical industry, 3.5 years in construction industry (administrative) and 2.5 years in a 501(c)6 organization working with the business community.

I am interested and open to working in retail, restaurant, administrative roles, executive assistant roles...
I am looking for a long term job (5+ years). Having benefits aren't a big concern for me (although vacation time is a must), looking for at least 30+ hours per week. Prefer a consistent schedule. Prefer to work daytime M-F; I'd like to use evenings (or consistent free time) to get involved in the community/volunteer time but not limited to that schedule. I am very detail oriented and like jobs in which I stay busy. I also like doing research.

I have tried applying for jobs online but with no response or rejections. That is why I am trying this approach. If anyone has some leads to share, it would be much appreciated. I am wiling to do Skype interviews and will fly out at my expense for a 2nd interviews only. I'm also willing to connect via LinkedIn as my page will add to my credibility.

Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM

164 posts, read 596,458 times
Look at the Craigslist section titled "Jobs". I mean, click the heading that says "jobs" which will take you to every posting from that day as well as the days leading up to it. It seems that during the week, there are about 400+ jobs posted every day. Many are duplicates, but many are new.

You will have much better luck being here in Denver and being able to interview in person. Having a non-local address may land your resume in the trash before they even look at it.

I have learned that it is often difficult to have everything line up perfectly in any endeavor.....so, I often will just get a couple things lined up and then go from there. To be inflexible ahead of time could lead to paralysis. See the big picture and make a sacrifice or two in order for it all to be fully realized.

Good Luck with moving forward in whatever capacity.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM

39 posts, read 66,020 times
Ive applied for over 80 jobs in the last two months. Ive had 2 interviews for jobs that pay 11 an hour. When I moved here I was making 40k. Theres a lot of jobs posted, but tons of people applying for them. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
You are probably over qualified for the jobs you are applying to. Retail and other jobs that pay below $15/hr will probably not want a BA working there because they will view you as a short term solution. My wife has that problem. Also with the economy still as crappy as it is, there are a ton of recent grads applying to those jobs due to lack of experience. Entry level jobs have vanished in recent years.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
You are probably over qualified for the jobs you are applying to. Retail and other jobs that pay below $15/hr will probably not want a BA working there because they will view you as a short term solution. My wife has that problem. Also with the economy still as crappy as it is, there are a ton of recent grads applying to those jobs due to lack of experience. Entry level jobs have vanished in recent years.
ROFL.

I was a double major. When I moved to a ****ty town, the only places that wanted to hire me were retail, near minimum wage, and every single one of them was happy to offer me a job. The jobs sucked and were an insult to my education, but you can be sure there wasn't a single manager that felt like they didn't DESERVE to have people with 4 year degrees working a ******* cash register.

The bachelor's degree is like a golden ticket to making $8/hour. It's like a ticket to get into willy wonka's chocolate factory, but no one tells you in advance you are going to be an oompa loompa, or whatever the slaves are called.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
ROFL.

I was a double major. When I moved to a ****ty town, the only places that wanted to hire me were retail, near minimum wage, and every single one of them was happy to offer me a job. The jobs sucked and were an insult to my education, but you can be sure there wasn't a single manager that felt like they didn't DESERVE to have people with 4 year degrees working a ******* cash register.

The bachelor's degree is like a golden ticket to making $8/hour. It's like a ticket to get into willy wonka's chocolate factory, but no one tells you in advance you are going to be an oompa loompa, or whatever the slaves are called.
What did you major in?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times
Quote:
ROFL.

From another read, you indicated that you and your wife are doing fairly well, maxing out your 401ks and IRAs. Did the degree ultimately pay off?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
OP, how much are you looking to make?

Just some advice, but IMO it looks like you are asking for too much. I am in a far different industry than you have worked in, or are looking to work in, but people that mention fairly strict parameters (read: less flexibility) usually go to the bottom of the heap no matter how qualified they might be.

I've conducted dozens of interviews over the past few years, and some of them make such obliviously fatal errors. We all know what people "prefer" and want, but sometimes that stands between you and the slightly less qualified other guy who will bend every which way to simply get the job.

The online thing simply doesn't do anything to help you stand apart from the rest, especially if you aren't local. I'd suggest getting here, getting some sort of restaurant/retail/etc job to support yourself initially, and then pound the pavement for a more real job after that.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,058,899 times
This is probably for locals but Sears in Thornton is hiring. I was just there and they had signs out. In addition they put a flier in each bag. They are looking for commissioned sales in electronics, vacuums/mattresses, appliances, home improvement, and fine jewelry as well as cashiers, auto center customer service, and tire and battery installers.

I hate to say it but with your background/degree I don't see you getting a job remotely. There are too many people in the area that can fill the jobs that you can. Not to say you wouldn't get something if you were here. Especially if you talk more about what you bring to the job instead of what the job needs to do for you. Your written English is good so I think you could do well in an administrative assistant role. You might want to get on with the temp. agencies and try to find a temp. to hire position.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
ROFL.

Hmmm. I have a bachelor's in Political Science. I don't use it, but having a bachelor's did get me hired. I make a lot more than minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver