Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It's different for different vehicles. My Jeep locks the doors automatically after you're moving like 20-30mph. All the doors unlock when the the key is out and the driver or passenger open's their door
Yes, thats my experience with new cars. Now that I think about it, it is a security issue. But seriously if someone wants to jack your car, let them have it. Your car is not worth your life. The craziest thing I saw in that video was the woman running after her car. She was lucky she didn't get dragged or run over.

Even if you do lock your doors in that situation, a carjacker is likely to point a gun at you through the window. If you are going to resist them, make sure your path is clear, and get your car out of there fast. Because carjackers have been known to shoot at drivers who don't cooperate.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
We have no idea what else he may have done if she drove off. He may have done something else or it could have ended there. In any case, I think she was just trying to help him.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I believe that they already have charged him with attempted murder. My understanding of the law, is that they don't have to prove much. Just the fact that he was driving 100+ mph, trying to get a way from the police, and in the process almost killed the cop, is enough to charge him with attempted murder. It would have been murder if the cop had died. For that matter it would have been murder if anyone else had died for any reason, as a result of his actions.

Though I agree that he probably wasn't trying to kill the cop. But that doesn't matter to the law.
Typically with a charge of murder or attempted murder the prosecution has to prove intent. There would have to be clear evidence the suspect meant to run down the officer, and I don't see it.

In this particular instance it doesn't matter if they charge him with attempted murder or 1st degree assault. With his priors either charge will net an effective life sentence with a conviction. I'd personally go for the assault charge. MUCH easier to prove.

FWIW - had the prosecution in the George Zimmerman trial charged him with manslaughter instead of 2nd Degree Murder, he'd probably be in jail right now. The DA's office bowed to pressure and charged him with the wrong crime.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Typically with a charge of murder or attempted murder the prosecution has to prove intent. There would have to be clear evidence the suspect meant to run down the officer, and I don't see it.
I don't believe that is correct.

"The rule of felony murder is a legal doctrine in some common law jurisdictions that broadens the crime of murder in two ways. First, when an offender kills accidentally or without specific intent to kill in the commission of a felony, the offender can be charged with murder. Second, it makes any participant in such a felony criminally liable for any deaths that occur during or in furtherance of that felony."

Felony murder rule

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-3-102 (1) (d)

1. Murder in the first degree. A person commits the class 1 felony of murder in the first degree if:

d) under circumstances evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life generally, he or she knowingly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person or persons, and thereby causes the death of another; or

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-3-102 (1) (d)

Last edited by KaaBoom; 03-14-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't believe that is correct.

"The rule of felony murder is a legal doctrine in some common law jurisdictions that broadens the crime of murder in two ways. First, when an offender kills accidentally or without specific intent to kill in the commission of a felony, the offender can be charged with murder. Second, it makes any participant in such a felony criminally liable for any deaths that occur during or in furtherance of that felony."

Felony murder rule
Ahh yes, forgot about the Lisl Auman loophole.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM

194 posts, read 273,289 times
I have a 2007 Honda. Back then that was still considered luxury for them. LOL. I had to spring for the top of the line to get automatic windows as that was an option I could get! The auto locks weren't available. It used to be the basic things Chevy and Ford have done for 20 years weren't on Honda or Toyota.

I think that has changed now….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I thought cars door automatically locked when the car starts moving? I think that when you place the transmission into Park that the doors automatically UNlock, as they do on my newer RAV4; that would explain the seemingly inexplicable reason that he was able to jerk open the door and yank people out.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
That video showing the hour long ordeal has a spot at the 15:41 mark- a billboard that says, "We brake for good drivers".

I'm trying to figure out what was going through the cops heads at the 5:00 mark. The three of them get onto the highway as he's driving off the exit right in front of them. Then at 24:17 this cop misses him totally, then the attempt at 24:52, epic fail. There's got to be a better way to do that. That did not look very safe. Maybe throw them out BEFORE the bad guy drives over them.

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-15-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
I am shocked that people don't drive with their doors locked. I've done that always….. even in small town Iowa. If the woman that was car jacked had locked doors she would of had time to drive away when he grabbed the door.

My driver's ed instructor taught us that if we were in an accident with locked doors the chances of falling out were lessened. Could be true in some situations……But it could also trap you in a bad situation. Sometimes getting thrown clear is best!
The mom apparently left the vehicle running in a parking space at a gas station with the child inside it while she went inside to buy a cup of coffee. I read in the local paper she will not be charged!
Car-chase suspect jailed; total bail set at $3.5 million - Boulder Daily Camera
Boy safe, man arrested after car theft from Longmont, high speed pursuit - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The mom apparently left the vehicle running in a parking space at a gas station with the child inside it while she went inside to buy a cup of coffee. I read in the local paper she will not be charged!
Car-chase suspect jailed; total bail set at $3.5 million - Boulder Daily Camera
Boy safe, man arrested after car theft from Longmont, high speed pursuit - Boulder Daily Camera
Really thought the mom should be charged with child endangerment. Seems like creeps are crawling out of rocks; waiting to jump on an opportunity to grab a car or rob someone. The mom should have known better!! We always think stuff won't happen.............just going to run in and grab a coffee or cigs a lotto ticket...be right back.......not with creeps around every corner.

Too bad this young man decided on a life of crime. What a driver!! Really grateful no one was killed. He messed up so many cars...how many?

I know he is a creep and has no empathy for people; but he sure would have made a great stunt driver.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That video showing the hour long ordeal has a spot at the 15:41 mark- a billboard that says, "We brake for good drivers".

I'm trying to figure out what was going through the cops heads at the 5:00 mark.
Yeah, that was a major communications FAIL. For those who missed it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver