Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,919 times

Advertisements

I enter the negotiation stage for a new job next week. It's consulting so I would be traveling 70-80%, but mostly home on Fridays and weekends. I'd be moving from Michigan, and Denver has been high on my list of relocation possibilities for a long time due to outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, etc.) and climate. Fairly certain I will be taking this job once the details of the offer are worked out, so I have begun doing the initial research on neighborhoods.

I'm a 27 year-old single male looking for a studio or 1 BR apartment in an area with other residents in their mid-20s to early 30s, at a rent of $1000/mo or slightly less. I will probably be able to afford a bit more, but I'm considering that I would only be spending weekends in town, and I'm also accounting for the possibility of paying a monthly parking fee. I'm sure a lot of people are going to suggest I find a like-minded roommate, which I could do, however my initial thought is that I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of finding one. Plus, now that I am five years out of college, I also tend to prefer some privacy in my living space.

My preliminary investigations have brought up the neighborhoods in the title as good possibilities. I like the idea of living relatively close to downtown, but if there is a suburb that fits my description, I would certainly consider it.

1. What would the approximate travel time to/from DIA be during rush hour from this area?

2. I'm seeing a lot of apartments in the area with parking arrangements that range from free-for-all street parking, to a dedicated outdoor space. Is it possible to find apartments with covered parking, or else how much might garaged parking cost?

3. What is crime like in these neighborhoods? Anything beyond the typical alcohol-fueled fights and petty crime?

4. Are there any suburbs I should consider that would fit the bill and are, or will be, on the light rail line?

5. I do a fair amount of cooking when I'm home. Do these neighborhoods have shopping centers within walking/biking distance? Does Denver have any farmers' markets during the summer months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
You're probably not going to find a whole ton for under $1k/mo in Highland or LoDo. I think central Denver (Capitol Hill, Cheeseman Park, Congress Park, Uptown) are probably better options for your budget.

There are apartments out there with garages (I live in one); they're just harder to find. When I lived downtown, I paid an extra $180 month for garage parking since my building didn't have any parking (on top of rent, which is now up to $1320/mo), but now that I'm in Congress Park, I'm not paying any extra; a garage space is included in my rent.

Rush hour from Central Denver to the airport is usually not terrible; I usually give myself 45 minutes or so, checking google maps for any accidents before I leave. If your work travel is anything like mine though, I'm not dealing with rush hour because I'm taking the first flight out on Monday morning.

Crime really isn't too big of an issue to worry about. Lots of homeless people downtown and in capitol hill, with fewer in the other areas mentioned.

There's a good amount of young people living in the apartments near the light rail lines in the Denver Tech Center (south of the city). One line follows I-25 to Lone Tree, another pretty much follows Santa Fe (85) to Littleton. The light rail will get you downtown though, not to the airport. By 2016, the rail line from downtown to the airport should be open.

Most of these neighborhoods have grocery shopping within walking distance. Lower Highlands has Vitamin Cottage (haven't spent much time in there, so I don't know how good it is for everyday grocery options), West Highland has a Sprouts near 38th & Tennyson, Golden Triangle has a King Soopers at 9th & Speer, Capitol Hill has a King Soopers at 9th & Corona and a Whole Foods at 9th & Emerson (with a Trader Joes opening in the future), in Cheeseman Park you'd probably either go to the Capitol Hill options or to the Congress Park options (which include a Sprouts at Colfax & Garfield, and a Trader Joe's at 8th & Colorado). Downtown, you'd likely be driving somewhere--a King Soopers is planned close to Union Station but I don't know when it'll be open. I know I typically drove to the KS at 9th & Speer. I live less than 2 blocks from a grocery store and it's one of my favorite things about where I live.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Your budget is generally too low for almost any desirable area in Denver proper, that said there are some occasional bargains...I agree with above poster considering Capital HIll, Congress Park..Look adjacent or in Rhino , DU, Platte Park, and South Downing, Corona street Englewood as well. 1k is pushing it, but there are the smaller studios, one bedrooms in great locations that appear every so often.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Colorado Division of Housing: Apartment Vacancies Rise With New Apartments in 2013's Fourth Quarter

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM

356 posts, read 623,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2BNG View Post
I enter the negotiation stage for a new job next week. It's consulting so I would be traveling 70-80%, but mostly home on Fridays and weekends. I'd be moving from Michigan, and Denver has been high on my list of relocation possibilities for a long time due to outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, etc.) and climate. Fairly certain I will be taking this job once the details of the offer are worked out, so I have begun doing the initial research on neighborhoods.

I'm a 27 year-old single male looking for a studio or 1 BR apartment in an area with other residents in their mid-20s to early 30s, at a rent of $1000/mo or slightly less. I will probably be able to afford a bit more, but I'm considering that I would only be spending weekends in town, and I'm also accounting for the possibility of paying a monthly parking fee. I'm sure a lot of people are going to suggest I find a like-minded roommate, which I could do, however my initial thought is that I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of finding one. Plus, now that I am five years out of college, I also tend to prefer some privacy in my living space.

My preliminary investigations have brought up the neighborhoods in the title as good possibilities. I like the idea of living relatively close to downtown, but if there is a suburb that fits my description, I would certainly consider it.

1. What would the approximate travel time to/from DIA be during rush hour from this area?
GT, Cap Hill and Cheeseman are all good options with easy access to DIA. Colfax->Colorado->I-70 and your're well on your way.

Quote:
2. I'm seeing a lot of apartments in the area with parking arrangements that range from free-for-all street parking, to a dedicated outdoor space. Is it possible to find apartments with covered parking, or else how much might garaged parking cost?
I have two friends that moved from Michigan and live in Cap Hill area and love it. They pay around $1k/mo with a $100/mo extra for a reserved space. This seems to be the average price for a reserved spot. If you don't want to pay the extra money it's just a free for all on the street, meaning you could be parked a few blocks from your place.

Quote:
3. What is crime like in these neighborhoods? Anything beyond the typical alcohol-fueled fights and petty crime?
These locations do have crime but mostly petty.

Quote:
4. Are there any suburbs I should consider that would fit the bill and are, or will be, on the light rail line?
27yo single dude- I wouldn't unless you want to be home all the time in peace and quiet.

Quote:
5. I do a fair amount of cooking when I'm home. Do these neighborhoods have shopping centers within walking/biking distance? Does Denver have any farmers' markets during the summer months?
Yes- GT, Cap Hill and Cheeseman have grocery stores close by.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:09 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,594 times
Like other people have said, your budget might be too low to get what you are asking. You will have to compromise *somewhere*. As per neighborhoods, those are all great neighborhoods! I live right downtown (CBD) and would be much happier in LoHi, Lodo, or capitol hill

Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
Capitol Hill. That's probably your best bet for that budget. But DO NOT be tempted to rent a place without assigned parking even if you have to pay extra for it. That is the worst place in town to find a parking spot on the street. The reason most of the parking is outdoors is that it's mostly older, smaller buildings (like pre-WWII) but there are also some 1960's era low-rise and hi-rise ones that do have garages. They are just more expensive, especially if they are close to Cheesman Park.

I'd also check out the RINO area north of Broadway downtown. It won't be easy to find anything under $1200 but it's a great neighborhood and way easier to park too. Just don't get too close to Welton. It can get kind of sketchy. Stay near Blake, Walnut, and Larimer.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Capitol Hill. That's probably your best bet for that budget. But DO NOT be tempted to rent a place without assigned parking even if you have to pay extra for it. That is the worst place in town to find a parking spot on the street. The reason most of the parking is outdoors is that it's mostly older, smaller buildings (like pre-WWII) but there are also some 1960's era low-rise and hi-rise ones that do have garages. They are just more expensive, especially if they are close to Cheesman Park.

I'd also check out the RINO area north of Broadway downtown. It won't be easy to find anything under $1200 but it's a great neighborhood and way easier to park too. Just don't get too close to Welton. It can get kind of sketchy. Stay near Blake, Walnut, and Larimer.
I would say that goes for the whole city.

Quote:
Are there any suburbs I should consider that would fit the bill and are, or will be, on the light rail line?
There are lots of suburbs on the light rail. However, I agree with those who say as a young single guy it's not a good idea. The only singles you're likely to meet in the burbs are single parents. The farther out you go, the more that becomes the case.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,919 times
Alright, so dedicated parking is a must (which I already figured). Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver