Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM

325 posts, read 372,216 times

Advertisements

My family and I are, thank God, finally moving back to Denver after living in Michigan for four years. The last time we lived there--only for about a year--we lived off of Kipling and 470 in Littleton. I liked the area, but coming from Los Angeles, it was too quiet at the time. I missed the downtown, urban vibe of the city. Now coming back from Michigan, that won't seem so isolated anymore. However, I have a 5-year-old that will be starting kindergarten in the fall and a toddler, and I've heard much about Highlands Ranch schools. I know the HR stereotype--the homogenous, master-planned community, but do the schools, the rec centers, and the family activities make it worthwhile to pick HR over Littleton or Greenwood Village?

Any and all opinions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,465,367 times
90,000 folks call Highlands Ranch home, including me since 1999. Now that my youngest is graduating high school, I am considering a move.

The 4 rec centers, miles of open space, the tennis courts, the 8 pools....it's not an easy decision to leave.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,131,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
My family and I are, thank God, finally moving back to Denver after living in Michigan for four years. The last time we lived there--only for about a year--we lived off of Kipling and 470 in Littleton. I liked the area, but coming from Los Angeles, it was too quiet at the time. I missed the downtown, urban vibe of the city. Now coming back from Michigan, that won't seem so isolated anymore. However, I have a 5-year-old that will be starting kindergarten in the fall and a toddler, and I've heard much about Highlands Ranch schools. I know the HR stereotype--the homogenous, master-planned community, but do the schools, the rec centers, and the family activities make it worthwhile to pick HR over Littleton or Greenwood Village?

Any and all opinions welcome!
No. It is a well-documented fact that I am not a fan of DCSD.

Schools are underfunded and parents are hit with all kinds of fees. Need to ride the bus? Buy an annual Z-card for $25 and pay $.50 each way. Want to play a HS sport? Pay a $150 fee per sport. That great teacher that has taught in Douglas County for four years? Moving to a district that respects her.

Douglas County schools are starting to circle the drain. So much potential, so little support. Oh well, maybe a $4,500 voucher to a private school charging $15,000 will help.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM

254 posts, read 513,903 times
See HRCAonline.org for information about the community. There are many, many activities for kids, as well as for adults. Miles of trails, Backcountry for hiking and viewing wildlife, 4 recreation centers, summer concerts, endless sports, art, music programs, etc. It's not for everyone, however. The reputation of the schools in DC is declining, but Jefferson county is facing the same/similar issues with in the school district, so I'm not sure there's a benefit to Littleton vs. HR, but of course each family must evaluate what is best for them.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
90,000 folks call Highlands Ranch home, including me since 1999. Now that my youngest is graduating high school, I am considering a move.

The 4 rec centers, miles of open space, the tennis courts, the 8 pools....it's not an easy decision to leave.
2B, why are you leaving? I have read of people who say they'll move to LoDo or something like that once the kids are up and out. Did you like the school system?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
No. It is a well-documented fact that I am not a fan of DCSD.

Schools are underfunded and parents are hit with all kinds of fees. Need to ride the bus? Buy an annual Z-card for $25 and pay $.50 each way. Want to play a HS sport? Pay a $150 fee per sport. That great teacher that has taught in Douglas County for four years? Moving to a district that respects her.

Douglas County schools are starting to circle the drain. So much potential, so little support. Oh well, maybe a $4,500 voucher to a private school charging $15,000 will help.
David, these are good things to know. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
See HRCAonline.org for information about the community. There are many, many activities for kids, as well as for adults. Miles of trails, Backcountry for hiking and viewing wildlife, 4 recreation centers, summer concerts, endless sports, art, music programs, etc. It's not for everyone, however. The reputation of the schools in DC is declining, but Jefferson county is facing the same/similar issues with in the school district, so I'm not sure there's a benefit to Littleton vs. HR, but of course each family must evaluate what is best for them.
Oh gosh, MountainK. Reputation of both schools declining? Do you need to be in the Cherry Creek School District, then?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,631,559 times
We live in HR and we still love it. The problem isn't with the HR schools but the Douglas County School District as a whole or the administration that a lot of us tried to vote out last November. The board tends to have a agenda that a lot of us parents don't believe in but that is something you can research. My daughter is in elementary and so far we are happy with the direction the school is going. It sounds like the district is going to start pushing more money into the schools based on the emails I have received from them. I will have to see it to believe it. For now we are staying put.

The parks, trails and rec centers are awesome. On top of it there are a ton of restaurants and shopping. HR is also not far from Park Meadows. Eventually the light rail will have a station at Lucent but that could be years away.

Yes, my home is cookie cutter but that doesn't bother me.

To each their own.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,465,367 times
Initially, I was not a fan of HR at all. As a Realtor, I had sold a few houses, toured Nortridge Rec Center, and I bought into what the naysayers were saying. Then, in 1998, when hubby's job moved from Hampden & Wadsworth to near Centennial airport - I said let's buy a new house. Eastridge was built, Westridge was built The schools were rated excellent. So in 15 years, bought three houses here, sold two. I have been a fan ever since.

Since my youngest is graduating soon, I can start to plan an exit strategy. I still have two dogs, so LoDo is not yet the option I wish to take. They like the 2.5 mile walks in the open space, daily. But, since I am from DC, I like the older Victorian type of housing stock. I also am a fan of energy efficient newer housing.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM

254 posts, read 513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Oh gosh, MountainK. Reputation of both schools declining? Do you need to be in the Cherry Creek School District, then?
Sorry, I don't know anything about CCSD. Despite the grumblings from some parents and teachers, test scores in Jefferson and Douglas county schools are among the highest in the state of CO. You could do much, much worse, even in the Denver metro area, than attend a school in these districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver