Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,114,686 times

Advertisements

For the past few years there has been an ongoing gang war on the northeast side of town, around the City Park and Park Hill areas. Shots were fired again last night at York & Bruce Randolph, but of course you won't ever see it reported on the news. Cops always show up with lights blazing, then mill around for 20 minutes and then ride off.

Is there any end in sight to this ****? As more affluent people are moving to these neighborhoods, we have to wonder if the police will ever get a handle on it, especially those with young children who may be hit by a stray bullet.

I have always respected the long-time residents of this neighborhood, understanding that this was a black neighborhood for decades and I am the immigrant, but at some point I have to call them out for not being able to control their youth. At what point to the new residents say enough is enough?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM

473 posts, read 849,882 times
oh brother. If anyone's playing I counted six. Almost like Mad Libs...

Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM

977 posts, read 1,330,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
For the past few years there has been an ongoing gang war on the northeast side of town, around the City Park and Park Hill areas. Shots were fired again last night at York & Bruce Randolph, but of course you won't ever see it reported on the news. Cops always show up with lights blazing, then mill around for 20 minutes and then ride off.

Is there any end in sight to this ****? As more affluent people are moving to these neighborhoods, we have to wonder if the police will ever get a handle on it, especially those with young children who may be hit by a stray bullet.

I have always respected the long-time residents of this neighborhood, understanding that this was a black neighborhood for decades and I am the immigrant, but at some point I have to call them out for not being able to control their youth. At what point to the new residents say enough is enough?
Few years? Try decades. Check out the Summer of Violence in 1993.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Few years? Try decades. Check out the Summer of Violence in 1993.
Understood. But it has been only in the past few years that these neighborhoods are seeing gentrification. The police were able to ignore the situation for decades but now they have to answer to a new demographic who pay much higher property taxes than ever before and demand a safe neighborhood in return. I'm sure this situation has happened in neighborhoods all over America. Just curious how the cops handled it there, and on what timeline.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,064,390 times
It's sad that a person would get on a forum stating they expect basic police protection because they are well to do but consider it OK that this service was overlooked or denied to less affluent people. Especially something as basic as protection from gunshots. It is one thing to take up a cause but to try and imply that the existing residents considered it OK to have gunshots outside their doors is beyond belief.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
It's sad that a person would get on a forum stating they expect basic police protection because they are well to do but consider it OK that this service was overlooked or denied to less affluent people. Especially something as basic as protection from gunshots. It is one thing to take up a cause but to try and imply that the existing residents considered it OK to have gunshots outside their doors is beyond belief.
I'm sorry you feel this way, but it is just the truth. If a city wants to collect high property taxes from a gentrifying area, they have to take measures to ensure those property values remain high.

I never said the existing residents considered the situation OK. I said that due to the low value of the neighborhood, police were able to ignore it.

Of course, its very easy to criticize me from your purpose-built, whitebread suburb, right? You've never had to worry about such things.

This was meant to be an open discussion from fellow homeowners in a similar situation. If you haven't lived in areas like these, save your judgement.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,288,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Actually OP is correct.
Neighborhoods are divided into different categories like high profile (or something like zone 1, I forgot. One of my friends is in that kind of neighborhood) where houses are expensive and cops do a lot more frequent drive by every night.
They even do quarterly safety meetings where they bring fire trucks and other trucks to display.

So while all need safety and protection, police dept. does have different category and service for different areas.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM

139 posts, read 300,868 times
Boy did mic111 stuff alot of words into your mouth LOL

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM

371 posts, read 494,677 times
If you're majorly worried about safety, and you have the money to afford a safe place to life, then DON'T MOVE TO A NEIGHBORHOOD THAT YOU KNOW IS UNSAFE.

I know it's hip and cool and trendy to be a part of the first wave of gentrification, but being a part of the first wave of gentrification means that you're going to have to deal with graffiti and crime and undesirable elements.

And, according to the city of Denver, crime is down 33% in City Park compared to the first 3 quarters of last year. North Park Hill and Northeast Park Hill are is up...by about 3%.

http://www.denvergov.org/LinkClick.a...370&mid=501722

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,242,578 times
These types of things used to be commonplace across Five Points into Lodo, Highland and Capitol Hill. Slowly it has been pushed northward and that will continue as Denver grows. Areas on the fringe like Bruce Randolph & York will remain transitional areas with occasional crime from long-standing gang issues in the neighborhood. In time that will probably be a much safer area, just like 17th & Washington is now full of nice restaurants and apartments where 15 years ago it was in a similar transition. Same goes for all of Lower Highland and Baker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver